The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scar tissue along spine, anything I can do?

A few months ago the horse dealer down the road realized I'm a sucker and I ended up paying $250 total for a lovely pony with cosmetic scars (who was sold to a home with twin girls to spoil her rotten), an emaciated tb with impeccable breeding, and a very fancy large pony with an attitude problem.

We rode the large pony for a few weeks and he was doing well, didn't see any sign of attitude, then one day out of no where he bucked as my trainer was dismounting. Humm.

Obviously, Mr. Pony is trying to tell us something. He hurts.

It was discovered that he has a palm sized layer of scar tissue across his spine, in front of his hips. It's not noticeable until you really palpate and when he came he had rain rot and was sensitive all over so I completely dropped the ball. I feel horrible.

Hes not in pain hanging out in my field, runs, bucks, plays with the rest, and if it becomes necessary I will call the vet, but I was wondering if there was anything I could try first? I had some one suggest shaving the area and applying dmso a few times daily.

He is pasture sound and comfortable, hes a cheap easy keeper, and I'm not interested in anything crazy expensive as far as treatment. He c can chill here as long as he needs. OTOH he is a great mover so if I can get him riding sound that would be excellent.

Are you sure it bothers him under saddle? I would think if it was going to be painful he would have reacted before now? A nice soft pad would be my choice to try , instead of using chemicals/ stuff on him. I just wonder if the reason he has an attitude is because he would rather be in the pasture playing instead of working?? I guess it would depend on how bad the scarring is, but if you didn't notice it when the rain rot cleared up it may not be that bad.

It's def sore. When you mess with it he drops his back and side steps away. It wasn't immediately noticed under saddle because I ride english and my trainer had only been riding him english. The day he bucked we were showing him to a potential buyer who preferred western. The english saddle didnt hit where he was truly tender, the western saddle hit right where it hurts.

He also had a head tossing habit that I contributed to him being green and coming from a place that rode him in a tom thumb with a too tight curb chain. What really made it click into place was when I realized he lunges in a bridle fine, put a saddle on and the head tossing came back.

I also took the dealers attitude claim with a grain of salt. Hes got a puppy dog personality and fairly decent ground manners. Hes been parelli'd so lunging was an adventure but other than that has a very willing can do attitude. The dealer rode western however and so I'm sure the poor guy was in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO614 View Post
    It's def sore. When you mess with it he drops his back and side steps away. It wasn't immediately noticed under saddle because I ride english and my trainer had only been riding him english. The day he bucked we were showing him to a potential buyer who preferred western. The english saddle didnt hit where he was truly tender, the western saddle hit right where it hurts.

He also had a head tossing habit that I contributed to him being green and coming from a place that rode him in a tom thumb with a too tight curb chain. What really made it click into place was when I realized he lunges in a bridle fine, put a saddle on and the head tossing came back.

I also took the dealers attitude claim with a grain of salt. Hes got a puppy dog personality and fairly decent ground manners. Hes been parelli'd so lunging was an adventure but other than that has a very willing can do attitude. The dealer rode western however and so I'm sure the poor guy was in pain.
    if it rian rot dont ride him till his fur grows back as any saddle plus weight of rider it will act as rasp papper on his back in other words its the friction of the saddle and the area thats sore

wash with hibby scrub or petherdine from vets, or chemist, then add any nappy rash cream like zinc and caster oil, this acts as barrier to moisture, and also soothers the horse till the fur grows back and you might find when you was h more comes off so it might be a lot bigger than you think and be prepared you might lose all of the fur on his back, so you must not ride him till his fur has grown back in, as it will pink and sore skin

2ndly -------- do not put him out in wet weather keep him in and do not rug him either not until his furs grown back in and this can take more than 3weeks depending how bad it is once you start treating it

and also beaware its contagious so clean your tack / numnah /brushes and equipment - high hygene protocol and clean the stable with a strong disinfectant so the horse doesnt get re -infected

and worm the horse aswell whilse hes off working

Perhaps the pain lies in what was damaged beneath the scar. Massage and/or chiro?