The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What website name do you like better? (Neither site is live)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Equitation trainer/farm with an indoor in the Urbana/Poolesville area

Hello, can anyone recommend a good equitation trainer in the Poolesville/Urbana area? Any thoughts on Nothing Fancy Farm or Tulip Pond Farm? My daughter is 16 and would be showing in the 3'/3'3 eventually moving up to the big eq classes. We would be trailering in to lesson. We live in Urbana and have our horses in Lovettsville.

Thanks!

Thanks. Can you recommend anyone in the Leesburg area? We will be doing local plus A rated shows.

Alan Lohman would be my rec. Great guy, great facility. I would not recommend Nothing Fancy. I do not think they cater to the type of competition you are looking for. I don't know much about Tulip Pond and its program, but it is a nice place.

Funny, our farm is in Urbana...I honestly can't think of any hunter/eq people IN this general area! Most I know are foxhunters or eventers! The h/j/eq people I know are either in Poolesville or Westminster/Mt. Airy. If you are willing to go THAT way, I highly recommend the Krome's/Persimmon Tree Farm. They are top notch.

In Leesburg, I recommend Ed Lane...he's in Lucketts, so easy to get to from Lovetsville AND Urbana (takes 35 min to get from downtown Leesburg to our farm right off of Rt. 80, so Ed would be even closer). In the Aldie area is Peter Foley, also a great guy.

sent you a pm

Sent you a pm

Would you be leaving horses in Lovettsville? If so I'd give Ed Lane a try - he's got a lovely facility and is great. From Point of Rocks Alan Lohman's or Broad Run Farm would be good. Both have lovely facilities . Another option would be the Lytles which is just off Rt 28.

Agree w/ Yellowbritches on Nothing fancy and Tulip Pond, except I've heard that Tulip Pond does alot w/ the college riding teams and not so much other horse showing.
    Last edited by gottagrey; Sep. 29, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

If you're in Lovetsville, you're not far from Waterford. Dorna Taintor has a lovely facility in Waterford--she used to work for Joe Fargis, and her clients stay with her forever; she is very good with that age bracket, and knows her way around the eq ring.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoasteventer View Post
    Is that the place across the street? There's nothing horsey on either side of his barn, from what I can tell.
    The place across the street is my old barn... It's called Beyond A Bay and the trainer is Barbie Burns. (Alan used to used that facility until he moved). Anyway, she's a really lovely trainer who has several students showing in the 3' and 3'6 eq classes on the AA circuit and doing well. I'd definitely recommend her, she really knows her stuff and runs a good business.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

I know a junior riding at Barbie's and doing well, getting good instruction, good horse care and having a ball!

Default Centurian Farm

My daughter I took a lesson with Megan at Centurion Farm and we absolutely LOVE it there! The farm is the most beautiful farm that I have ever seen and Megan is willing to work with our sale horses and us! Thanks everyone!

I have driven by your farm! It's really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Alan Lohman would be my rec. Great guy, great facility. I would not recommend Nothing Fancy. I do not think they cater to the type of competition you are looking for. I don't know much about Tulip Pond and its program, but it is a nice place.

Funny, our farm is in Urbana...I honestly can't think of any hunter/eq people IN this general area! Most I know are foxhunters or eventers! The h/j/eq people I know are either in Poolesville or Westminster/Mt. Airy. If you are willing to go THAT way, I highly recommend the Krome's/Persimmon Tree Farm. They are top notch.

It's pretty amazing that Alan Lohman, Beyond a Bay/Barbie Burns, Broad Run and Centurian are all basically on the same road w/in about 5 minutes of each other. There are also more barns in that same area - a dressage barn next to Alan's, a boarding facility, polo club, another small h/j barn, and a slew of private barns.

FY1 - the hardware store also has tack shop - not much in regards to tack but great for supplies and the Surrey of course on Rt 28. The Harris Teeter is often filled w/ folks in riding togs too

And they say Middleburg is horse country LOL.

I know Dorna - she is great!

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    If you're in Lovetsville, you're not far from Waterford. Dorna Taintor has a lovely facility in Waterford--she used to work for Joe Fargis, and her clients stay with her forever; she is very good with that age bracket, and knows her way around the eq ring.

Last weekend my daughter showed at one of the interschool horse shows at Nothing Fancy Farm. I must say, it was an awful experience. The place was really, really dusty and the horses were of low caliber. The "good" ones were 'given' to the kids who rode at the barn, although I thought we had to draw for them and it took SOOO long to get through the classes that we didn't stay for the jumping class. For all of the effort and time that we spent, we could have gone to a real show and not feeling like Pigpen when we left

It was our first and last visit to that farm. I am thinking that we may try to attend another show at Oatland, perhaps, but right now I am not feeling so inclined. Anyone else have any feedback about these shows?

Thanks!

www.facebook.com/iselltack
    www.youtube.com/redcedarstables
    Last edited by RedCedarStables; Oct. 21, 2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by RedCedarStables View Post
    Last weekend my daughter showed at one of the interschool horse shows at Nothing Fancy Farm. I must say, it was an awful experience. The place was really, really dusty and the horses were of low caliber. The "good" ones were 'given' to the kids who rode at the barn, although I thought we had to draw for them and it took SOOO long to get through the classes that we didn't stay for the jumping class. For all of the effort and time that we spent, we could have gone to a real show and not feeling like Pigpen when we left

It was our first and last visit to that farm. I am thinking that we may try to attend another show at Oatland, perhaps, but right now I am not feeling so inclined. Anyone else have any feedback about these shows?

Thanks!

I used to do the Interschool shows... NFF usually isn't that dusty, maybe they didn't water the ring? Most years it's actually been quite good, I don't ride there but I usually drew pretty good horses, and the staff was always very helpful. Yes, the horses are "low caliber", but then again they're lesson horses, and many of them are on the older end/ retired from show careers. They do the best they can horse wise.

As for the shows at Oatlands, if you think NFF is dusty, Oatlands is worse. Their ring doesn't have that nice waiting area, it's much smaller, and the horses are generally not as well behaved. This is just my experience, I've shown the Interschool shows for 4 years so I've been to both farms multiple times.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedCedarStables View Post

Thanks!

I showed inter school in middle school and a few years in high school. I agree with above poster that Oatlands is worse NFF. There ring is TEENY, the jumping courses used to not even be able to have lines because it was so small. I'm not sure if it is still like this. I didn't love inter school but I took it for what it was. I wasn't expecting to get quality A circuit horses and I think it's a great opportunity for people without horses to ride and prepare for IHSA in college. Getting on a horse you have never ridden before can take someone a long time to get used to, and I know that I feel more prepared riding IHSA now because of inter school. Not many areas has a local program like inter school and I think it is a really great concept. Don't go into it expecting an A quality show though.

Quote Originally Posted by M. O'Connor View Post
    Just chiming in as someone who rides with Dorna and absolutely adores her. She's fabulous with kids & adults alike - very technical & has high expectations, but really teaches you how to ride. Also fantastic with the horses, who all just love her riding. Care is out of this world great.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."