The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Default Helping Fox with Mange??

Hope this doesn't have to be more horse related - it's on my farm, and has to do with it's management and care....

We have a family of foxes in our horse pastures, who have a litter every few years and always look lovely and healthy, and we love seeing them around the property - they're shy and keep their distance, and seem to know that our place is safe now, and avoid the neighbors with guns.

The only one I've seen around lately I thought was young and super gangly, but now I realize it has horrible mange - it's terribly thin, and the tail is very short, and the haunches are losing hair. It's not incredibly advanced, but needs treatment to prevent it dying an unpleasant death. He's been curling up in one of the older horse sheds to keep warm at night

I feel responsible, as this is such a problem in my area with stray dogs and cats bc of people, we have awful mange issues, absolutely no spay and neuter program, and no wildlife care within hundreds of miles. Animal control would trap him, and kill him, and I don't want that unless he's in terrible pain.

I'm trying to get the exact dosage and treatment plan for Ivermectin, if that's the correct way to go - I've read that it should be fed 3 x wk for 3 wks, then tapered off - has anyone does this - has it helped? Any tips/tricks/advice?

These animals bring us so much joy in our property, which we've tried to make a little oasis to birdlife and wildlife in a very over-farmed, over regulated area. I would LOVE any input on this, I know a lot of people on this board must have foxes on their farms, and hopefully they're as knowledgeable about this as everything else

Thanks! I feel awful for him!

Post this in the hunting forum. It breaks our hearts to see a fox with mange - which is a horrible horrible death for them. Many foxhunters will put out bait with ivermectin near fox dens to try and treat them.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

A gypsy caravan somewhere in Eastern Europe

Thank you, I will!

I treated a porcupine with mange last winter and he has grown up into a robust and healthy little fellow.

The biggest issue that you face is making sure the iveremectin ends up in the fox an not anywhere else, but if you know where he is sleeping that will help a lot.

Norm the porcupine took up residence in my hay shed and readily accepted strategy laced with ivermectin. I gave him about a tenth of a tube once a week for three weeks, then a break of three weeks, then repeated.

Another thing that will help is if oyu can dust down his sleeping spot with Diatomaceous earth, or even better, DE mixed with Sevin dust, which is commmercially available as a pesticide for organic veg gardens. This does quite a number on the mange mites too, and will stop him from reinfecting.

In you case, I'd probably go with a quarter tube once a week for three or four weeks, give a break of a couple of weeks, then repeat.

It would be good to treat this guy before he spreads it around the rest of the local wild animal population.

Norm still comes to see me several times a week at dinner time, so I can keep track of how he's doing. He was about 70% naked at one point last winter, and has regrown a full coat of fur and quills. He's still quite small for his age, but he is thriving, noisy and nosey!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I treated a porcupine with mange last winter and he has grown up into a robust and healthy little fellow.

The biggest issue that you face is making sure the iveremectin ends up in the fox an not anywhere else, but if you know where he is sleeping that will help a lot.

Norm the porcupine took up residence in my hay shed and readily accepted strategy laced with ivermectin. I gave him about a tenth of a tube once a week for three weeks, then a break of three weeks, then repeated.

Another thing that will help is if oyu can dust down his sleeping spot with Diatomaceous earth, or even better, DE mixed with Sevin dust, which is commmercially available as a pesticide for organic veg gardens. This does quite a number on the mange mites too, and will stop him from reinfecting.

In you case, I'd probably go with a quarter tube once a week for three or four weeks, give a break of a couple of weeks, then repeat.

It would be good to treat this guy before he spreads it around the rest of the local wild animal population.

Norm still comes to see me several times a week at dinner time, so I can keep track of how he's doing. He was about 70% naked at one point last winter, and has regrown a full coat of fur and quills. He's still quite small for his age, but he is thriving, noisy and nosey!
    atr- Have you seen this video? One of my favorite "feel good" videos. Make sure you turn the sound up so you can hear him squeak like a bicycle horn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5I5H...eature=related

Bicycle horn is a good description--Norm does that! Yes I ahve seen that before. I wouldn't ant one in the house, they do smell rather... vibrant...

I was mixing feeds this evening when I felt a pair of paws on the backs of my knees... My spiney friend had snuck up on me. He then proceeded to get under my feet hooting and squeaking and jumping up and down while I sorted out everyone's buckets--including his, and chased me out to the paddock for dinner.