The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default problems with mare magic?

Hi all, started our pony on mare magic this month (from Smartpak) and immediately noticed that she had diarrhia. Mentioned it to our trainer, who said let's watch it a few days and see if it goes away. It basically has gone away (we're probably on day 10 or so), but now she is clearly uncomfortable, standing in the grooming stall yesterday she went 3 times in the space of 10 minutes and looked uncomfortable. Took her down to ride and she appeared lame, tender when touching her left rear flank, she also kept putting her head down like she had an itch on her chest. Trainer said this morning she lunged her, she was totally sound and happy, ate her food this AM with no problems, stools looked ok, but she looked "tucked up" behind. She is not colicky. We're wondering if it's a reaction to the Mare Magic, anyone else had issues with it?

bumping this up for you

thanks ma'm! what's really frustrating is when I google side effects for Mare Magic, I get this in the results from SmartPak:

"Symptoms such as weight loss, diarrhea, sudden change in behavior, etc. may be signs of a ..."

But when I got to the link referenced, which is just the Mare Magic page on smartpak.com, there is nothing mentioned there about it. ARGHHHH

PS when I google "raspberry leaves" side effects, in humans, it says if taken in too high a dosage, can lead to cramping and diarrhia. Interesting.