The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default After joint injections

How long do most of you wait before starting work after you have had your horses injected? And when you ride, how long before you put them back to their normal work?

(injected ie - SI or hocks or neck)

Thanks!
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

I want George to have this conversation with my horses!!

3 days till I ride, a week before normal work (which in my horse's case normally means lazy hacking)
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Stall rest day of injection
    2 days turnout (or hand walk if crazy type)
    1 light riding day
    regular work

4-5 days off, lighter week of low jumps then normal after that.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Nothing after injection on day of injection. Hand walk 3-5 days depending on joint. Then light day or two of hacking. Then regular work. No joint injections within 2 weeks of a show. That's for normal HA-type joint injections. For the IRAP deal we're doing now, we're giving the horse 4 weeks of hand-walking after the second set before we tack walk. But (PTL) he can be put out in a small paddock two days after the second set, weather and footing permitting.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Just got back from having hocks done. Small paddock today and tomorrow. Then regular turnout for two days. Told vet this horse will just amble around. Then two days light riding, then regular work.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

SI- 1 week off with turn out, 1 week light riding, can return to full work after two weeks

Hocks- 2 days in, 2 days turnout, then back to regular riding

I've never injected the neck, so I can't comment on that.

My 3-5 days above is based on hocks, stifles, and coffin joints.

We are giving the IRAP in the neck and SI longer, but I don't know if that's mostly a function of the joint, the IRAP, or the nature of the issue.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Ussually 1 to 2 days stall rest 2 days turnout and then start back into light work and then regular work by the end of the week. Depends on what was injected.

Stupid question: what's irap?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Stupid question: what's irap?
    Not stupid. Interleuken-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein. My understanding is that it's an anti-inflammatory protein. They pull blood, process it, and inject it back into the horse.

http://www.eliteequinevets.com/advan...stic-services/ and scroll down. Or Google the long name which seems to produce more useful hits than just IRAP does.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I turn mine out like normal but don't give him any bute so he won't rip and tear. Light work after 3 days, then regular work after a week.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Normal schedule. Maybe a bit lighter work the 1st day back. Thats my current vet's schedule. I am currently in vet school, so I will get back to you in a few years on my opinion.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

According to my vet, part of the purpose of the injection is to reduce/eliminate inflammation that is or is about to cause soreness. The whole point of "rest" following the injection is to allow that all to take place. It's much harder to do that, sometimes even impossible, if you just put the horse right back to work.

CAN you get right back into the program? Sure, but you've probably just wasted some of the benefit.

My vet recommends a full 7 days off - regular turnout as long as they are typically pretty quiet.

Thanks so much for all the replies. JB that's exactly what my vet said as well. They want everything to quiet down.

When I had one of my horses SI injected I actually gave him much more time (like months) because it was an injury.

Peggy how is the IRAP working for you? I hear a lot of good results with it. Maybe you are right about the neck or SI possibly needed more time from riding - it's been two weeks for my horse that had his neck injected.

And it's so fun when the vet says, two weeks of hand walking then light riding for a few days and then back to regular work... some horses two weeks of not doing much is torture for them (and their owner)

It's also difficult because you want them to have the time they need to quiet everything; but you also want to keep things moving. I know my horses do so much better when in a regular exersize program and so I do.

I think not riding this horse for the last two weeks I have gained a few pounds...
    "The horse should pay attention to two things only: the rider’s aids and his own self-preservation at the jump—not the environment. ~ GM

I want George to have this conversation with my horses!!

Where are you getting your horses neck injected? I have this problem, and have for years, neck calcification due to an injury:
    http://image46.webshots.com/47/2/72/...2LeAQPH_ph.jpg

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    According to my vet, part of the purpose of the injection is to reduce/eliminate inflammation that is or is about to cause soreness. The whole point of "rest" following the injection is to allow that all to take place. It's much harder to do that, sometimes even impossible, if you just put the horse right back to work.

CAN you get right back into the program? Sure, but you've probably just wasted some of the benefit

Wow it's almost as though you took the words right out of my vet's mouth! Pretty much exactly the protocol she follows.
    Although she did have me get on at a WALK (loose rein, straight, no hills/circles etcc) those 7 days after injections to keep the joints (hocks) moving as he tends to stand around in warm, buggy weather eventhough he has 24/7 turnout. In addition, she also suggested bute for 4 days to aid in the inflammation reducing process.

3-5 days. Coffin joint was one day of turnout after injection, then a couple days of very light riding. Did some super light jumping probably 4 days after.

Hocks were closer to a week. Turnout again the day after, then 3 days of hacking. Not a lot of tight circles or lead changes or anything. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Hocks: stall rest day of, back to regular turnout day after, handwalk for 3 days, then start riding again and be back to regular work within a week or two.

SI: pretty much the same, except 7-10 days of handwalking.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Where are you getting your horses neck injected? I have this problem, and have for years, neck calcification due to an injury:
    http://image46.webshots.com/47/2/72/...2LeAQPH_ph.jpg
    Geographically or anatomically? Vet did it at the barn. Located injection site via ultrasound & made wite-out marks on neck. Then used ultrasound to guide actual injections with longish needles. Into facet joints of c7-6 6-5 and 5-4 on both sides of neck.
    The Evil Chem Prof