The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default stupid braiding yarn color question

What color yarn would you use to braid this pony with this kid and coat color (olive/grey)? It's a short stirrup pony so fun is fine, but it is for a championship show.

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/47...425x425Q85.jpg

PS also she has lots of little hairs that are too short to braid over, any suggestions?

From what I can tell it looks like it's a light brown, sort of a peanut butter color? Or whatever yarn you can find that most closely matches the top layer of hair (that will be showing the most.)

When you say "lots" of little hairs, how many are we talking? A little bit of hairspray is good for stray hairs. Spray it on your hand (non-aerosol) and then smooth over the flyaway hairs. But if it's more than just a handful of stray hairs, I'm not sure what you would do to keep them down while the rest is braided.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

hair that is too short to braid but will stick up when the rest of the mane is braided. Ok I can certainly try hair spray. The pony is the color of a palomino but doesn't have the flaxen mane...I was told we could even do something similar to my dd's coat color?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'd be braiding that pony in a chocolate brown and loading the mane with hair-spray. If the sections are too short to braid on their own, try splitting those sections into little ones, braiding *those*, and then braiding the little braids together with yarn added in if necessary.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I agree with SweetMutt. I would definitely match to the pony, not to coat, and would go with whatever color matches closest! I just think it will look nicer and won't stand out. I just get the mane damp and that usually does the trick well enough. If the braids are smaller, I have an easier time pulling everything in. If it isn't a TON of hair, I'd just try to braid it in, and if that doesn't work, just let it be for this show. Next show it will have grown out enough! Don't pull it out, you'll just have the same problem again!

WalMart usually has a good selection of Red Heart yarn, which is what I always use, and they will probably have a color similar to the pony's mane!

When in doubt, go one shade darker than the pony's mane. Especially if the mane is as tricky as you say, you don't want to call any extra attention to it. If the mane was perfect, I'd risk matching to the coat (which I do think is fun on the little ones). But if it is suffering the ill-effects of a season's worth of braiding (or rubbing), go conservative.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Thanks guys, you can see in the pic the little hairs I'm speaking about, it's like fringe sticking up She's only been braided once this year, but she always has that problem. Ok, thanks guys, I will have to pick up some different options to try on her. I'm thinking maybe a rich caramel?

Smile

Chocolate brown...Yes.
    friend of bar*ka

I'll be the voice of dissent! I love my animals braided with colored yarns - we've always used light blue and navy for all of ours and it always looks great

Take a good picture of her mane on your cell phone, then go to a crafts store like Michael's of AC Moore. They sell embroidery floss in almost any color you can imagine. You may luck out and find yarn, but I usually find better matches in embroidery floss for the reds/browns.

I agree, I think chocolate brown would be adorable. I too love navy blue but definitely wouldn't work on a palomino. If the hairs are near the poll, I usually stick them under the crownpiece of the bridle. Everywhere else I would use hairspray or you could even try bobbi pins or clips.

Chocolate brown or... we used to do our palomino in french blue or peach depending upon my daughters jacket. Keep in mind this was short stirrup/pre-childrens pony!
    friend of bar*ka

exactly addison, she is a short stirrup pony (as of right now at least ). Does anyone think a olivey grey color would work? Or just go with one of the browns?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    exactly addison, she is a short stirrup pony (as of right now at least ). Does anyone think a olivey grey color would work? Or just go with one of the browns?
    Short stirrup or not, I have never heard of matching braiding yarn to the rider's apparel. And "olivey grey" yarn on that color pony sounds icky. Go with brown or something close to the color of the mane.

I would do chocolate brown.

For the hairs, if they are "mane" hairs use a little dippty do, or similar hair gel when you start the braid. It will keep them in place and washes out easily. If the are more like the coat hair, use the clippers and trim them. If she has only been braided once and the mane is in good condition, they maybe more of coat texture and never grow long enough to layover.

Hmm... Maybe a caramel-ish brown? When in doubt, definitely go one shade darker. Taking a picture of her mane with your phone so you have the color with you is a good idea, or even snip a piece of her tail if they're the same color. Cute pony, good luck to her and your daughter!!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

thanks guys, I don't want to go too dark, as I think chocolate might be. So maybe I'll try a caramel color.

It may well be overgrown coat hairs, she's VERY hairy...and otherwise her mane is in fine shape. She has overgrown coat hairs at the base of her tail too, wonder how that will braid up (not my responsibilitiy - I don't do tails!)

I grew up putting navy in my little roan's orange mane, but things change and my DD showed him with a caramel color. I think you will be happy with it. Good luck at the show!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I would match the mane or go a little darker (easier to see to take out), and then use a healthy dose of super hold hair gel to stick down the fly-away bits. If you want something fun, a tiny charm on the forelock or on the 7th braid.

A dark brown is fine on a palomino, even one with a truly flaxen mane, and will blend fine even on a lightish chestnut.

I've always matched yarn to horse, not the rider. Olive grey yarn would look off on a flaxen mane, IMHO.

Cheapo industrial strength hair gel is your friend for keeping down flyaways. Not sure if I'd want to use an aerosol-style hairspray near a horse's ears/head. Maybe a mousse if it's advertised as containing Gorilla Glue.

Make sure you've got some extra gel or mousse in your ringside grooming box for last minute touch-ups.