The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registering a grade pony gelding?

I rescued a pony yearling of unknown breeding back in April.

I realize that as a gelding, it's technically irrelevant to have him registered, but would anywhere accept him based on his individual merits rather than bloodlines? He may be for sale in the distant future, and while I have no intention of hiding what he really is (an unknown mutt), it would be nice to say that he's accepted/registered fill in the blank (whichever it is, i'm not all that familiar with the sporthorse type registries).
    Last edited by apachepony; Oct. 1, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

Not sure if there are any options but you can get him a number with the USEF.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Others can chime in here, but I'm betting by the time you paid for registration and inspections fees, membership fees, gas to inspection, stabling, etc. you are going to be looking at $500 to get him registered in something like the NASPR or RPSI, etc.

You would be much further ahead if you get some great photos and video of him...and even got him out to a few shows on the line next year. In the end, I'm betting he will sell for exactly the same price...and will save yourself $500!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Well said by Daventry.

Your money would be better spent by feeding and exercising him into show condition, then getting some really outstanding photos -- which are what is going to make your sale anyway.

If he had known breeding, I would feel differently, but since you don't know what it is, I don't really see any value in going forward with a registration.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

without at least 1 known parent, i can't think of anywhere he could be registered. All registries I know of recquire known parentage. And i've never seen a gelding approved anywhere (like for Trakehners or Oldenburgs or whatnot) w/o having a pedigree. They can't get breeding approval (well a gelding could be approved and then gelded, but you dont send a gelding to stallion approval), so the only reason to take one would be for the Certificate of Pedigree, which he can't get.

Daventry, realistically, I know you're right, just got curious about it.

I did some looking at the few places I could find, and it seems like AWS would register, inspect and brand him (assuming he scored over 67%) for ~$225. I suppose that would give more weight than just a piece of paper from a registry.

He went to his first open show yesterday and was quite cute.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...niehorse/1.jpg
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...niehorse/3.jpg
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...niehorse/2.jpg
    http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...niehorse/4.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think he would fare well at a real show on the line. We uncovered some pretty ugly scar tissue on his hock while body clipping him when he first arrived (high tensile injury?). He's got a clean xray and ultrasound, but I still feel like we'll have to hold on to him until he's proven sound in work.

I was going to suggest AWS. They'll evaluate him (which is worth something), and for resale, I think some kind of papers is better then nothing. For show purposes, it also gives people the chance to show for breed awards (I know AWS isn't a breed, but neither are many registries).

They are affordable too - registration, membership, and inspection will set you back about $200, not such a bad deal!

From what I gather AWS will register anything. Not worth the money, IMO.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

And how many people have posted that they see AWS and run? I'd rather have an unregistered resale prospect in that case.

I would get him a USEF number and get him good training and a few show miles.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    I think some kind of papers is better then nothing.
    I disagree. This may be true with the warmbloods, but with ponies...not so much! What is best is having a talented pony who can prove themselves movement and talent wise.

All of the ponies shown below are absolute unknown backyard "mutts" that we've sold for top dollar!! Not a single one registered, but all proved that they can win against the best, even though we have absolutely no idea what they are or where they came from Not a single one of these ponies would have sold for a dollar more if they had papers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finnus6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	33999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simonjumpus.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	34000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jazzont3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	34001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odieont1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	34002  
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

If he had bloodlines that you could find, (I.e. he was half-welsh, or half-arab, or half-whatever) and you had papers that would open showing venues.. then papers would be better. Or if he was breeding stock (but then you'd know his pedigree), or if you are selling him young, and he has known siblings doing extrodinarily well...

but none of those are the case with your pony.

there is a grade horse registry.. and for 35.00 or so, they will give you papers. It will add no value to the horse though.