The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best heavy with detachable neck cover?

I had posted about trying to match the Optimo liner with my older Rambo turnout. (red & green one). Would also love any recommendations on your favorite HEAVY turnout (380g or higher...) that has a detachable neck cover. I remembered how badly I wished I had a neck cover last year. I have an older gelding that doesn't get a great winter coat and can shiver if it's cold and wet. He can also be a hard keeper so I need to keep him as warm as possible on very cold days. I had purchased a TOTD bargain heavy and while it's a solid blanket and very warm, it is too short on him. It looks like he is wearing a miniskirt

I was browsing online and saw a "Shires" brand heavy that looked nice, but the poppy red color was a turnoff...! I am considering a Pessoa...would love any other recommendations besides the Optimo...as $450 is high and I already have a good Rambo sheet. Thanks

I have the Rambo Supreme heavy blanket with a detachable neck cover that is great. Really warm.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Look at Schneider's blankets. Reasonably priced and well wearing.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Horseware came out with the Amigo Bravo 12 Turnout.
    1200 denier polyester(stay away from the 600-it rips too easily). The heavyweight is 400 g fill and the neck cover is detachable. Smartpak has the heavy for 169.95 and the neck cover is 55.95 no fill or 59.95 with 150 gms fill.

I got mine end of season last year for around $120 complete. I'm a die hard Horseware fan and I like the Amigos-I think they're a great value and well made.

I have the blue plaid Rhino heavy with detachable neck and love it. I had two, but my great dane got hold of one. The horses on the other hand haven't put a dent in it in 3 years and mine live out 24/7. Kept them warm and dry in all sorts of conditions.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Rambo Supreme...mines on year 15.

I also love the Amigo 1200D...MUCH better than the Rhinos.

Dover's Northwind!!!! Mine is about 7 years old without a thread missing.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Rambo Supreme!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

I hope this isn't too off topic but I have a quick question regarding the Supreme. I ordered the 420 g one online from a local tack shop and assumed the neck cover would be in it. The website was awful to deal with; I was looking at the original Horsware site to get a description of the blanket and make sure it's what i wanted. Anyway, the blanket arrived but without the neck cover and without a tail cord. It is sold with the neck cover and tail cord, right?

Also to the OP: sometimes I double blanket instead of putting on a hood. I find it keeps them warmer with two blankets than one blanket + hood, unless horse's neck has been clipped. I usually only do hoods if horse is still cold even with two blankets. But that's probably because my horse is happier without his hood than with!

The supreme is definitely sold with a detachable neck cover (and tail cord). The new ones actually have a PVC covered tail cord.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Thanks for the info - looks like I'll be calling the tack store and asking what the heck happened.