The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question How to feed previcox

My horse is starting a trial of previcox. He is at a boarding barn. How do you feed it so that the horse is most likely to ingest it? Is it enough to drop it on the top of his morning feed? Or do you put it in something, like a cookie, so you know he's eating it?

We always just put it on top of their feed, and unless he's fed in a pan on the ground and paws it all over the place (ahem, our 5yo), he should just eat it in his first bite or so. If he does knock his food around, just giving him a handful of grain with the previcox in it (still in pill form) before you give him his feed will work just fine. They shouldn't notice it since it's pretty small and they just eat it in a bite with their feed.

My horse will eat it out of my hand. Mmmmm.....bacon! But I usually will just toss it in his feed.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I push the 1/4 tablet into a piece of banana and he gobbles it right up.

Also add it to the feed.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I always give it by hand with a mint. I want to know he's getting it, I didn't want to worry that he would drop it as he was eating his feed.

I put it in the feed, but we also feed with feedbags (both pasture and stall horses) so I know they aren't dropping it or flinging it around.

I usually hand feed it either with a bit of grain or stuck in a piece of apple or carrot, simply because I want to make sure he's gotten it. But if I'm being lazy/running late, or my mom is feeding, I just drop it on top.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIL View Post
    My horse is starting a trial of previcox. He is at a boarding barn. How do you feed it so that the horse is most likely to ingest it? Is it enough to drop it on the top of his morning feed? Or do you put it in something, like a cookie, so you know he's eating it?
    I use mushy horse cookies like Stud Muffins as pill pockets! Anything with lots of molasses and oats.

They gobble it right up!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

when I used it on my guy at home, I just added it to his grain and he ate it, but he's not a grain tosser. If I was worried about him actually ingesting it, I'd probably use my standby pill feeding method -- take a small piece of carrot, make a little hollow spot in it for the pill, wedge the pill in, and feed that. Whatever flavor the previcox has for doggies, my horse seemed to like it just fine!

I feed it by hand with a couple of little mint treats. And I really shove it in his mouth so that I'm sure he's gotten it. Also, I'm not feeding it every day anymore. It got rid of his sore feet, and he seems to be going great. So he just gets it now when he has a lesson with the kid who is 1/2 leasing him as a preventive measure.

My horse finds ways to get it out of his mouth and his feed bucket....... I get either an apple slice or a carrot and make a hole with a knife and stuff it in. That is the only way I have ever been able to get him to eat it.

I stick mine in a Stud Muffin and feed it by hand because I want to make sure she is is getting it.

One just gets his with a mint. He'd eat anything though.

The other one I've given up on and gone back to bute when needed.

He will not eat it. I've tried every disguise in the book and a few. He's quite adamant. To the point that if I try to put it in his grain, he'll eat every single scrap, lick up the gravy, and leave that one tiny quarter pill very prominently in the middle of his polished clean feed bowl. For about 3 days I got away with wedging it in the center of a peppermint Life-Saver. Now he won't take a mint off me without close inspection...

He'll eat that foul-tasting flavored bute powder mixed wih his dinner, no problem...

He's 27, so entitled to his own opinions at this juncture, I guess.

I put the previcox in a fig newton cookie. We only have one horse that doesn't like fig newtons. Someone bought some strawberry newtons. Nobody liked those. They prefer the regular fig newtons.

Peeps! Works great...if your horses are weird like ours. Maybe all of ours are just so food-oriented that they'll eat just about anything.

My BO gives Previcox to 6 or 7 horses every day. She just puts the pills in her pocket and sticks the pill in the horse's mouth as she takes them out in the morning or checks them during the day if they are outdoor boarded!
    No need for a cookie/carrot/apple/grain... She just puts it in the side and waits to make sure it's swallowed.
    Not a problem with any of them!

I find injecting any equine probiotics in a home made muffin very much effective.

What does does everyone use?

I just fed it with a couple treats in my hand. Didn't matter what kind of treats. I went away for a couple days and asked my trainer to give it to him, but I forgot to tell him how I fed it so he went through all the effort of crushing it up, putting it in a syringe and giving it that way. Haha whoops.