The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pony/warmblood crosses?

I have a 16.1 hand Hanoverian mare who has produced some lovely Hanoverian babies but lately I've been thinking about breeding her for something just as fancy but smaller. Any examples of pony/warmblood crosses? Anywhere from 14 to 15.3 hands would be great for me.

The bay is a lovely large pony mare by our 12.2 HH Welsh Section B stallion and out of a 16 HH Hungarian warmblood mare.

The grey is a medium by the same stallion and out of a 15.3 HH Hanoverian mare. Bear in mind that she was a twin...so may have ended up shorter due to that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	princessofhearts2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	33973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encore.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	33974  
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Both are Connemara x Hanoverian.

Name:	West-Coast-Connemara-Show-Moonie-Web.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	33975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6621.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	33976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6694.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	33977  

Section A Welsh X Dutch Warmblood. Weaned a week before. Owned by a fellow COTHer.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

You can see some on this page: http://www.welshponies.com/mardifoals.htm -- but I have several pictures that still need to go on there of Welsh x WB cross foals. Each youngster says the breed or breed of the dam.

Here are a couple of Welsh x WB foals that I don't think I've gotten on the page yet.

Name:	jeanneschamblin1sm.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	33978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sembagare4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	33979  
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

ride - who IS that foal on the left??!! I must know the breeding!

The foal on the left is Picasso, bred by Jeanne Schamblin in California. He is by Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras and out of Risette -- an Olympic Ferro mare, if I remember correctly.

Here are a few more pictures for you.

Name:	jeanneschamblin2sm.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	33980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeanneschamblin3sm.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	33981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeanneschamblin4sm.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	33982  
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Our pony stallion Popeye has been bred to WB mares with very good success. One filly owned by Suellen Myers in WV was the champion filly at the Hilltop inspection last year. Another mare in MI produced a gorgeous Westfalen filly and another owner out west crossed on her Holsteiner mare with excellent results.
    I've used Popey, Wynnbrook Starburst and Makuba on a WB mare that is about 14.3 and the results were both large ponies and "honies" but all were great movers, correct and easy to sell.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Here are a couple that we have produced out of Mata Hari (Mannhattan x Idealiste/Ideal):

Belafonte d'Avalon (Hilkens Black Delight x Mata Hari/Mannhattan)
    14:3 hands - 2007 who received the highest scores ever awarded for a GRP at the 30 day stallion testing AND his inspection and one of the highest scores awarded in Germany

Maserati (Wedderlie Mardi Gras x Mata Hari/Mannhattan) is 14:1 hands - 2006 model and is also quite the kick in the pants to ride. He's not quite as big as Belafonte, but has the same "go get 'em" attitude.

Name:	confo5web.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	33987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	head3web.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	33988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Confo2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	33989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcountrylog2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	33991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stadium1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	33992  

Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

This is actually a Warmblood/Friesian cross, but similar result - the stallion threw many smaller babies. She's less then 60 days under saddle in the video, but you get an idea of type and movement. She's just over 15 hands and will probably top out around 15.2 or 15.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOYD02MbY6E&f

I shoulda known that was a Mardi baby. So flashy!!

Our barn is actually getting into this.

The barn has Voltaire mares were bred to ponies (the same two pony stallions,live in Florida but come up for the RAWF and do some live cover). One is a large Welsh, he is the hunter sportponychampion. The other is a very very flashy medium dressage pony,who was sportpony champ for dressage suitability.

So far, the oldest is 2,and is expected to finish 15.2hh. The next is a weanling and is already 14hh. There have been $$$ offers on this filly, and the mares have all been re-bred back to the ponies for 2012 babies.

They should make fantastic little athletes.

The WB/pony crosses are all so wonderful, and I have had such a hard time finding one, I might just have a custom breeding done for myself next year using my pony's dam.

Honestly, I don't know if it's just around here, but it really seems like the soundness of the warmbloods is really going downhill. Less then 10% of the warmbloods at my very large boarding barn are sound, even the youngsters. And this is true at other barns I have boarded at. For me the answer is breeding in pony blood. Whatever the problem is, something has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Less then 10% of the warmbloods at my very large boarding barn are sound, even the youngsters. And this is true at other barns I have boarded at. For me the answer is breeding in pony blood. Whatever the problem is, something has to change.
    I would change barns immediately. If that is true, there is something terribly wrong going on there. Are you absolutely certain your perception is not skewed? Truly, I have never heard of such a thing outside of an equine rehab center.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    I would change barns immediately. If that is true, there is something terribly wrong going on there. Are you absolutely certain your perception is not skewed? Truly, I have never heard of such a thing outside of an equine rehab center.
    It's not just my barn, it's the others I have been too also.

I actually have a theory about it truth be told. I don't think horses here in CA on average or fed correctly for the way they are kept, and I don't think these big horses can handle standing in a stall 22 hours a day with 1 hour of turnout in a pen (to run around like fools) and 45-60 minutes trotting in a circle (or being lunged). 75% of the lame horses were brought in that way.

And yes, my perception might be slightly skewed, it's probably closer to 80% of the WBs being lame It is one reason I bought a pony though, keeping a big, big moving horse sound in this environment seems harder.

Keep in mind that ponies don't get their permanent measurement card until age six. Warmbloods (crossbreds) grow more slowly and have hidden height. Use caution when selecting a sire to cross with that size mare.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I have a lovely KWPN mare that I have two nice KWPN foals from. They are intended to me my next driving pair and I think they will be outstanding.

But.....as I get on the other side of 50 ponies are looking quite appealing to me! I love my big horses and all that, but having a Warmblood Lite would be nice. The temperament, movement, "look" in a smaller package sounds good to me!

Hmmm, I HAVE to stay pony, 149cm and below. There is just no way to compete in combined driving with a 14.3 hand horse against a 16.2 hand horse! So, if I breed my 17.2 hand mare to Mardi Gras what are my chances???
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    ISo, if I breed my 17.2 hand mare to Mardi Gras what are my chances???
    Not great... You are better off buying something that is already on the ground. That is one risk when crossing the two - you never quite know what you will get. A friend was crossing WBs and Welsh for a while several years back (she was ahead of the times for sure!), and the resulting offspring were all over the place in terms of size. Most were lovely horses, but in that first generation cross especially, you can get a 17 hand, 15.2 hand, and 14.2 hand horse/pony with exactly the same breeding...

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver
    So, if I breed my 17.2 hand mare to Mardi Gras what are my chances???
    You'll get a bad size. He's 13 hands..... Gretchen can weigh in on it better than I can.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse