The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    If there is a 2'6-2'9 group, and you know you can do the job, really go for it.

If what you can see on youtube is only young riders it is mainly because older people don't videotape and 'youtube' their lessons as much as the kids. Doesn't mean they don't participate.
    This. ^

That's what I was going to say.. kids are more apt to Youtube their videos than adults. I'm sure there are plenty of adults clinic-ing.

I did a Joe Fargis clinic 3 or 4 years ago and had a great time. Joe and I are the same age,and he didn't cut this fat old girl any slack! It was wonderful!!!

Default GM clinic

Recently did a three day clinic with GM. I was in the 3'-3" to 3'-6" section. Temperature was high 90's. (Covered arena, but still HOT!!)
    I'm 54, and had really tried to make sure I was fit and prepared but there were times I truly thought I was going to die/pass out.
    George DID NOT allow ANY "slacking off" and would get quite stern if he thought anyone was trying to take a break. He did allow everyone to grab a quick drink of water while waiting for our turn to jump an exercise, but there were no breaks of any kind during the flatwork.
    He ended up riding my horse and when he got off I remarked that not only was he older than me he was apparently in better shape! He found that amusing.

I just consider it a huge accomplishment to have "survived."

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    He ended up riding my horse and when he got off I remarked that not only was he older than me he was apparently in better shape! He found that amusing.
    Good for you but reminds me I don't need to pay money for some things!

otisrider - not sure what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    otisrider - not sure what you mean?
    M'eh, just ignore it. Looks like she misread your comment through her haze of GM dislike.

OP: I am 40 and just finished a clinic with Greg Best. It was great. Interestingly, I was one of the younger riders there (and one of the only amatuers). There was another ammie there, a 70-year old...that was in the next section higher than me.

I would just suggest being prepared for the clinic, which means knowing the clinician's style. If you are the type that needs breaks, maybe GM isn't for you. There's a clinician out there to suit everyone.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I love to do clinics, and I have amost always learned something that made it worthwhile. If you are unsure, it never hurts to audit the clinican first. Have a great time!

I did a clinic with Scott Hofstetter this summer. It was a lot of fun although it was really hot! There was a gentleman older than me (I am 52) in my group with a bunch of 20 year old's but I never had to take a break from the flat work and kept up just fine.

Definitely yes! A good clinic instructor should be able to work with riders with a variety of abilities and ages.

I started riding again last summer (I'm 46) and did my first clinic earlier this year. Didn't know what to expect or what I wanted to develop - I have never worked so hard at riding in my life! I came away with 1) the ability to get an inside bend, which I'd been struggling with and 2) the self-confidence that I made it through the session.

A different perspective and explanations can really clarify things; I'm still using skills and "images" that I picked up from that clinic.