The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do any older adult reriders do clinics?

Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm considering signing up for a Melanie Smith Taylor clinic and everything I see on YouTube shows younger riders in her clinics. I don't just mean the EAP ones. So it got me thinking, and I'd like to know, how many of you older riders do clinics? Is it worthwhile? Do you get the same level of attention as the younger riders do? Or will I get the polite nod from the clinician and otherwise not much?

I've competed only one season now at 2'6-2'9 level, although we have schooled 3'0 at home. I am very self conscious and have arthritis in my back, plus bad knees, so I'm stiff when I ride. Will that be a real problem?
    Last edited by Starda01; Sep. 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Define "adult reorders" - is it a fast food thing ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I'm guessing the OP got nabbed by spellcheck...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Hahaha.

Yes, clinics are terrific. I would rather spend my $$ on a pricey clinic than a pricey horse show. The clinicians have always included me as much as the kids, particularly since I follow directions better so I often get to "lead." I always walk away with a few things to work on, which is important for me since I do not ride with a trainer on a regular basis.

I know there are several other ammies who develop themselves through clinics (PNWjumper leaps to mind with her Greg Best clinics). I have never been treated like a second class citizen because I'm not 15.

Don't make excuses, though. Take some advil (or more!) and do what the clinician tells you. I always do the morning of the clinic, we older riders are going to ache, it's just a matter of when.

If there is a 2'6-2'9 group, and you know you can do the job, really go for it.

If what you can see on youtube is only young riders it is mainly because older people don't videotape and 'youtube' their lessons as much as the kids. Doesn't mean they don't participate.

If you take the clinic seriously, the clinician will take you seriously. I never saw a good clinician looking down at older re-riders and not teaching them as good as they do with younger riders.

Younger doesn't mean better either. You just need to be put in a group of equal knowledge/skills.

Make sure to ask if this clinician teaches only for the Young Riders division or any other strictly division. That also might be why you don't see much older rider in her clinics.

Have fun!

I hosted a Melanie Taylor clinic in April this year....one of my 'older' riders actually rode with the 2'6" group and had a blast. I HIGHLY recommend you ride with Melanie....she will not shun you because of age and you will learn more than you ever dreamed....

Go...have fun....and learn with the best!

Oops, spellcheck got me! I did mean reriders, but since it's my second time around, I could be considered to be reordered.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to talk it over with my trainer and see what he thinks. Not all trainers, (at least at my barn), seem to be open to the idea of clinics. But I like the idea of another set of eyes, and different approaches.

I watched Melanie at EAP in '09. I am an adult, almost mid-30's, been riding since the pony days & I would LOVE to do a clinic with her. I thought she was a fabulous instructor & very positive in spreading her message.

Absolutely do the clinic!!!!! MST is fantastic. Watch the other groups and bring a notebook to jot down what you learned while it's fresh in your mind.

The most important thing is to listen and to try what they say. They may get you out of your comfort zone a bit, but people like Melanie will not push you past your capabilities.

At the beginning of the clinic, you'll have a chance to introduce yourself and talk a bit about your riding. That will be a good time to tell her about your physical limitations.

Have a great time!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

OP, MST is older then you are...heck, she is older then I am and that's old.

She still rides and had just run the NYC Marathon last time I saw her. Something tells me she will not mind older riders.

Last clinic I took I was 60 and I took 2 or 3 a year from some real big names all though my 50s. I sometimes did have to step out of the flatwork for a lap or two, (so did some of the kids after 20 minutes staright) that's about it. I prepped both self and horse by doing 30 minutes at the trot without a break-changes of speed and direction, stirrups and none, sit and post, everything but stop and walk. if you can do that, you are fine for any clinic set for your height.

Enjoy.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!! You can't possibly be older than me, and I've had bilat. knee surgeries and arthritis about everyplace you can have it. Take Aleve, Mobic if your MD'll write for it and go. I saw Melanie do a clinic here in Aiken, and she did not ignore the older participants in favor of the younger. I think any instructor would be impressed that anyone of any age is seeking to better themselves , whether they're old or young. Now, I WON'T take a clinic w/ GM- not til I lose about 50 lbs. After that - watchout!!!
    " It's about the horse, and that's it."
    George Morris

I took a clinic a couple of weeks ago -- it was me (40 yo), one woman a few years older than me, and the rest were kids. The clinician did a fabulous job - everyone got plenty of individual attention, and I learned a ton.

It was kind of fun riding with the kids, actually. They all had great attitudes and their exuberance was contagious.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I know how you feel. I get embarrassed sometimes showing against kids, and wish more older people were showing. My only comment, and I do not know this particular clinician, is that sometimes clinics can push you past your comfort level. This is fine, but if you are tired and not sure of yourself, don't hesitate to say so! She can put the jump down or shorten the distance or whatever for you. My favorite part about being old is that I do exactly as I please these days!
    friend of bar.ka

Definitely there are older (wiser??) riders in clinics. My friend and I (both in our 40s) have done clinics and had good experiences. I will ride in a clinic if its someone who is not local and whom I really want to learn from. I will audit almost anyone. There is always something to learn- even if it's how not to do something.

But, I have learned that for me- if the person is relatively local (within 2 hrs), it is better to trailer in for an individual lesson. The lesson is more personalized to me and my horses needs - and in many cases it is actually less expensive (if you dont count the travel costs which I do not). Since I compounded rerider with green horse (hey- I'm not the only one who did my purchasing with my 20 year old brain), I have special needs.

I can't afford the $ or time to ride with the pros I want to all the time, but trailiering in occasionally helps tremendously. So far, the pros have been very open to the occasional lesson and very helpful. (probably because as others have said, us reriders pay attention and try our darndest!)

If you go- have a great time!
    Rule 1- Keep the horse between you and the ground.

Default Define "older"?

I'm a re-rider in my early 40s and I do clinics whenever I can. Have ridden with folks both younger and older, and quite frankly, quite a few of the older riders can kick my butt and leave me in AWE!

Do it. Clinics are all about the learning, and one can learn at any age. If your trainer thinks you can handle the fence height, then by all means, go for it!! Have fun!

And the fun thing about being older is the freedom to embarrass yourself witout giving a crap about it!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by abv1269 View Post
    And the fun thing about being older is the freedom to embarrass yourself witout giving a crap about it!
    I learned of this benefit at my last show when I had a brain fart and went off course right before my last fence in one class. All I did was laugh and shake my head as I walked out the gate -- when I was a teenager, I would have been mortified!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Starda01:

I am an adult rider and we host Melanie every year for clinics in Fort Lauderdale. Our clinic October 22-23, 2011 is currently filled with 50% or more riders over the age of 40. We have a few well over 50 years old. They have equal attention from Melanie as do the youngsters. The videos on youtube only show the kids because us older adults don't choose to subject ourselves to youtube videos. If we complete the day we consider it a success and drink some wine.

I think Melanie has a healthy respect for re-riders and older riders.

The way Melanie teaches you will stay well within your comfort zone. One year when I got a bit tuckered on the flatwork I just faded out to the side for a few walk steps and she was fine with that. I saw her look over with the look of approval. She knew I just needed a moment to collect myself. She understands adults have aches and pains and exhaustion levels. I have yet to see anyone leave without thinking they got all the attention they needed and that they were not under or overworked.

Melanie will allow no more than 8 people per session and she handles that amount quite well. You will always have something to do and time in between to watch and learn. There is not a ton of down time as she keeps you moving but enough for your horse to have a good breather and you too.

I don't know if your planning to join us in Lauderdale or Kimberden in Ocala, but if you come to Lauderdale we would love to have you. You can hang with the older folks likes us. But we too are going to Ocala cause we are groupies and we are riding there too. So chances are we will meet.

The response to our Lauderdale clinic is so overwhelming that we added sessions on a Friday and many of US adults are riding then too.

By all means if you can't ride, go audit. But sit in a quiet area because she has alot of knowledge to offer that you don't want to miss a thing.

Ok, y'all have convinced me. I'm gonna try to go. I don't have a trailer so it may boil down to getting ride for horse. If that doesn't work, I'll try to audit.

Many thanks for the positive replies. I needed that 

I'm an older rider, not rerider, since I never really stopped, but did spend about a decade on my own after being in a big show barn. I am DYING to find a great clinic that I can get to and afford! My barn used to do one or two each winter and had groups of older ladies. If anyone knows of anything exciting within a reasonable distance of SE VA, let me know!

Yes! I did a clinic this summer with Neil Shapiro at his farm in NJ. It was alot of fun and a great learning experience