The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Semen Quality: Contendro I ??? / Prolonged Lack of Ovulation

Hello All,

I am reaching out to you for advice… I am very disappointed and not sure what to do…

I have a stunning colt by Lordanos born July 2010 – it was my mare’s first and at the age of 10 I didn’t have much trouble getting her in foal that time around. Since the birth, all the way through this year I have been attempting to use Contendro I but to no avail… we flushed the mare, gave a bit of penicillin – tried all the different tricks we were advised to try but nothing…. I absolutely adore that stallion, believe he suits my mare very well, so I am determined to keep trying but it’s starting to get quite expensive...

What has your experience been with Contendro I? I am using fresh semen and I have been assured that they tend to have good results with it… Shall I pay another year of stud fees and keep trying or bet my money on something “safer”… (like repeating Lordanos…)

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by ilka_tu; Oct. 24, 2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Thread evolved to a new topic

First cycle, 2 straws of frozen produced a premium filly at inspection this year from a maiden mare.

Contendro semen is very, very good. I used Contendro frozen two years ago on a 19 year old mare and got a pregnancy first time around. I had a dose, and some of the straws exploded when we thawed them, so we ended up breeding with only 1/2 dose and it still worked great. I have a super filly now!

I would look closely at the mare; has she had a culture/cytology and a biopsy?
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

HI there, the Contendro semen frozen before 2010 is fine, IF your vet uses an anti inflammatory protocol before insemination.
    The semen was frozen in a way that can create lots of reaction in the mares. ( Not like the Lordanos semen, which was frozen by another clinic, and is easy on the mares)

I dont know about semen frozen after 2010.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

We used one straw of Contendro I frozen on a 14 yr.old maiden, and obtained one pregnancy. We had been warned, however, not to expect much! Of course we used an experienced repro vet.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

The OP was using fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    The OP was using fresh.
    good point, sorry my dumb.
    Check the mare?
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Thumbs up Thank you...

Thanks very much for the advice! And yes, I am using fresh as my mare is in Europe...

Hillside H Ranch, as well as imajacres, you recommended I get her checked out i.e. culture/cytology and a biopsy - what are the clues I should be looking out for when getting those done? Sorry, I'm such a novice in this breeding space, I assume my vet should know but I see I need to get educated as well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ilka_tu View Post
    Thanks very much for the advice! And yes, I am using fresh as my mare is in Europe...

Hillside H Ranch, as well as imajacres, you recommended I get her checked out i.e. culture/cytology and a biopsy - what are the clues I should be looking out for when getting those done? Sorry, I'm such a novice in this breeding space, I assume my vet should know but I see I need to get educated as well!!!
    A culture/cytology is going to let you know if there is infection or inflammation in the uterus. A uterine biopsy will assess the level of fibrosis (scar tissue) in the uterus. Your vet should be able to perform and interpret these tests for you.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

thank you!!!

Turns out, according to my vet, that my mare seems to be going through a period of prolonged mild receptivity to a stallion but with no ovulations. The eggs seem to develop on the ovaries but regress without being released... In 2009 she had high fertility and no issues getting pregnant, in 2010 she came back into heat after giving birth but I chose to give her some time off…. and 2011 was a huge disappointment…

I am not sure what could cause that, as far as I am aware there have been no environmental changes or notable physiological events that could have led to this…

I know that towards the end of this season in the act of despair they were giving her some fertility shots but that failed too… is there anything that can be done to improve the situation next year?

Anovulatory Follicles are a sign of An-estrus. The late season shots might have thrown her off and she went into an-estrus at an odd time of year. I have heard from many breeders that this past year had a lot of poor cycling mares. One of mine had her first breeding cycle in the end of April. This is very late for us in Virginia and Maryland.

I would start checking her early, do another culture/cytology and follow a cycle to ovulation(confirm ovulation). You can than count day or short cycle her with hormones. I agree with others here, it isn't likely the semen.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Agree with Tim's post above 100%.

With fresh semen and a good vet you should not have a problem getting her in foal next spring and I would try again and hope for success on the first try with a good heat cycle. Sadly mares have not read text books one of our long time vets once said this to me along with many other things and I have found this to be very true.

We do our own breeding all with frozen and just when you think you know allot you learn very fast as a mare will keep you wondering you know very little the more you know the less you know.

Having said that we have a 100% success rate using only frozen semen this year but this is not down to luck and some years are great while others leave you wondering in a pile of dust.
    Prima Equestrian
    KWPN GOLD Level Breeder
    www.primaequestrian.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PrimaEquestrian