The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rosie could use some jingles

My elder Heinz 57 dog, Rosie, had to go to the vet this AM. She didn't eat dinner last night or this AM. DH even offered her wet cat food and she turned up her nose. She is acting a bit lethargic.
    Initial testing at vet is that she is anemic. She is staying at the vets for more testing: blood, urine, probably and abdominal xray. Vet thinks there is a possiblility of an abdominal bleed.
    Last dog I had that had an abdominal bleed it was hemangiosarcoma and we lost him to that pretty quickly.

Rosie is anywhere from 13-16 years old. The nuns in Downingtown found her on Thanksgiving 5 years ago. She was underweight, smelled like a skunk, had 3 types of worms and Lyme disease.
    She was microchipped in 1999 by our local SPCA but the new owners never changed the chip to their information. Their records indicate she was between 1-3 years old in 1999. SPCA was never able to locate the owners. No great loss as far as I am concerned. She came with behavioral baggage and wasn't housebroken.

She is now housebroken as long as she has access to the dogdoor. She hasn't figured out the holding it thing. We have the occasional accident during thunderstorms.
    It took her a couple of years but she did figure out how to play with my lab. He has even taught her new bad habits like ripping up cardboard and begging at the table.

I just really hope that whatever going on is treatable.
    The good news is she had surgery about 2 months ago for removal of a growth on her face and a couple of cysts on her neck. Because of her age they pulled extensive bloodwork and did a UA. She was good then.

So please jingle hard for Miss Rosie. She had a hard life before I got her. She deserves some more time being a happy family pet.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Default JINGLES FOR ROSIE ``` JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO

JINGLES FOR ROSIE ```

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

What a good mom you are to Rosie! Poor girl, I'll keep her in my thoughts and say some prayers for her that everything will be okay.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    So please jingle hard for Miss Rosie. She had a hard life before I got her. She deserves some more time being a happy family pet.
    any updates?

I typed out a long reply and the net ate it.

Blood and urine results are good. Xray of chest is clean. Xray of abdomen- one, maybe two masses. The one mass is on or near the spleen.
    We are opting for the ultrasound tomorrow. If she has more than one tumor or if the tumor is on the spleen we will just keep her comfortable.
    If there is one tumor and it is not on the spleen we will consider exploratory surgery. With this option if it is removable it will be removed. If it isn't removable we will euthanize on the table.

If the tumor is on the spleen we figure the risk of it being hemangiosarcoma is too high. I have already put one dog through removing the spleen and he lived 3 weeks.
    Average life expectancy after spleen surgery if it is the hemangiosarcoma is 19-65 days. To me that is not worth the trauma of the surgery for the outcome.

I am normally a glass is half full kinda girl but I having a really tough time staying positive. Especially with our prior experience with Sparky.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Megajingles to Rosie and hugs and prayers to you, SM. Rosie has a wonderful mama.

Jingles for the best outcome for Rosie, whatever that is.
    Hugs to you.

Many jingles and very sorry for you both!

Jingles for Rosie and thinking of you both today.

Jingling for you and Rosie.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Bad news with the ultrasound. Mass is attached to the spleen. She has a small one on the liver and another small one on the adrenal gland. Evidence on the ultrasound indicates that the spleen one burst at some point and she had a bleed. She is not currently bleeding.
    Vet that did the ultrasound figures a 66% chance of it being cancerous.
    We are just going to keep her comfortable and give her lots of food and attention. She can even have wet Beneful on her food. My dogs just can dry food with water on it so wet dog food is quite the treat.
    She is laying on the floor behind me with a peanut butter flavored rawhide chip.
    She was much perkier today than yesterday. She walked me around the outside of the big vet clinic we were at today. She stood the whole way over to the clinic and most of the way back- 40 minutes each way.
    We will take it one day at a time.

Oh so sorry to hear this! What a very lucky dog she is to have you. Bless you for everything you've done and are doing for your RosieGirl. You have the best plan...spoil her rotten!

Sending you strength for these final days. Rosie is in the very best hands.

Jingles for a Rosie and for you family.

Default JINGLES CONTINUE FOR ROSIE AND HER FAMILY ``

JINGLES CONTINUE FOR ROSIE & HER FAMILY ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks for all the jingles.
    At this point Rosie is happy and perky. We get happy teeth chatters at meal time. She had been playing with the lab. She bounds up the steps at bedtime and can still easily hop on the bed. Not bad for an old girl.

Regretfully I know it is a matter of time until she has another bleed. Until then she can gets lots of attention and lots of extra good treats.

I think I should send a note the to nuns that found her 5 years ago on Thanksgiving. Maybe they can say a prayer for her.
    I was going to name her after the principle that found her. The nuns put her in the principle's office during mass. The sister's name was Sister John. We went for Rosie which is kinda short for Rosary.

I love Rosie's name and the reason you gave it to her!

Definitely ask the sisters to pray for her! Can your/their priest come and bless her?

Jingling and praying for Rosie and the lab and all of you.

I was at the monastery gift shop the other day buying a medal for a friend; maybe I should go to the tack shop today and buy a new curb chain!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique