The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My 2011 weaning story - for all you nervous newbies!

Just weaned my May 2011 filly on Saturday. Was very stressed/worried about this one (my 3rd homebred) as she is a worrier herself and lacks confidence. BO had been bringing mare & filly in overnight since last Wednesday night (in adjoining stalls), and Dora was NOT impressed. Ate her hay & grain and drank almost a full bucket of water, but paced a bit, called, had runny stress poops..

So, i was convinced Saturday was going to be ugly. We were trailering the filly alone to my friend's place (an hour away) and I was convinced she was going to be a total basketcase.

I am happy to report she surprised and impressed the h*ll outta me.

She got on the trailer within a minute or so, with minimal hesitation. I could tell she was nervous but her desire to please and mild curiosity overrode any concerns she had - i didn't even need to bribe her with treats or food, she clearly did it simply because i was asking her to. The ride over was stressful for her (as evidenced by the wet layer of runny poop smeared all over the floor of the big 3-horse slant), but she stayed calm and stood still to let me come in and clip a shank on her when we arrived, and hopped off with little fanfare, looked around, and stuck to me like glue while we walked alllll the way around my friend's yard to the back of the property where the barn is. Friend's overzealous Rottweiler was loose and bounced around us, occasionally lunging at Dora's heels playfully, and Dora just scooted forward a few steps whenever that happened. She marched bravely up to the new barn, followed me inside, and continued to stick to me (the only familiar thing around) while i soothed her and my friend greeted us and we discussed turnout and buddies etc. She then went out with a yearling filly to start and they trotted around along the perimeter of the paddock, Dora occasionally calling, but more out of interest than panic. She never broke a sweat, never lost her cool. I stood by the fence line, watching her, and she came and stopped in front of me a couple of times to "check in" (sniff my hand and get a scritch), and then off she went, tail flagged, prancing around, checking out her new digs.

I am so, so proud. And SO relieved.

So, all of you who are stressing out big time about your new foals this year, try not to fret too much. Thousands upon thousands of foals are weaned very year and the vast majority of them go just fine, with little fanfare.

Happy weaning, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    Just weaned my May 2011 filly on Saturday. Was very stressed/worried about this one (my 3rd homebred) as she is a worrier herself and lacks confidence. BO had been bringing mare & filly in overnight since last Wednesday night (in adjoining stalls), and Dora was NOT impressed. Ate her hay & grain and drank almost a full bucket of water, but paced a bit, called, had runny stress poops..

So, i was convinced Saturday was going to be ugly. We were trailering the filly alone to my friend's place (an hour away) and I was convinced she was going to be a total basketcase.

I am happy to report she surprised and impressed the h*ll outta me.

She got on the trailer within a minute or so, with minimal hesitation. I could tell she was nervous but her desire to please and mild curiosity overrode any concerns she had - i didn't even need to bribe her with treats or food, she clearly did it simply because i was asking her to. The ride over was stressful for her (as evidenced by the wet layer of runny poop smeared all over the floor of the big 3-horse slant), but she stayed calm and stood still to let me come in and clip a shank on her when we arrived, and hopped off with little fanfare, looked around, and stuck to me like glue while we walked alllll the way around my friend's yard to the back of the property where the barn is. Friend's overzealous Rottweiler was loose and bounced around us, occasionally lunging at Dora's heels playfully, and Dora just scooted forward a few steps whenever that happened. She marched bravely up to the new barn, followed me inside, and continued to stick to me (the only familiar thing around) while i soothed her and my friend greeted us and we discussed turnout and buddies etc. She then went out with a yearling filly to start and they trotted around along the perimeter of the paddock, Dora occasionally calling, but more out of interest than panic. She never broke a sweat, never lost her cool. I stood by the fence line, watching her, and she came and stopped in front of me a couple of times to "check in" (sniff my hand and get a scritch), and then off she went, tail flagged, prancing around, checking out her new digs.

I am so, so proud. And SO relieved.

So, all of you who are stressing out big time about your new foals this year, try not to fret too much. Thousands upon thousands of foals are weaned very year and the vast majority of them go just fine, with little fanfare.

Happy weaning, guys!
    What a good girl she is. We are weaning now and so far so good. Glad all went well
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Thx alliekat! Hope all your weanings are downright boring!

Considering how wonderful about everything your girl has been so far.... this doesn't surprise me a bit!

lol, thx springer! I still worried my fool head off, though - i felt like the most horrible person in the world when i had to shut her in the trailer all by herself after she so gamely followed me into it, trusting me... felt like betrayal, gaahhh!!