The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southdown Farm, Great Falls, VA: Hunter Trainer?

A friend of mine just asked me about Southdown since I am originally from GF. But I haven't been over there since like 1995. (I think Jenny Graham was there at the time?).

Do they have any hunter riders there now who bring in a trainer? She does the local 2'6" stuff.

Also what's the care and turnout like now? I know a lot of the land was developed so I'm guessing turnout isn't great? I also remember the barn being a little run down and cramped. Maybe they have rennovated?

TIA!

Default Jenny Graham

Sorry, I don't know anything about Southdown, except that I think Jenny WAS there at one point. She's now got her own place - Cedar Creek Farm in Sterling, VA.
    Defying Gravity...Flying High
    * Forever Teddy*

Thanks. Yeah she was there in the early 90's - I leased a horse from her. That was the last time I was there. I'm familiar with where her farm is now.

My friend is hoping that someone comes out to teach now since she is interested in boarding at Southdown.

Thanks.

Bump?

Not sure about now, but last I heard (about a year ago) there was a hunter trainer (Carol Eichner) who taught a lot of kids on ponies - maybe some adults too. Went to lots of VHSA shows, the finals down in Lexington, ect. Seems like your friend would be a good fit for that program.

The barn is old, but functional. To my knowledge it hasn't been renovated... all the electric was replaced maybe 8 years ago. Turnout is ok except for the 6 weeks in the spring when they re-seed and rotate all the horses through one drylot. I don't know what the management and care are like these days. The horses seem to be happy there, but some people do send their horse to the trainer for those 6 weeks in the spring.

Awesome - thanks!