The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird creepy skin thing!?! WTF?

Grooming the TB mare today, I knocked off a scab near her ear. I see the little yellow crystals that usually indicate some sort of insect bite. But, it seems to be fine. Her neck looks normal.

I brought her in about 3 hours later, and now there's this weird creepy line running down her neck from the wound, and it reaches about halfway to her shoulder. I did not notice this before. It looks and feels kind of like a big vein. It is not sore to palpation, the mare is bright and alert. There is one area where it widens out a bit, but mostly it's a 1 cm wide path.

Pictures:
    The initial wound, looks to be a couple days old - it's not puffy at all
    The path! - this line down her neck is the part that is puffy. (The light color is just dirt that is exposed because the hair lies funny over the bump.)
    The whole neck

She was wormed last week with ivermectin.

What the heck could this be? A cattle grub? Weird infection pus? A fruitbat infestation?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

This isn't probably the exact anwser you wanted but as i am not sure exactly what it is ( hard to tell from pics) i have experienced this with bites before. I have bug bites/ stings on horses before that had the linr. From what i have experienced it is the posion ( or whatever that bite/ sting has given going through the vein. I have always had it come a day ortwo after the original bite and it always goes away in a few days. For the worst case i gave some banamine but that was it.

Don't Panic, Do Nothing is a perfectly acceptable answer... and truly my favorite. Fingers crossed that you're right. I've never seen anything like this on a horse before. But, this has been the year of unusual bug bites on pretty much everyone.

If I had seen it when it was fresher, I would have put the triple antibiotic ointment on it, but it seems old enough for that to be pointless.
    Last edited by poltroon; Oct. 2, 2011 at 02:57 AM.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If the bite oozed a little, then the serous fluid that ran down the neck can make the coat lie differently, or even make some of the coat fall out. It doesn't look like venous tracking to me, as it doesn't lie where it should. It looks much more superficial to my eye.

It's the same this morning, so I am feeling a bit more confident that huntershorizon has it right. I suspect now that I didn't see it during the day because it was cloudy and the light was flat against her fuzzy coat, but at sunset the shadow was very clear.