The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wow! Found the "right" saddle

Sometimes, you just get lucky. When I started dressage lessons, my trainer let me use her saddle a time or two (Windsor Greenline) loved it.

When I finally purchased a saddle I tried to get something that was similar in design and ended up with a Klimke Miller.
    I like the Klimke alot - so does a fellow boarder I loaned it to for a show.

Trainer gets new horse - Windsor not really wide enough.
    Fellow boarder looking for a Klimke because she likes mine so much - so the great saddle swap occurs!

I now have the Windsor - fellow boarder has the Klimke and our trainer has cash for a down payment on her new saddle!

Rode in the Windsor yesterday - I didn't think a saddle could make that big a difference!

I love when a plan comes together.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Yay for you!!!

I just went through the great saddle find! Old saddle was tearing me up!!! Couldn't post the trot, could barely walk, etc, etc. Discovered the seat was too small, and just not a good fit.

Found the right saddle, and WOW! Had one of my best lessons ever last week! It was wonderful! I am back to enjoying my rides, and moving forward! It was about time! Never again will I discount the saddle fit when things start to go wrong. It will be the first place I look!
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Congrats Blkarab! Glad you found "your" saddle!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

You did well, the Windsor is a eally nice saddle.

You don't believe how much difference a correctly fitting and balanced saddle for you as well as the horse, can make, until you achieve Nirvana.

My weight has yo-yoed a bit recently, and getting back to the same weight that I was when my saddle was originally made for me--and we're only talking 6 or 7lbs--has even made a huge difference.

(Damn menopause. I really don't need to store fat in my bottom against future famine in this day and age.)

So happy for you!!! I am waiting on my 'ideal' saddle to arrive any day now! *drums fingers impatiently*

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    You did well, the Windsor is a eally nice saddle.

You don't believe how much difference a correctly fitting and balanced saddle for you as well as the horse, can make, until you achieve Nirvana.

My weight has yo-yoed a bit recently, and getting back to the same weight that I was when my saddle was originally made for me--and we're only talking 6 or 7lbs--has even made a huge difference.

(Damn menopause. I really don't need to store fat in my bottom against future famine in this day and age.)

Nirvana is right! And no, you wouldn't think 6 or 7 lbs would make a difference, but it sure does - been there, done that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    So happy for you!!! I am waiting on my 'ideal' saddle to arrive any day now! *drums fingers impatiently*
    Thank you - I hope your new saddle is everything you hope it will be!!

Thanks TH! It is the Stubben Genesis Special D - and I've ridden in 3 different Demo models on 7 different horses, plus one of Catherine's personal saddles on 2 different horses, so it's a total piece of heaven for me but I'm a bit anxious for it to get here so we can kick their training along in a more meaningful way.

Tasker - lucky, lucky you!! Pictures will be in order . . .

It is the Stubben Genesis Special D - and I've ridden in 3 different Demo models on 7 different horses, plus one of Catherine's personal saddles on 2 different horses.
    Sorry to hijack (will do it anyway ) but did you find much fit difference between the different models on the horses (I'm assuming that all the saddles were on the Genesis tree) - I love that saddle but the local tack does not have a demo (do have other Stubbens on a genesis tree, none of which were a great fit for the horse).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Tasker - lucky, lucky you!! Pictures will be in order . . .
    Sure!

For the record - I adore this saddle and can not say enough good things about the balance and close contact. But having said that - it is like having a fine tool - you need instruction on how to ride in it! I've been lucky to work with Catherine several times with the saddle(s) and different horses, so I can catch some of my position habits that will plague me until I can ride 'properly'. And the regional rep came to the house and gave me access to several different ones to try on different horses one day...but all that aside - it is the only saddle I've ever sat in that allows me to ride the biggest movers without fighting for my balance! I'm smitten!! (obviously)

alto - I'm not sure where you are located but if you are anywhere in the MD/NJ/PA/DE area and can arrange it - as soon as the new saddle gets here (should be in the next 7-10 days) we are coordinating with Stubben to have a rep come with different saddles (sizes, trees, models, etc) to do a fitting/demo day. When he was here in July fitting my guys, out of 9 horses, only 2 need a different tree size - but all of ours are 'related' with common ancestors. So with a shim here and a shim there, I can customize my saddle to fit 99% of our horses. The 2 'odd' size guys are the same width, so they will get Ellie's saddle #2 when I've sold some of our excess inventory. If you can't work it to come when Stubben is here - you are welcome to stop over and have a sit in mine. And as far as I know - the new tree is only in the Genesis Special D - not any of the other models. I will check with Stubben and let you know.

Photos (L-R)
    June on Wyatt
    August on Oz
    August on Oz
    August on Wyatt
    August on Wyatt

Those are all from 2 different CHS clinics. The saddles on Wyatt (June) and Oz (August) are brand new - like my rump was the first 1 to sit in it new. The August Wyatt photos are when I was lucky enough to sit in Catherine's saddle. I used it on Liam as well but his photos aren't very interesting (he's just 4).

OP - sorry to take this off topic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6809sm.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	33908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0527sm.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	33909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0486sm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	33910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0551sm.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	33911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0560sm.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	33912  

WOW!!! Very Nice!!

I just got a "new" used Stubben from a poster on this board. I hadn't realized how much my saddle wasn't helping me anymore since the change was gradual - I just knew it was no longer fitting my horse right.

Wow! Saddle fit sure makes a difference. Plus the much straighter flaps work far better for me. Used saddles purchased from folks with longer legs often leave me struggling against chair seat, as the indentations from their legs are in the wrong spot for me. This saddle REALLY helps me sit properly.

I'd eventually like the Genesis, but need to ride better before I'm ready for one, plus right now the vet/chiro says I'll probably go through about 4 more saddles on my horse the way his topline is changing and has changed in the 5+ years he's known my horse, so I'm in no hurry to get an expensive saddle yet!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Thanks TH! It is the Stubben Genesis Special D - and I've ridden in 3 different Demo models on 7 different horses, plus one of Catherine's personal saddles on 2 different horses, so it's a total piece of heaven for me but I'm a bit anxious for it to get here so we can kick their training along in a more meaningful way.
    I just got a Stubben Genesis D--well ordered from the Stubben's website saddle sale.

Can you tell me what is the difference between a Special D and the Genesis D?
    I used to ride in the close contact flat panel Stubben Tristan. Will it be hard to re-learn to sit in this saddle? Will it be love at first sight? Can't wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by caper View Post
    I just got a Stubben Genesis D--well ordered from the Stubben's website saddle sale.

Can you tell me what is the difference between a Special D and the Genesis D?
    I used to ride in the close contact flat panel Stubben Tristan. Will it be hard to re-learn to sit in this saddle? Will it be love at first sight? Can't wait to try it out!
    Caper - I haven't ridden in the Genesis - only the Genesis Special D. As far as I know, the Genesis is a different tree - the GSD has a tree that the rails (the 2 pieces that connect the pommel to the cantle) are actually independently flexible both side to side and front to back and that is what I want/need. I looked at the Genesis(es) on the sale site and got itchy fingers as I am 12 weeks into the wait but I spoke to my sales rep @ Stubben and he said that the saddles are not the same. I do have an ancient used Tristan that I picked up for super cheap to get me over the hump until the GSD gets here. It is not the same. At all. I've debated getting some newer Tristans (like in the sale) but in the end, I want the tree that is in the GSD, so there is no point in spending the $$ multiple times.

Having said all of that - I think you'll do fine if you used to ride in a Tristan. It takes me about 10 strides to adjust to the GSD when I've had access to them. The amount of freedom in the horse's back in the canter is the big area where I feel the difference - they have way more jump up through their loins/withers/base of the neck as the GSD seems to allow the power to flow more freely...but that is just my opinion/experience. I like my Tristan well enough but I love the GSD. I think the Genesis has more knee roll/blocking but could be wrong. The GSD has almost none - which I prefer.

ETA: Here is the 2007 gelding in the GSD that is one of Catherine's - so lots of good karma attached to this one! You can see how little there is as far as knee roll, thigh blocking, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604s.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	33940  
    Last edited by Tasker; Sep. 28, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Tasker thank you for your insight on the various Genesis models. Well that sounds like I made a good choice for myself then. I am not getting any young and thought that the Biomex seat would help my seatbones/and reduce back pain.
    As you stated there is a small block on the Genesis D that I really think will be beneficial for me at this stage of my life/riding.
    I am past my mid 50's (WAHHH!) and short legged. So I will appreciate the half panels and thus making it a close contact type saddle with some support of a small block/knee roll.