The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile sharing my ottb stories...you share yours

so with the change in weather one would expect perhaps an even more energetic ottb. well, i have 4 of them. 2 boys and 2 girls. my little grey slater was congruent with the weather...a bit unpredictable. he was tight in the back and ready to run. not TROT nor WALK. jig and bolt. i did jump him up the hedge row with my friend mary as a barrier between him and the barn and then i ended it. it wasn't a fun energy he was carrying, it was a bratty one.

then i rode my 3 yr old tb mare who i haven't been on since aug 14 at fairhill. she popped a splint and even though she was sound i gave her time off and injection with wraps. i expected her to be wild. nope!!! she plugged out to ring. went right through a giant puddle and went into her little frame and was a delight. I LOVE HER! thank you pat from 3 plain bays.

meanwhile the other two were flirting over the fence causing quite the ruckus. i will save them for tomorrow.

My 8 year old chestnut OTTB gelding doesn't care what the weather is doing UNLESS it is raining and he's being asked to compete. THEN he becomes an idiot. Otherwise, he can go weeks without riding, it can be cold, windy, hot, sunny and still he comes out quiet and lazy. Going FORWARD is my only problem with this guy.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

riverbend, i have one of those. he is the laziest thing ever. he makes my old draft cross look speedy. he actually was fast at the track but lost all heart when passed by another horse. raining is the only time i get him in a frame consistently.

at virginia horse trials, it was a torrential downpour 2 yrs ago. we were in warm up an hour early so he could acclimate to everything. as we were trotting around, he sidepassed into the pine trees and then swung his butt and backed up ignoring all my forward cues. people were scattering and i ended up lying on his neck because he had us so wedged in there the limb was on my back. we had to be pulled and pushed out back into the rain. needless to say, our dressage test was interesting.

My Ottb mare's paddock mate (also Ottb mare, Storm Cat grand-daughter) hates being ridden in rain or sleet.

I remember riding on the beach one winter, and it started to sleet. My mare didn't really care but the other one lost it completely and we had to cut the ride short (my friend didn't really want to be dumped on hard sand...lol).

In her early days off the track, as I was riding my mare in the ring, the drizzle became steady rain and the wind picked up. I decided to finish what we were doing anyway (canter work) but my mare had enough of the rain in her face I guess, and did a very smooth rollback and halted, tail to the wind.

My mare is now 13 and has matured a lot. She pretty much quit doing airs-above-ground under saddle (she saves it for impressive displays in turnout) , and rarely goes boinking away on landing when we jump anymore. When she's feeling fresh, she'll squeal loudly when asked for a canter depart, or while jumping. But she has calmed down a lot, which is a good thing, 'cause I'm not getting any younger!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have a brand new OTTB I got from Suffolk a couple weeks ago. She has not put a foot wrong since she came to me - in fact the only thing she's spooked at is the miniature horse "babysitter" she's turned out with - "gahhh, what IS that THING?!"

She's been the easiest horse ever to restart. Nothing phases her - you teach her something ONCE and she'll never forget it. Leading, cross tying, turnout - no problems. She's started lunging in side reins for a few minutes each day to build muscle and I'm hoping to get on her this weekend if I have help.

SO pleased with her (if you can't already tell!).

I have a Storm Cat grandson...
    now I think I know why they're called Storm Cat- no self respecting Cat would EVER go out in the Storm!
    (have you guessed that my horse does NOT like to be ridden in the rain?)

Have not tried to ride my Storm Cat gdtr (4yo) in the rain, so can't comment on that. She doesn't seem fazed by the change in temps yet....

Rode my 4yo Smarty Jones colt in his first Novice Sunday, had not ridden him in a week (since xc schooling the prior Sunday, but hey, I didn't have to pack my tack for the show since it was already on the trailer!), first day I'd ridden him since it got cold (for NC) at the end of the week.... wore my Under Armour! He could not have cared less..... Even walked through the little space between a tree and the flapping steward's tent without flicking an ear.....

Jennifer

Default response to storm catters.

i have heard they can be frisky ponies. we use to laugh at my first ottb because he would literally stand at the gate and scream when it would rain. he also did a nice sit and spin at a canter when it started raining to put his butt in the wind. i almost fell off laughing.

i have become very brave with these guys. i get them fresh off the track and usually get on after they have been home for 2 days. each has their own quirks. bugs/new foliage on the trail/ bunnies/log piles etc. but i love it about them. andi really love the fact that they form such a bond with you. I LOVE THEM. i am a 45 yr old girl who just has lost it for them.

for years i rode "other breeds" and i was a little envious of my bf who cruised around on hers never looking exhausted. so i bought one as a trial. he quickly ate a hallucinegic weed and had surgery for anterior enteritis. 3 yrs later he is finally fat and infection free. he is super talented and just as lazy. he can jump the moon and when jumping 18 inches he acts like it is the moon. he is a love...not really to others. he is high maintenance but i adore every habit he has. he has made me a better rider and frankly a better person. albeit a more broke person.

hence why i now have 4. if i won the lottery, i know where that money would go. i would rescue as many as possible. and start a farm where young people could play/work/ and ride these incredible creatures.