The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Honey Run Team Challenge

Who's going??!!! This will be my first team event and I dont know my teammates but guess we'll all meet each other eventually at the dressage warmup! Can't wait! Should be a blast!

I'm going! Just got my ride times--11:18 dressage and 11:47 XC! And I have a 3 hour drive . . . will be leaving no later than 5am in order to have time to at least walk XC once, very fast.

It is one of my favorite shows because of the teams. What division are you in? I am in Novice B(?) on a loud pinto horse.

Know anyone who is speedy and competent and wants to make some good bucks being a very busy groom between 11am and 1pm?
    Click here before you buy.

Awesome! I'm in Novice C but I think our Xc times for our group, or at least our team, will have to be adjusted as my xc is scheduled during my dressage time! That would be interesting! 1154 dressage, 1159 xc. I'm efficient, but not THAT efficient!

Sorry.. Don't really know of any speedy helping hands If I did, I would've utilized them this season since I was competing two all season! I'm going to feel like I'm in vacation since I'm only riding one this weekend! Lol!

See u there and good luck!

my xc is scheduled during my dressage time!
    LOL! Come on, don't be such a whiner!

It sounds like they are going to do some major revisions to the schedule, so check again later today. Either way, see you Sunday!

I will be there, for the first time in the capacity of "owner/groom." Trainer is taking my boy to his first Training! However, she will be unlikely to do anything seriously dumb like I did last weekend. *berates self*

DW, I will check ride times and may be able to run over to help you since I'm not riding and little Baxter should be done by then. Or I can ask around the barn to see if any of the girls are free. You'll be easy enough to find!

OK, new ride times are posted! Now I ride dressage at 8:48, XC at 11:52. Much less hectic! Of course now I have to leave the barn at 4am instead of 5am! Poor spotted horsey.

So I'm probably OK without a groom, but if someone wants to bring me a Pepsi at about 9:30 I will be needing one!

*dances around* I got to pet Boscoe's nose!

DW, XC@<3, how did you guys finish up? I missed your results and the postings were only for XC!

My trainer came off of XC talking about how Baxter just needs to learn to get a bit closer to the fences before he can go Prelim!

Boscoe was a rockstar! Getting off the trailer, immediately tacked up, and off to dressage warmup on frosty grass was not optimal for his six-year-old brain, so dressage was a little less relaxed than usual. The cute little score-runners with frightening (to a horse) Halloween hats also were a little scary, LOL!

He went around XC with minimal warmup, too--the warmup footing was AWFUL so we trotted a little, popped the X-rail and vertical a couple of times, and I promised him the footing was MUCH better on course. Which it was. He zipped aound like a pro, kind of dragging me to the fences so I had to hold him more than I'd like to, but that is the plan at this stage--correct, support, rate, and have nice, thinking trips rather than just run 'n gun. We were 25 seconds under optimum and he felt like he was just cantering. Little horse has WHEELS on him and I can't wait to use them . . . some day!

SJ was better than last time--he only scurried to the first one and then tried to listen to me the rest of the time. It was deep spot after deep spot and that's not MY happy place, but letting him do the long ones is just not good for his progress, so we tried to go slow, had one rail and a few time faults with less-than-snappy turns, and finished sixth.

Bax, TOLD YOU I had rail-itis! And the funny thing is, it happened AFTER I started to actually ride the course! The first 4 fences I was just a decoration on his back, and we had a hard knock at 2 but it miraculously stayed up; counter cantered to 3 (since I was just decoration at that point I didnt ask for a flying change) but he managed to jump the snot out of 3 and 4. And then a thought ran through my head that said, "Oh, I'm the rider..I should be riding!" and then I actually rode, thinking of maintaining an uphill engaged canter to get to the bases of the fences (he LOVES to not come thru behind and get flat and leave long and I LOVE to run him and see the LONG ones!) and he jumped the rest beautifully but we had the rail at 6, even though we made a balanced rollback and came in at a perfect spot. Oh well. I am thrilled to say that I really sat up and rode 7 the way it should be and he jumped that fabulously! So a rail and time dropped us from 1st to 4th...ahhh well. XC was a blast and he made it seem so easy and small, dare I say, both XC and SJ seemed small...hmmm, Training???? (ok realistically not until we do our homework and get his canter jumping thru better in SJ)

Have you done a N3D? Wanna do the one next June (if they have it again) in Indiana? I think thats the one DW went to right?

DW...I agree. The warmup footing for XC was horrendous. I did the SAME thing for warmup! Pop over the xrail and vertical, landing each time telling him the footing out on course would be better! I felt so bad that I had to ask him to jump out there

Yep, we did the N3D in Indiana this past June, although I was riding Bonnie and not the new guy. He will be aimed for that event, however, and I'm hoping Keebler, who just TODAY graduated from stall rest after 4 months, might make it there as well. I hope to have Boscoe going Training again by next summer, but a N3D would be super fun and a perfect stepping stone to the T3D I also hope to tackle next year!

I am glad you guys both had safe, fun rides!

Yay! You got over the plank-jump bogey! I swear that jump 6 was cursed. That course really shook things up for all the divisions - Baxter was also 1st (!) after dressage but had a rail too. (We were actually kinda glad because that moved our girl who had a bad fall/ broken leg this spring into first place for her first time back up to Training. )

How did your teams do? Our division only had one team that finished "intact"! After that, they had to rank based on two riders instead of three. We had multiple additions and subtractions to our team, and were sad to realize after the fact that our three black geldings could have been "Men in Black" instead of "Stud Muffins."

OMG, a 3 day would be so fun. Cross fingers that poneh stays sound and the bank account looks less pathetic come next spring!

Our team had one RF and one score that was in the triple digits (not me this time, hooray, progress!) so I'm pretty sure our team score was not very good! But my other teammate, who is also my farrier and a great friend, got 2nd place so I was pretty cheesed for him.

YES!!! LETS ALL DO THE N3D!!!! Of course crossing our fingers that we and the ponies stay sound! I plan on working LOTS of OT now thru the winter to a) pay off colic surgery bill b) replenish my savings account after paying said bill c) save up for all my "planned" events for both horses (crossing fIngers that Daisy makes a full recovery w no complications and is ready to rock and roll again) and d) hopefully save some extra money so I can head south in March to get a jump start on training... Yes, that's alot of OT but thankfully there's always a nursing shortage! Lol!

Our team ended up 2nd!

Ugh, don't even mention vet bills! The elderly feline gentleman of the house has been in the kitty ICU for two days, and is now at the regular vet for further tests and treatment. I think my credit card is actually smoldering and sparking. Sigh.

Oh no!!! Jingles for kitty!