The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rain Rot!

Ok everyone. what do you do when your horse has rain rot? There is a returning horse to the barn, and she now has the worst rain rot I've ever seen. I've never treated it personally, so I want to know, what has worked best for you?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Equiderma. Hands down the best product I have ever used for Rain Rot, cleared it up in 2 days.

Some of the tea tree based products made my horses break out in hives, which on top of the rain rot was even worse. Other products took weeks to clear it all up.

With the Equiderma, you don't need to bathe, pick or anything, just apply it to the spots every other day, and it will clear up. And they offer a money back guarantee.

http://equiderma.com/store/product_i...products_id=33

It is not inexpensive, but a little bit goes a long way, so well worth the purchase price.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Personally, I've just used a little orange rubber bath scrubby with some shampoo every day on my horse's very mild rain rot. I have a friend who uses generic dandruff shampoo and it works great! I'm going to use that from now on. I have another friend who uses 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. I don't know if that's something I would do but she swears by it!
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Bought a few horses that came down with it after a few days on the farm. Tried a bunch of suggestions from past threads. What finally worked was a few baths with medicated shampoo and warm water, letting shampoo sit on for 5 minutes before rinsing, then applying Equiderma according to the directions. Equiderma is GREAT stuff. If you have hind leg scurf, it will clear it in one application. I wouldn't hesitate to try their shampoo.

http://equiderma.com/store/product_i...products_id=33

A gelding we look after (absentee owner) has just come up with the little scabs on one side of his back. I have never had to treat rain rot in my 10 years of horse ownership and I am not sure what to apply.
    We got some Fungasol (I think that's what it is) spray on him, but I don't see much of a difference. It is too cold to give him a bath right now, but temperatures are supposed to go up by the end of the week.
    Also right now this horse is staying outside (his pen will be ready this week), so we bought him a rain sheet to keep him dry. I can't see treating him and putting him back in the rain.
    I can't seem to find a list of Equiderma Canadian distributors. My daughter works in a tack shop and I will have to ask her, but I have never heard the name either.

I find giving a bath with Microtek shampoo followed by a final rinse of dilute (~1oz/gallon) betadine solution works well.

I use MTG...shake it up real well, pour it on and massage it in. It usually softens the scabs so they can be painlessly removed after a few days of application. In my experience it's always cleared up rain rot really quickly. The smell is nasty, but it works! I think the MTG is less expensive than Equiderma, too. http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=149018858
    Last edited by seejp083; Oct. 3, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

I've used both Krud Zapper and a 50/50 mix of Listerine (original) and baby oil. Both have done the job within a 2-3 days.

Thanks everyone! Right now we have no power at the barn (long story) so we have no way to work the well's pump, so no running water! (luckily the owner lives across the street and can fill water tubs) so baths are out of the question for the moment. I know I've got some MTG laying around, and I've heard of the listerine thing before, and I've got some schrieners on hand. I'll see what the owner wants to try, but thanks for everyone's input!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    A gelding we look after (absentee owner) has just come up with the little scabs on one side of his back. I have never had to treat rain rot in my 10 years of horse ownership and I am not sure what to apply.
    We got some Fungasol (I think that's what it is) spray on him, but I don't see much of a difference. It is too cold to give him a bath right now, but temperatures are supposed to go up by the end of the week.
    Also right now this horse is staying outside (his pen will be ready this week), so we bought him a rain sheet to keep him dry. I can't see treating him and putting him back in the rain.
    I can't seem to find a list of Equiderma Canadian distributors. My daughter works in a tack shop and I will have to ask her, but I have never heard the name either.
    Can you order it online from their site?

http://equiderma.com/store/index.php?cPath=21
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I suppose I could, but by the time it reaches me... after shipping and maybe duties... it would be close to $50.00.
    This horse is not mine, but my daughter and I have been looking after him, grooming him, etc. the last four years. His owner pays the bills but has not seen him in 6 years maybe! I don't mind helping the horse, but I am not spending a fortune either.
    The weather is supposed to be great all week, so we will give him a bath today and apply MTG. Hopefully, good weather will help. I will ask the BO to take over a few days of treatment too because I can't keep driving there every day either.
    That horse is so lovable that anyone will want to help anyway...

The "recipe" we use is:
    1 part listerine (the original yellow - the other "flavors" don't work nearly as well)
    1 part hair conditioner (whatever is cheap at the grocery store)
    2 parts baby oil.

Pour all of the above in a used water bottle, shake well, and apply liberally once a day. It is better if they are clean, but as long as get the worst of the dirt off with a brush before you put it on, it will work. The rain rot will be gone in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    I find giving a bath with Microtek shampoo followed by a final rinse of dilute (~1oz/gallon) betadine solution works well.
    I believe there is a warning on the Microtek bottle to not use it with betadine products. While not every horse has a reaction, I have seen horrible blistering and swelling in horses whose owners used Microtek + betadine products close together.

I love Microtek products, but my palomino's white legs stocked up when I used the Microtek products on him. My vet said some horses have a difficult time with the commercial sprays. I have used Microtek on all of my other horses without issue, though. They do make a spray, so you wouldn't have to bathe / rinse, which I realize isn't possible right now.

My vet gave me a fantastic shampoo. I'll have to run out to the barn to see what it is. It does need to be thoroughly rinsed when done, though, and I realize you can't use anything that needs to be rinsed right now.

I have also used a "homemade" mixture of equal parts white vinegar, listerine (the plain brown formula), and liquid ivory soap. Scrub on, leave for 5 minutes, and rinse.

I think you are probably on the right track with the MTG if you can't rinse right now. Otherwise, keep the affected areas as dry as possible.

Good luck!

Apple cider vinegar

Trying the MTG this week on the "patch" (about the size of my hand) and will try spraying the listerine/baby oil mixture on the more spread out parts. I want to get the patch cleared up ASAP and prevent the other parts from spreading. My friend's horse has it really bad... after a 2 day vacation from the barn she came back and his hindquarters were just covered in it.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I suppose I could, but by the time it reaches me... after shipping and maybe duties... it would be close to $50.00.
    This horse is not mine, but my daughter and I have been looking after him, grooming him, etc. the last four years. His owner pays the bills but has not seen him in 6 years maybe! I don't mind helping the horse, but I am not spending a fortune either.
    The weather is supposed to be great all week, so we will give him a bath today and apply MTG. Hopefully, good weather will help. I will ask the BO to take over a few days of treatment too because I can't keep driving there every day either.
    That horse is so lovable that anyone will want to help anyway...
    Povidone iodine or chlorhexidine and sunlight are a lot less expensive...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Povidone iodine or chlorhexidine and sunlight are a lot less expensive...
    The way it's been raining here the last 3 weeks I would pay good money for some sunshine! Though, today was good and sunny with a cool breeze. :-)

You'n' me both.
    I'm staring to look for an app to convert feet to cubits...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.