The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

you know, I do shop around and the extra that Smartpak charges usually ends up being nominal. Especially if you buy enough now to qualify for free shipping.

I too am such a shopaholic though. Used to be for clothes, that has now morphed into stuff for the horse. Just bought her a new pair of boots (from Horsemen's Outlet who is FANTASTIC, btw. So easy to deal with) and now I'm saving up for a new figure 8 bridle. Oh, and not to mention all the "wants" versus the "needs". I think the list of stuff is pretty much neverending.

October is the highlight of my year because of Capital Challenge and Washington International. The reason I can't miss them??? Duh?? Its the vendors of course!

I definitely have a horse stuff problem.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My big nice Smartpak box has arrived (about 20 minutes ago)! So it is time for product reviews.

1. Tredstep Donatello Field Boots I got these in a 39 slim, which is size 8-8.5. I typically wear 7.5-8 so these are a bit roomy in the foot, but still very much wearable (is that even a word?). Slim is nice and tight, but I'm in-between slim and regular and I'm sure they will stretch out a bit. My last boots came off Ebay and were full calf so having a nicely fitting boot is a relief. The leather is nice, I assume they will break in very quickly judging from the reviews of other people who have bought these boots. I think they will be a perfect height once they drop a bit. The sole looks pretty grippy.

2. Ariat All Circuit Breeches I purchased these in Khaki in a 26 long. They are a moderate rise, but look good. I think the waist sizing is a bit generous, but I have slimmed down a bit so that might be why. Very nice material, definitely show-worthy. The khaki is DEFINITELY more green than tan. I do jumpers so it really doesn't matter for me, but that's something to keep in mind. A little baggy in the thigh and hip area, but not bad. Overall, I really like them. Especially since they were on sale.

3. Equine Couture Long Sleeve Polo I got this in an XS and LOVE it. It's fits perfectly. I plan to use it this fall in the jumper ring, so it will be tucked into breeches. I read somewhere that if you plan on wearing this shirt untucked, get a size larger and that is definitely true. It's made a little short so it smoothly tucks into your breeches and doesn't clump or show. So for my purpose, it works very well. Beautiful shirt, not tight fitting, but not baggy. It's not made of that smooth cotton material, but I can't describe what it is exactly. Oh well, I like it.

4. Tory Padded Leather Belt As I said earlier, I wear a 26 breech but read that this belt runs small and to order up 2 sizes more than usual. Since I would normally order a 28 belt, I order a 32 (thought it would be much too large) but I'm sure glad I did! It doesn't have too many holes and it fits comfortably on the second to tightest hole with my moderate-rise breeches. Nice leather, not the prettiest or fanciest belt, but conservative and pretty.

5. SSG Gripper Gloves Got these in a size 6 since I like grippy, thin gloves when I ride my TB (he's a puller) and work with my very green mare in her rope halter/lead. I didn't want to spend a lot, since they usually end up with holes anyway. These looked cheap and grippy and that's exactly what they are. They don't fit very nicely- there's a big baggy part between the thumb and pointer finger- but they'll do the job.

6. Korsteel Two Ring French Link Elevator Looks okay, haven't used it yet and it's the same quality as other Korsteel bits. Wish they offered it in a three-ring with the french link mouthpiece.

7. Harwich Curb Reins BEAUTIFUL reins! Very very soft and nice quality. Very pleased with these!

8. M. Toulouse Shaped Leather Girth I got this in a 46" in Cognac and am VERY pleased! Beautiful soft girth with elastic on both sides. I am very excited to take it to the barn and use it.

9. Padded Leather Bracelet I got two of these, one in black/blue for my aunt and one in brown/havana for myself, each with our horse's name on them. The leather is very nice, but I had to bend it a bit to put it on. I assume it will break in fairly quickly by wearing it. I think it's mostly the nameplate that caused it to be straight. But a very beautiful bracelet.

I think that's all I got, and as always, thank you Smartpak for delivering my order in 3 days. They always make the estimated arrival date 4 days for me, but it always comes in in 3 days. Very happy and assuming the rain holds off, I will get to use most of this stuff this weekend at my show!

No matter where you get your leather nameplate bracelets, you have to bend them to fit your wrist. It's normal.

Enjoy your goodies!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Hello my name is Arab_Roots and I have a smartpak addiction. The sad thing is that I don't have a horse right now and have about $200 in my cart which in in addition to the couple hundred that I spent about a month ago. I really do need a new helmet as well but I think I might just ask for that for Xmas. Smartpak will end up making a killing this coming spring if I end up buying a horse instead of leasing. LOL

"The root of all greatness is the Arabian." ~

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    8. M. Toulouse Shaped Leather Girth I got this in a 46" in Cognac and am VERY pleased! Beautiful soft girth with elastic on both sides. I am very excited to take it to the barn and use it.

I think that's all I got, and as always, thank you Smartpak for delivering my order in 3 days. They always make the estimated arrival date 4 days for me, but it always comes in in 3 days. Very happy and assuming the rain holds off, I will get to use most of this stuff this weekend at my show!
    I wish I had known you were looking for a 46" girth, I have a beautiful Edgewood that is no longer being used.

I think SmartPak intentionally adds a day to their estimated arrival, that way we're always happy to receive it early. I ordered some shampoo and stuff on Monday and it arrived on Wednesday, a day ahead as usual.

Every time I total up my projected smartpak order, I'm afraid... I mean, with the free shipping now, ack! I only ever put about 20% of the stuff I want in my cart and I have to buy even less than that.

Also a huge SmartPak addict, a little bit pricier but the customer service is amazing! And Dover's prices seem to be cheaper, but they nail you with shipping! SmartPak can embroider almost everything, im a monogram-aholic...at a barn of around 50 horses, I just have to be. And im from CT, my SmartPak orders arrive in like one day! Its amazing!

Go SmartPak! A+

I love the product reviews on Smartpak... I find them to be far more helpful than the Dover reviews (or other sites with no reviews at all!) If you are ordering exclusively from websites (which I am - closest tack store is 100 miles away and while lovely, is also $$$$ for the same item), the reviews are so helpful. I know you can also Google the item or search for it on here, but if you are just looking for something small, or have a long wish list, the reviews on the same page are really handy.

I'm a SmartPak addict, for sure. The free shipping, free/inexpensive monogramming or engraving, and reliably helpful, friendly service is well worth a few extra dollars on an item's price.

(I am not sure DH agrees.... )

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post

9. Padded Leather Bracelet I got two of these, one in black/blue for my aunt and one in brown/havana for myself, each with our horse's name on them. The leather is very nice, but I had to bend it a bit to put it on. I assume it will break in fairly quickly by wearing it. I think it's mostly the nameplate that caused it to be straight. But a very beautiful bracelet.
    Wait, these come in black/blue now?! I only saw the blue padding available on the havanna. I want the black with blue padding because it matches my dressage bridle. Did you have to call to ask for this combination?

Earlier in the summer I walked into Smartpak with the purpose of buying my dog a new collar ONLY. Well imagine my surprise when poor college student me walked out of the store with a brand new pair of $600 tall boots! It all happened so fast, I can barely remember it... but somewhere along the line the sales girl mentioned how skinny my ankles look, but after that it is all a blur .

I just got my $300 worth of stuff from Adam's, quite happy

Moose got a new Nunn Finer figure eight with the clincher in black, and cob size, so finally something that fits him! It's a bit of an, erm, unusual fit, but it *does* fit and he looks quite nice. Now I'm off to hit every tack shop in the area for my sweet 16
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Ah vicarious shopping... it was fun to see what you bought and I didn't spend a penny!!!!! Thanks!!!