The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stray kittens, WWYD?

There's a stray cat that hangs around my roommates house. Very friendly, seemingly healthy except for being VERY very skinny. She seems to make the rounds for food, hangs on our porch alot. I noticed a few weeks ago when she was laying down on her side that her belly looked awful round for as skinny as she was. Sure enough, I walk out the front door tonite and there she is with 5 kittens right on the porch. *sigh*

I do NOT need a cat right now. I'm actually moving in a few days to another place. So do I leave these little kittens in an area with lots of traffic, stray toms that fight right outside all the time and stray dogs, where they'll either get killed or end up perpetuating the cycle of producing more and more and more unwanted cats? Can't take them to the local shelter, they are full, and the only other shelter is a hell hole. The city is already overrun with animals.

I know I could take at least one, maybe 2 for myself. However I'm not sure if they are old enough to take from mom, and otherwise I would have to take momma AND all 5 kittens to my new place. Or I would have to choose which 2 would get to be saved? Argh. Plus since my roommates are moving and the house is going to sit vacant for who knows how long, one of momma's main food sources will be gone.

I know I should just walk away and leave them alone, let nature take it's course and all that crap. But my heart is breaking. They all look very healthy, huge eyes, nursing from momma, playing and are very friendly. I don't have a phone to take pictures right now but since this is the first I've seen them, I'm guessing this is their first trip out. Their eyes are wide open and still blue, they walk around fine but are a little wobbly, and are still nursing from mom, but they are decent sized. I have no clue how old they would be or if it would even be safe to take them away from her at this point.

Anybody have some advice?
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

What I would do is load them all up and take them to the new place and work on finding them homes. It doesn't sound like they are quite old enough to wean yet. From the tone of your post it's clear that you're going to feel badly about it if you walk away.

If I were closer I'd take a couple! I once had a stray dog move her 10 puppies into my feed room, so I feel your pain.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

if it was me. I'm the crazy cat lady so for me I'd keep them. But, you could try Craigslist? Maybe someone will take momma and her kittens till they can be weaned?

You know you have to take them with you. Find homes for the kittens, spay mom and say 'hello new Kitteh'.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

What would I do? Take momma and kitties. I saved 11 kittens this summer. it cost me a couple hundred dollars and i had to park them in my bedroom and me on the couch. but i placed 9 and found a "heart" kitty in the bunch.
    I posted on my facebook page and almost all the homes came from there.
    you need pictures to attract the suckers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    You know you have to take them with you. Find homes for the kittens, spay mom and say 'hello new Kitteh'.
    Yeah, that would likely be me. (Or rehome most kittens and mom and keep one kitteh for me.)

I know you are at a tough point right now moving and all and you must have ALOT on your mind and I am sorry to say I dont have any advice for you but just a kind request ~ PLEASE dont leave these babies behind - momma has come to you for help! You can do it, I am sure the power of COTH would be here to help you with any question or concern you will have. We have seen the miracles that can happen here on COTH, just ask and we will all stand behind you!

I just couldn't leave them there myself. I know you sure don't need a bunch of cats. I have a bunch now because I just couldn't bring myself to do a terminal spay when one of the drifter kitties finally settled in here. NO plans to rehome these though, they each have a job in the barns and outbuildings.
    I like Sheas'moms method, I hope it works for you as well. Good luck!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

no way could I leave them there

I know it sucks.. I currently have 6 permanent strays. 5 outside and 1 inside. who are all UTD, spayed/neutered, on flea control, dewormed, and fed 2x a day.

its hard.. for sure.... but, I can live with myself. and every time I look into their wittle eyes, and pick one up who cant purr loud enough, I fall more and more in love with them

so, join the rest of us who have "SUCKER" written on our foreheads, and repeat.... "GRR! this sucks, but, im taking care of the kittehs"

if you call the local humane society, you can find a low cost speuter clinic.

Well looks like I've been "suckered" in. I went to check on them this morning and they all came bounding out to greet me, and right after I checked on them this evening the first thing I see on TV is that sad animal shelter commercial that always makes me want to cry. So as long as my new roommates are ok with it, guess I'll be bringing the little bundles with me!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

That was so nice of you to do while you are dealing with moving. How old are the babies? Even if they aren't ready to leave mom yet, I would start taking pictures for flyers, facebook, etc. That way, hopefully, when they are ready to go, you will have homes for the ones you need to have homes for. Plus, while your taking pictures, you could post cute kitten photos here

Big {{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}} to you for giving them a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! They wouldn't stand much chance alone. Good luck finding them homes. Luckily it is easier as the winter progresses!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Definality take pictures now!! The smaller they are the more everybody loves kittens!! And go ahead and look into the Friends of Feral Felines/TNR type programs in your area, that way, worst case senario you can get the babies and momma cat fixed and help stop the cycle for little to no out of pocket expense.

And major thanks for giving these guys a chance!!! Too few people do thses days, and while I often come off as a hard a** on here, I love to help find baby kittens homes and better lives!! And just and FYI, since many momma cats will continue nursing long past when they need to, 2 weeks since you have seen the eyes open is fien to wean them and get them shipped off to their new homes!! Wait too long and they start to lose some of that kitten cuteness and become harder to place....... which is whay I have 4-5 cats at any given point and time....

Katherine
    Vet Tech
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I figured they are between 4-5 weeks old. Already eating kitten food and (mostly) using t the litter box for their business. The tiger kitten is my snuggle buddy already, I think he will be staying :-) And a friend fell in love with one after I posted some cute pictures on facebook (thanks for that tip!) so he'll have a home. Thanks everybody for the "push". Sometimes you just have to choose the right thing to do over the smart thing to do lol.
    OTTB CONNECT

Bless you for giving them a chance! The world needs more people like you who care.

Here's a picture of my little tiger kitten that I'm keeping, too cute, had to share :-)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/...95069122_o.jpg
    OTTB CONNECT

Resisting that much cuteness would have been totally impossible even if you had tried!!!

Now we have to see pics of the other kitties.

There's a special place in heaven for you Banshee, along with everyone else who wouldn't have been able to leave those kitties behind to fend for themselves.

Bless you Bansheebreeze. Maybe a local barn needs some barn kitties. Once spayed, the momma cat would probably do great as a barn mouser. Please post pics of the other kittens. Maybe someone on CoTH could take one.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.