The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New videos of my stallion from Show yesterday

I really think a lot of good progress being made with my app sporthorse stallion! We are working towards second level next year, and some of the "issues" he has had are really starting to get better I think! He did two tests yesterday with my assistant, with all the hip issues I have had this year, she has been riding him thru the summer. This is First 1, he got 68.275% and was quite happy with his performance, also showed under a good "R" judge, alot of the schooling type shows around here are "L" judges, which is fine, but I feel like I get a truer "picture" of our performance under a well known "R" judge. Am uploading his First 2 test, will post when it is done. he got 67.243% on that test and placed first in the first 1 test and second by only .3% in the first 2 test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LX0jYZwkdQ

nice horse! nice test, with what looks to be accurate figures. congrats on the nice scores.

my only "critique" would be that he is not using his back, and in fact it is dropped. this is why your rider is bouncing and why he looks stiff.

if he were mine (i would be so lucky!) i would really work on teaching him to reach into the contact and take it FDO, keep him open in the throat latch so his back can loosen and start to swing. lots of leg yields to loosen his hips etc. lots of shoulder ins, haunches in/out, etc... all looking to loosen and supple his lower back/hips etc. then ride him softly forward and allow him to reach forward and down so his back can come more up and swing.

i would also not proceed any further up the levels til this was resolved.

I have a mare with the same type of issue and these things have really helped her. her gaits and everything just totally bloomed once we got her back working.

Nice test! I had planned on going to at least watch my friends show, but, my brakes on the truck gave out while in the parking lot at Target--uughhhh! It was a beautiful day for a show! And I could have met you IRL. Glad your boy did so well :-)

I agree with MBM, and I'm riding a stallion who is very similar. He tucks his head in and gets very stalliony but he doesn't relax his back and he's more holding a pose then being honest and reaching into contact. I think it's part conformation and part big bad stallion complex. He's behaving on his terms.

It's more him then anything a rider is doing, and it's hard to fix. I think once you get a more honest connection instead of him going through the motions your already nice test will be even better.

Your sitting trot looks like you spend most of your time in a jumping saddle, so learning more of a dressage sitting trot position will also help.

THis is not me riding, but my assistant, yes she is a jumper but is working VERY HARD at dressage. She is a lovely rider, sympathetic yet firm and I think she is doing quite a good job. I am just recently "back in the saddle" after having my hips injected, but honestly feel like it would be a dissservice to him for me to ride him right now! I understand what everyone is saying BUT this horse has come a long way from where he was as far as the contact goes. Before he was "curling" away from the contact, this is from about a year ago (different rider):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPW19ruYGc

So I feel the improvement of truly being on the aids and working mroe from behind is fairly significant. Here was his second test yesterday, he was getting a little tired by the end of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqs-0v_ZiZw

I hope by this time next year he will be able to progress to second level, we are working very hard with him, and clinicing frequently with Verne Batchelder, who will be back at our farm next weekend for another clinic.

biggest thing I see is he pops his outside shoulder at all gaits in both directions. he's giving neck bend instead of through his spine and coming through and over his back.That tightness through the back MBM mentioned is most likely from this, as is his slamming on that inside front leg.
    the rider, while trying very hard, has not found her dressage seat or her connection from the horse's mouth to her lower back, and therefore he's exploiting her weakness.

she should practice circles using only her outside rein. I'd even go so far as to have her drop the inside rein all together til she can find how to establish correct bend.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I love him. Thanks for sharing. Have fun on your journey. Wishing you continued success!
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

ok, so honestly - i liked him better last year - even tho he was curling.... his back was more active (look at his tail swing back and forth : and if the rider had allowed him to come more out with his nose things would of rocked.

perhaps if your newer rider would post more it would help him? it seemed the other rider posted more.

he does have a weakish loin connection and this can be a tricky thing to deal with and will impede progress until horse has developed the strength there to work more correctly......... the only way i could work thru this with my mare was to really get her supple and loose in the hips/lower back and then to get her to use her back - and in the beginning, yes she went btv - but was able to come more up as she built her topline.

again, i really like him and i think if you can get his back more working he will quite nice

Much better than last videos, good for you all. In these videos he is going somewhere, with a purpose. He is much more consistently round and on the bit. Yes there are some things to improve- especially if you want the "essence" of collection and second level, rather than just trying the movements.

1, your rider needs to sit back off her crotch, and absorb/go with the movement in her abdominals and "center". I agree she is very feeling and tactful, but needs to be more assertive in the lengthenings, and in the halts (still see his tendency to throw head up off bit in halt/down transition)

2, trot is much better, more purpose and forward- now work to get it more swinging and through the back, to increase suspension especially in the medium work.

3. canter is quick and can be somewhat lateral and downhill- i think it will improve as the canter/walk/canter work improves

Nice shawneeAcres, nice job,
    Good score,ya it’s a beautiful day for a show…thanks for share,
    I love him.
    In Teens a Healthy Mind Translate To A Healthy Body

Nice job!

IMO, your rider has a lot of things going for her - but she is a beginer to dressage. Given this, it is lovely to see your STALLION, go in a consistent relaxed rhthym and frame.

Congratulations on a great show! Your stallion is very cute and the judge obviously liked him - he is very consistent in his work. Well done!

Good ride, and you are aware of the areas that need work. Rider needs to send horse forwards from the leg and not her body, develop true impulsion, and use that impulsion to create contact. Horse should reach for the bit at the free walk.

False frames are manufactured by a riders unfamiliarity with the circle of aids. Periodic lessons on a school master are a good way to develop understanding of the proper creation and guidance of a horses energy.

The rider is crotch riding and her upper body is tipped forward - that's causing him to go on the forehand. She's not centered in herself or the saddle and she is trying to ride with her stirrups too long when she doesn't have an established seat. Tell her to shorten the stirrups and get her upper body back. She can't possibly lift her pelvis in the sitting trot with her legs out behind her and her weight falling forward.

I'm sure she's trying but she needs some lunge lessons to find her center and be able to sit the trot.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

He clearly needs a more effective rider in order to really show what he's capable of. That's not to say she's doing a bad job; he's very obedient and she rode two very respectable tests on a stallion who is still learning. He is quite tight through the back however, and I would be concerned about trying to advance his training with this particular rider. He needs someone who is going to develop that swing and lightness and will get him truly reaching for the contact before he attempts more advanced work.

I feel like I'm being a bit overly critical... but it's mostly because I LIKE him so much, and I SO want to see his potential maximized! I know you are extremely proud of him and you should be! Congrats on an extremely handsome boy, and I can't wait to see him progress.

I think he's adorable! Would love to have him in my barn!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.