The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First lesson after doing lawn dart impersonation...

Did not go well. At all. Was not tragic, just rode really badly and had to fight not to get emotional about it. Let's just say there was fear involved, creating bad decision making. And still some residual pain from sprained neck. (Um, if you wonder why I was riding w/ a sprained neck, let's just say I'm an idiot and get past it.)

Wrote more about it here.

Why can't I let bad experiences go? Bought another "get over your neuroses" books at Bevals today. Might be time for hypnosis, a native american smudge ritual, or partial lobotomy.

Sigh. (Can you hear the sounds of teensy violins playing at my poor me pity party? Aren't they pretty?)

Went home and made brownies, ate them with ice cream and 1/2 a can of Pillsbury vanilla icing. Now THAT's a solution to a problem!!
    Last edited by abv1269; Oct. 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Not really sure what you're asking for, but if it's advice to get over a bad experience, I conjure up the magic of motivational speaker Hal Elrod. His thing is, "CAN'T CHANGE IT" which can refer to anything in the past. You can't change it, so keep calm and carry on breathe, lots. happy thoughts. cheery music. funny tv shows/movies. when you go back to schooling, start small and easy then work yourself back to higher and harder. oh and one more thing: chocolate. boat loads of chocolate. it helps, trust me

Sometimes it takes a couple rides to get back in the groove after you have a bad experience. Don't beat yourself up. You'll shake it off and be back to your old riding self soon. Just let it happen.

Add me to your pity party, or we'll just party together. I came off my horse today (albeit landed on my feet, but still) for the first time in five months after a lot of hard work to combat my issues. Apparently today they reared their ugly heads again today, along with my mare being a total ass and it was just a horrible, horrible lesson. Granted there was a lot I learned but I still came home totally grumpy.

I have to ride tomorrow and I think that the best way to get over the bad experiences is to make a plan. I talked to my trainer about what my "homework" should be tomorrow, and what we are going to do to combat my mares particular issues she had today. It's helping me keep a more positive attitude and breaking down the issues in small, manageable steps. I feel like I'm backtracking slightly in my progress, but sometimes you do have to take a couple steps back to make the forward ones. So maybe for you it's doing some ground poles or crossrails until you're feeling comfortable again. Or maybe just taking jumping out of the equation for a few lessons and doing some intense flatwork. Whatever it may be, Im sure you'll make it through this rough patch! If not, call me up and we'll have a *whine* and cheese party

Make your #1 goal "To Have Fun." It doesn't matter how well you ride if you're not enjoying it. Go on some trail rides or w/t/c/done if that's what you want to do. Once you accomplish that goal are you can start worrying about how well you ride.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Hi I am new so I hope you don't mind me just jumping in and replying on your post. I had massive confidence issues in the past and can highly recommend a hypnotherapy cd. I was very skeptical but was persuaded to try it and found it a huge help. have a look at this page: http://www.confident-rider.co.uk/jum...pnosis_cd.html

I am nothing to do with the above company....my dad found them on google. Another little mantra I say to myself is a Henry Ford (Ford cars) quote: "whether you believe you can, or, whether you believe you can't....you are right!!"

It sounds like your mare is a bit difficult and you might be having some underlying trust issues in her. Even if you think you don't, part of you might be thinking about it.

Try watching your trainer ride her over fences a few times. Seeing her behave under a good rider can help you figure out that it's either A. more her then you and she needs more pro rides or B. more you then her and you can work on being more confident.