The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers in SW Ohio

Hello! Longtime lurker here, I am in need of some information about the hunter scene in SW Ohio. I'm a born and raised Floridian who married a military man in April. We have since been stationed at Wright Patt AFB in Dayton, Ohio and have bought a small farm east of town. Between new marriage, buying our first farm and moving the horses I haven't really had a chance to research trainers in the area. From what I can tell I will likely have to venture out of the Dayton area and am willing to travel to Cincinnati or Columbus. I am looking for a trainer who does the A shows and a few nice schooling shows each year. I want someone who puts an emphasis on the basics, correct riding and flatwork, and who can help me with my two greenies. Primarily I do the hunters but one of my mares is a jumper through and through!
    Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated!

I'm from cincinnati and have trained with David Beisel who is good with the youngsters, but not flat oriented.. Patty and Richard Rogers are great, their assistant Sarah Mechlin is an amazing young professional. Also if you're willing to drive a little further Treesdale Farms (Abby Blankenship) is in Indianapolis, a little less than 2 hours. They are amazing also, i currently ride with abby when i am home!

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by imac34 View Post
    ...Patty and Richard Rogers are great, their assistant Sarah Mechlin is an amazing young professional.

Yup...but Patty and Rich have merged their business, Branch Hill, with Mindy Darst and are now training out of Lochmoor in Lebanon, about midway between Dayton and Cincy. Sarah is still there, usually on the road but there is another very good assistant who emphasizes flatwork always at home.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

You might want to contact Tidy Rabbit who has a farm south of Dayton. She does jumpers and hunters I believe. There is also a local hunter circuit that's great for greenies called the Dayton Local Show Circuit (DLSC) info at http://www.trailsend.biz/dlsc.html They run dressage and hunter schooling shows. A lot of the barns participating have instructors, don't think many do A shows. There's also Mindy Darst and Willhelm Genn in Lebanon.
    David Beisel is great, but don't know whether he goes south for the winter.
    There's Ohio Hunter Jumper circuit, too. www.ohja.net
    Are you in Beavercreek?

Jeremy Sims is operating out of Dancing Horse Farm in Lebanon. I think he's great and he does have a great program which emphasizes good flat work to carry over into the jumping (both hunters and jumpers). I don't board with him since he's a bit of a drive (I also work at WPAFB, and board my 3 H/J horses north of the base) but I do trailer down for lessons and schooling rides, and I love that he really works with each horse as an individual, and doesn't try to cram them into a program. He treats haul-in clients seriously, and does a great job setting up my giant green hanoverian to make him easier for tiny me. Jeremy does the better local schooling shows as well as a rated circuit and could be a good match for you. Feel free to PM me if you need more information about the WPAFB-area horse scene and I'd love to know if you're accepting boarders at your "small farm" as I would prefer to find someplace a bit closer to home.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Thanks everyone for the help! I guess I have some phone calls to make!

Yep, I'm about 10 minutes west of downtown Dayton. About 25 minutes from WPAFB.

You can see our horses and farm at http://www.stoneybrookfarmohio.com

We have a strong emphasis on dressage; but young horses aimed to the jumper ring is our niche. We do everything from the DLSC with the babies on up to the AA shows. We're presently full but would be happy to chat with you about who is who is the area.

Welcome to Ohio!
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

I would have recommended Tidy Rabbit too