The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy omg !! I ruined my saddle,its done garbage !

So last night on a whim I decided to take my big scary OTTB to chase cows. Best worst idea ever. Had a great time ! I wasn't going for time just for experience . During the second run it began to down pour . My Steinkraus circa 98 has gotten wet before showing . It is in great condition cleaned ,oiled awesome .

We untacked quickly threw the tack in the trailer . When we got home unpacked (5min trailer ride) horses away pulled my saddle out soaked I almost started crying . The panels were soaked I use a wool therapeutic pad .Well that absorbed the water ,the one time suede knee pads soaked I could squeeze water out . I pulled my irons off put my saddle on the rack blotted with a towel let it dry over night .

Barn today still a little wet I used leather therapy restore and condition Hermes drank it right up
    I still don't like the way it looks .. What do I do believe I can not afford to replace it with the price today .

You went to a cow sorting in an Hermes?

Just keep doing what you are doing.

It might not be ruined. You need to get it dry, and then assess the leather. I'd by wrapping it loosely in paper towels to absorb the water. Change them as needed.

Once it's dry, then you can figure out if the stuffing needs to be replaced.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

It will be fine!!

No worries

You've already applied the conditioner while it was slightly damp, so check that off. Now just leave it in a temperature controlled room and leave it be to dry. You will have a nicely cleaned, oiled, and beautifully soft saddle after it dries. The wool will dry fine as well, it will just take some time.

Definitely do leave it in a climate controlled room though. Not in the barn. Bring it in your house in a room somewhere on a rack that's open underneath too so air hits it underneath and let it dry. It might take a good long while, but it should dry out.

BTW...how did the cow chasing go?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

oh honey it's not ruined. how the heck do you think people on that big green island (GB) get to ride when it's soggy year round? they ride in the rain, and their tack gets wet.

refrain from going bonkers with conditioners. Let it sit in a somewhat warm, low humidity area and don't mess with it for about a week.
    then condition the underside of the flaps, gently wisk the suede with a wire brush and a few weeks from now you can coat, ever so lightly the top grain leather with some conditioner.

and next time, hit the dang thing with some hydrophane before you decide to be a monsoon cowgirl.

It'll be fine, promise
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Breathe. Don't worry. It is a cow. Cows do not die in the rain, nor do they shrivel up. People all over the world ride in the rain, it will be ok. Just let it dry off in your house or somewhere dry, then condition it a bit, it will be right as, well, rain, LOL!

Yay! I feel better. The tack room at the barn is nicer then my Grandmothers sitting room climate is perfect . I checked on it before I left it looked better. Thank God I have a spare to use in the mean time.

Yes, I went team penning in a *sigh* Hermes . I know im terrible but, in my defense i have a western saddle it was home and this whole cow chasing thing was a whim . Bought it from some lady $ 275 cause you never know rode in it twice felt to big

I have 2 OTTB' one who im hoping to be my AO horse . The other my fun all around amazing lets see what he will do horse. I went with my farriar he has a Poco Quarter horse awesome horse. We walked into the arena to meet the cattle . Stanley had his nose on Poco's tail he thought if this horse says its ok then lets go! Then the cows moved Stanley stood still ears up looking I could feel his heart beating . We showed the cowboys our great sidepass AWAY from the cows
    By the end of the night we held the herd and stopped a cow . Great night first time rode Stanley in the rain (spoiled indoor) chasing cow. My poor saddle I never remembered it getting this wet cause I always had my Barbour coat ... OMG im an idiot I committed Steinkraus homicide ! lol

Default IT WILL BE OK ```` really ```

Your saddle will be alright `` really !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Up here we foxhunt in the rain all the time, even blinding pouring rain and my saddle has been soaked many times and survived (along with the rest of my tack.)

I think it's very cool that you chased cows in a hermes. You have to give a good saddle a chance to prove itself!

I soak my Stubben all the time. I just let it dry out before using it again.

I'm a fan of The Australian Stock Saddle Company's Leather Keep. It waterproofs the leather really well. I condition it really well with Stubben's Hammanol conditioner then apply the Leather Keep. It can generally take several soakings before I condition and reapply the Leather Keep.

It will live, I promise. I've ridden in the pouring down rain until my saddle was soaked clear through. I had a lesson a few months ago where I had to peel my breeches off the saddle over every jump and sat back down into what felt like a swimming pool. An hour long in a total monsoon of a downpour. My saddle dried, I conditioned it, and it is just the same.

If you can find a room-size dehumidifier, plug that in the tack room. That will help get the moisture out of the air and speed up the drying process. Also a box fan set on low or medium to blow on the saddle will help too.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

As mentioned before, Hydrophane is your friend. My Prix de Nations got soaked many times, and each time it got softer and more comfortable.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Steinkraus would be proud of you. The saddle will recover.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

My Passier regularly used to get soaked out hunting in the PNW - even went swimming in the Fraser River several times on the deeper crossings. It will dry.
    Use towels to absorb as much as will come out by osmosis, Leather New, or whatever and it will be good to go if it is half as good as the Passier.

You have my rain-resistant Wintec; I'll have your 'ruined, garbage' Hermes

where is this magical place you've only got wet once in your life - swap???

Sadly disappointed. I thought this thread would have some dramatic story attached. 'it rained', wasn't quite what the title suggested.

Doodlebug 1 , I may have over reacted . It has gotten wet before plenty of times, but I'm telling you it was soaked !

Both of my saddles have been soaked at least once. They're still in use now.

(I did have Rue's restuffed though. He fell in a not-so-clean water jump and no matter what I tried, I could always smell dirty water. My saddler told me it was all in my head though! I didn't have to do it- I could have just dried it out and used it.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver18 View Post
    Yes, I went team penning in a *sigh* Hermes .
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg