The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default treating thrush in difficult horse

&#&*$*&$#*&
    Last edited by sayyadina; Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM.

Are you sure its thrush and not something else? Has a vet or farrier/trimmer seen this horse?
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

$*%(*%(*%*(
    Last edited by sayyadina; Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Dig a slight depresson in front of her stall door. Made a bentonite clay slurry and let it soak in a day or two. Or if you just can not find the bentonite use an old truck bed liner or an old water garden liner....something that will hold a couple inches of water. Put some very coarse sand or very fine gravel in the liner...enough for a solid walking base and add a foot bath solution so that you have about 2" of bath.

Foot bath solution can be bleach water or copper sulfate solution. Very few days you are going to have to shovel it out and restock. It gets messy pretty fast but it does help.

Also do something like water inside the stall while feed outside to encourage frequent trips acrossed the foot bath.

SmartHoof. It's seriously the best thing ever for thrush. My mare who had chronic thrush when barefoot and out 24/7, hooves picked twice a day, no longer has thrush even with no hoof picking. She gets 3/4 dose of SmartHoof.

To get it under control until the SH kicks in, scrub the hoof well with water and a dish brush, or the brush end of a hoof pick if the thrush isn't too bad, and pack borax straight out of the box into the bottom of the hoof. Vetwrap and duct tape, leave on for 24 hrs or until it falls off. Let the hoof dry on its own, then reapply until thrush is gone. Moderate thrush only takes one or two applications. Borax is gentle on even open tissue, but it's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

I've tried every treatment on the market for thrush, and nothing works as well as straight borax.

Quote Originally Posted by sayyadina View Post
    My trimmer diagnosed it as thrush when she was last trimmed. She's due for her next trim on tuesday, and I'm planning on calling my vet tomorrow to see if she can come out when my trimmer is here. I can't see any other way to trim this mare if my vet doesn't sedate her.
    your horse needs help today not next week

sounds like secondary infection got in you now need a vet
    and clean the foot and leave off the spray as your masking and coverint it up with adye which will make it harder for the vet to treat

and you need to change your trimmer to a qaulified farrier as this willt ake his skill and the vets skill to put right
    as you have really problems on all four feet and not just one

I would call my vet.... if her frog is bleeding; I would suspect that is not good. And a lot of the time if the frog is overgrown and shabby; this can hold moisture and cause more thrush problems. Maybe you need to get her trimmed more often?

But I agree with those that feel a vet needs to be involved. Without seeing the horse for myself this is all speculation -

If it were just a basic trush problem I like using Tea Tree oil and Braggs Apple cider vinegar. I put it in a squirt bottle.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

goesliketink- When I said "next week" it was sunday. I consider a week to start on monday and end on sunday. So, "next week" meant today, which I did.

And, I will not let any farrier in the area touch her. Its a farrier's fault that her hooves got bad enough to be in the state they are now, and I have now exhausted all farrier options in the area. None are any good at all. My trimmer is very good.

And if you actually READ my post, you'd see that the spray gel I'd been using is Vetericyn. THERE IS NO DYE IN IT! Guess your just too stupid to actually read!!!

I am so BLOODY SICK of people attacking me! FYATHYFM!!!!!!!!!!!

This all happened over the weekend, and while it is an emergency-need-vet-to-see-this-pony situation, it was not enough of an emergency to get the vet out on the weekend. Plus, she almost KILLED me trying to clean her feet, so there is no bloody way I'm touching her unless she's drugged.

Why do people feel the need to attack when someone is asking for help?

The vet and trimmer are coming tomorrow. And I will never come here and ask for help again.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just curious, is she usually this hard to handle or does this indicate how severe her pain level is? Jingling for good news.

FYATHYFM!!!!!!!!!!!
    How rude. Perhaps if you always feel so picked on here then this is the wrong board for you.

She lost me after the 3rd letter of that acronym so I wasn't sure whether to feel insulted or not!

In life there are negative people, nice people, weak people, strong people, slow people, fast people... the list goes on.... expecially on a BB....

I know it sucks to feel attacked.... but we are not seeing exactly what you are seeing.

Sorry you almost got really hurt by the horse - that is so scary in itself and to top it off your horse is having an issue.

Don't be too discoraged because over the years I have found some really amazing help here and support and what ever else comes with it..... I have also been really attacked feeling.... but for some reason I keep coming back for more.....

Good luck with your horse and I hope it works out well for her.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

We always soak our horses feet in White Lightening mixed with vinegar and part water it takes care of thrush and bacterial infections. We use IV bags over the hoof...pour in the solution (not past the white line)...and then duct tape the bag at the top. You want to make sure you duct tape the top so that the gases produced by the white lightening and vinegar stay within the bag because that is ultimately what takes care of the problem. White Lightening also makes a gel that you can pump onto the hoof but i dont think that it is quite as effective. I have also used a product called Tomorrow that comes in a small tube. It is ussually used for cows but works great for thrush in horses.

goesliketink- When I said "next week" it was sunday. I consider a week to start on monday and end on sunday. So, "next week" meant today, which I did.
    Did you stop to think that goeslikestink is located in the UK, NOT the United States, and her definition of "next week" (ie. the week's starting day) just might be different from yours?

And if you actually READ my post, you'd see that the spray gel I'd been using is Vetericyn. THERE IS NO DYE IN IT! Guess your just too stupid to actually read!!!
    Once again, did you ever stop to think that there just might be people that are not familiar with the product you're using? No, you just call them stupid instead. Really nice.

I am so BLOODY SICK of people attacking me! FYATHYFM!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do people feel the need to attack when someone is asking for help?
    Sorta sounds like YOU were the one attacking goeslikestink, who offered sound, practical advice, not the other way around.