The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Roofing Moron/s

Yes, I said moron/s. Much to my horror I have just found the fellow, a professional roofer of 20 years, that is up patching the feed room roof is not pulling off the plastic protective strip covering the mastic strip on the shingles. WTfreakingfruitbat!

Yesterday I had already expressed my dismay over how I found this same plastic strip was never pulled off the old shingles when they were originally installed many years ago.

What part of the strip needs to be pulled off, so the shingle adheres better, does this fellow not understand? Or is he simply too lazy? I vote for the latter.

He tells me he never pulls the strip off. Which leads me to wonder if he installed the old shingles...Which is why the feed room needs so many patches?

BTW, the feed room is a spare house, a good 1,200 sf building. So I am not talking a tiny little shed.

No, not all shingles come with the mastic strip, but mine do. They were put there for a reason, so use them! Pull the tape!

*head desk*
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

The plastic strip is only there to keep the shingles from sticking together in the bundle. They have no effect on where the shingles need to seal together after being installed.

You owe him an apology.

Dh pulled all of ours off but our friend the Union carpenter says pretty much the same as Tom King. It isn't generally done.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What Tom said. Read This.

I always get a good laugh when this subject comes up. I copied and pasted this:

The strip has NO effect on anything other than keeping the shingles
    from sticking together permanently while in the bundle during shipping
    and storage.

Removing the strips is an absurd waste of time. If someone has extra
    time on their hands, they should contact Habitat for Humanity.

04-07-2005, 09:06 PM
    Wayne Whitney

[SIZE=3]Agreed. I thought we settled this issue as follows: the working[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]adhesive on the shingles is on the top of each shingle. The plastic[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]strip on the bottom is placed so that it lines up with the working[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]adhesive strip of the shingle underneath when the shingles are[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]arranged in bundles. Hence no sticking in the package. When the[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]shingles are installed with the usual reveal, the plastic strip does[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]not line up with the adhesive on the shingle underneath, so the[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]adhesive can now do its job.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Cheers, Wayne[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]P.S. If you remove the plastic strip, you may find adhesive[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]underneath. But this is just the adhesive to hold the plastic strip[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]to the shingle, not the adhesive designed to hold the shingles down on[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]the roof.[/SIZE]

From this:

http://www.homegardenguides.com/gard...ers-reply.html

I especially liked the part about contacting Habitat.....

Afraid the manufacturer rep told me differently Mr. King. And I say that with all respct to you.

What the rep said makes absolute sense. As more than one shingle did blow off the roof today before it was nailed down.

The mastic is dead center across the middle of the shingle. By removing the plastic seal protecting the mastic, the mastic then holds the shingle correctly in place, so it does not shift before the guy that hammers them down. (One guy lays them out, & then another guy follows nailing them in.) And that the bonding action does further hold the shingle down over the long term.

Seriously, why would the company waste money applying a mastic & protective covering for it if it were not needed? That would be a HUGE waste of their monies/profit.

Little wonder a couple of flying shingles were broken hitting the ground. Had the tape been taken off the mastic & the shingle pressed along the mastic line, then the shingles would have been far less likely to have left the roof before they were nailed down. No, not even a steeply pitched roof. Simply a windy day.

This windy day that has my county on fire-again. This draught has been brutal. We have 5 fire departments out there. There was mention of bringing in the helicopter, but it was still light out when that call went out over a neighbors scanner. I do not know for a fact that it (helicopter) did come. Since there is no water in stock tanks (read ponds), most the tanker trucks are literally having to come all the way back to town for more water. The water capicity in the rural water lines, just is not enough to refill the tanks fast enough. thus the trips all the way back to town.

Saw a winter wheat farmer I "used to" buy from at the feed store today. He said his place literally has not had rain for a year now. It has been missed every single time mother nature graced us with a bare bit of spit. I say used to, as one cannot buy what does not exist in the case of hay. The minute he ever has hay again I will be in line to buy from him. He is a good guy, & this draught is killing him, as it is so many others. Sad affair all the way around.

But I digress...
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Read the links. Each shingle has a line of mastic to seal down the BOTTOM edge of the shingle applied in the next row above it. When the shingles are in the bundle from the supplier, the mastic would stick to the bottom of the shingle above it in the bundle if they did not have the little plastic strip.

Read all the links posted in your thread. The manufacturers' rep didn't know what he was talking about, if indeed that's what he said. Who is the manufacturer of the shingle? I'll bet you won't even tell us.

Where the plastic strip is under the shingle does not even rest on top of the shingle below it once installed.

With enough wind, asphalt shingles will come off regardless of how well they are stuck together.

Now I have seen many roofs with the first row of shingles installed incorrectly by just reversing the starter row, instead of cutting them so the mastic on the starter row is close to the bottom edge of the first showing row, but that's a completely separate issue.

This is funny.

The only time you will see a contractor pulling off the plastic strips is when they are pranking the greenhorn. Seriously any roofer knows that you DO NOT remove the strips. It is exactly what Tom said, and yes, you owe your roofer an apology.

Digress all you want, but to continue to beat your dead horse is just going to make you look foolish.
    Last edited by deckchick; Oct. 5, 2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: me spell bad.

I think the first mistake is in using shingles at all.
    Shingles are outdated, there is so much better metal roofing today.
    Why use shingles, that will fail every few years, many times causing damage to the OSB below before anyone notices?

We had several ranch houses over the years and those that had metal roofs were fine all along, those with shingles, well, lets say in our windy country, they didn't last long at all, no matter which kind and who installed them.

Any roof will only be as good as the framing below it, but other than that, once you are nailing, metal will trump any shingles, any day, for performance and lasting power and in the end, economy because of it.

Especially for barns, go metal and you won't have 1/4 of the trouble and will last many more years, before you have to reroof, if at all.
    We have metal roofs that are practically new, have not needed anything ever done to them, now going on 60+ years.

I'm sure the poor contractor is cursing the fact that he took this job.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Seriously, why would the company waste money applying a mastic & protective covering for it if it were not needed? That would be a HUGE waste of their monies/profit.
    That was my first thought. Why put a sticky strip down then cover up so the shingles don't stick together? Seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think the first mistake is in using shingles at all.
    Shingles are outdated, there is so much better metal roofing today.
    Why use shingles, that will fail every few years, many times causing damage to the OSB below before anyone notices?
    Why? Because, the fire departments in our area have not yet figured out how to put out a fire under a metal roof.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    That was my first thought. Why put a sticky strip down then cover up so the shingles don't stick together? Seems silly.

Why? Because, the fire departments in our area have not yet figured out how to put out a fire under a metal roof.
    Our fire departments here recommend metal roofs over shingles, any time, any place, because of fire.
    They must not be reading the same training books.

Yes, but that is because of forest fires, not kitchen fires. We don't have forest fires up here so there is basically no advantage to having a metal roof to prevent your building from catching fire.

But yes, I'm sure the training is different. Here they are trained to put out fires that have broken through a wooden roof. Not one contained under metal that has to be attacked differently.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Nope, no forest in our deserts, wrong assumption.

Metal roofs are better all around, even if it may take a different approach to fight a fire as you are saying.
    Many new houses today are built with metal roofs here, as per the firemen and insurance companies advice.
    In fact, my insurance is 10% less because of the metal roof.

The fire marshal said that my metal roof saved my house from total collapse (the AC unit was hit by lightning and caused an attic fire). He said a conventional roof would have burned through and collapsed. In Colorado a lot of the wood shake roofs are being replaced by either red tiles, or the steel roof that looks like red tile, because of the fire insurance problems of wood roof. Plus, if you are in a hail area (like Colorado) then you replace the roof only once with the metal or other high tech materials and a conventional or a wood shingle roof fall apart from a lot of hail. When the fire department arrived they sprayed the water from the attic vent, garage ceiling inside (thank heavens I had put in pull down stairs), and the living room ceiling-it wasn't a pretty sight believe me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

And the really great thing about a metal roof? You can put it on right over the old shingles, so you don't have to add more garbage to the landfill. BTW, my husband is a firefighter, and we have a metal roof on the house, and the barn.

I didn't know that...it's also a huge savings on labor to put it on over the shingles.

When the roof is ready for replacing on barn and/or house both will be done in metal. Only painful issue is the price. Ouch.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I want to know if the OP finally admitted she was WAY wrong and out of line and appologized to the poor contractor. I can't type what my husband said when I read her post.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I didn't know that...it's also a huge savings on labor to put it on over the shingles.

When the roof is ready for replacing on barn and/or house both will be done in metal. Only painful issue is the price. Ouch.
    The new metal roof on our house was cheaper that the price for shingles!