The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vet 1st...COTH 2nd

Yes, I'm waiting for the vet. Mare's hind legs swollen. Nothing has changed except for hay? Not new hay, but different batch (same feed store, same supplier, same kind).

Does not seem to be lame and does not seem to be in pain. I have cold hosed and soaked legs in buckets of cold water.

I think she needs to have her hocks injected. Could this be related to pain in hocks?

Hoary alyssum? Check her temperature.
    Click here before you buy.

No cuts, scrapes etc on the leg? Is it warm to the touch?

I agree...take her temp. WHen my horse had similar symptoms, vet (on the phone) asked me to take her temp first.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

horseshrink is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Thanks

Yes, I thought about that also. Checked hay and don't see any, but I know that doesn't mean there isn't any in it.

Did check temp and it's normal.

No cuts, scrapes, or scratches. Legs feel a little warm, but it is 100 degrees here today and everything feels warm.

Now I'm panicking and she just wants another carrot.

Default Stay calm

and carry on...hope everything turns out fine.

Definitely have the vet check her hay for hoary alyssum. We had a big outbreak of h.a. toxicity in horses all over Miami recently, and the first symptom is legs stocking up. Now we're all paranoid about our hay and going over it with fine-tooth combs. But the good news is that, if caught early, your horse should be just fine.

Okay, what the heck is hoary alyssum?? This is a complete first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Okay, what the heck is hoary alyssum?? This is a complete first for me.
    Me too

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Original Poster

Default UPDATE and my confusion also

I guess I was thinking of something else, but when I looked up "Hoary Alyssum," it was not what I was thinking. I was mis-remembering something else back in the recesses of my mind.

My son and I immediately went to the barn and tore apart a flake of hay and we THINK we found this weed. Compared it to many, many pictures.

Contacted the extension office (closed for the day) and will take it to them in the morning for identification.

Vet still out on a colic call, but I called him back to tell him I think this is what the problem is. He says he is tired of me coming up with weird things that he has only ever heard about or seen in vet school years and years ago. My horses come up with the strangest things for him!! He will stop by later tonight or first thing in the morning.

I just bought 20 bales of this hay yesterday, but before accusing the feed store, I want to positively identify the weed.

Anyway, mare is resting comfortably, albeit mad since I don't have any other hay for her tonight. Her temperature is normal/stable. Swelling is about the same, but no worse. No heat in feet.

I posted here a few weeks ago about the hoary alyssum in my area. The feed store was apparently investigating to find out exactly where th hay come from, but I have no idea what they came up with. But as I see you're in Florida, you could very well have the same hay. Is it Timothy/alfalfa? Please PM me if you want to know where this hay probably came from (it's a big place in the Tampa area and I know the feed store here that had the contaminated hay gets a lot of their hay from there).

As long as you caught it early, all you have to do is stop feeding the hay and your horse will be right as rain. My friends at another boarding barn had every single horse affected by the hoary alyssum, but all are fine (even the Cushings horse and the one who has foundered twice).

Good luck!

This happened to a few horses at my barn a couple of years ago after some new hay came in--my horse and a handful of others came in dull, stocked up, and feverish. I called my vet and he IMMEDIATELY identified it as hoary alyssum intoxication, before I'd gone beyond describing the above. Sure enough, the new bales were found to be contaminated, disposed of, and never a problem again. I gave my horse some bute and put him up in standing wraps--he had a mild case of laminites years ago after getting a high fever, so I aim to never let him run fevers if I can help it! He was A-OK the next morning. Hope your girl is fine tomorrow!

Also remember especially in the case of compressed bales that the weed might be chopped or ground into such a way that it is not identifiable. If they are symptomatic I'd just pull the current hay source and see if the symptoms resolve in a few days under veterinary care of course.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Original Poster

Default Again???

I know this thread is old, but mare came in tonight with both back legs stocked up with some heat, but no fever.

Two years ago, when I came here with these symptoms, I was sure it was hoary alyssum. I even found it in the hay and took a sample to my vet. He "glanced" and said no way. I'm no longer sure that was not the cause.

My mare would NEVER turn hay away and yet for the past couple of days, she's just been "meh" about hay. I have been attributing it to the 104-106 temps. It's just wicked hot!!

I had remembered starting this thread and came in to look up for info. Will go check hay for the weed.

Hay sources are pretty scarce in this area and I'm not convinced about the quality of the hay, the source, the age, etc. They tell me something different each time.

Turns out she doesn't do well on Bute. Would Equioxx be an ok substitute?

Will be more insistent at the extension office in the morning if I find anything strange in the hay.

I think Equioxx would be fine as a substitute for bute, but probably ask the vet.

Did vet ever get there the first time? Or was that a long distance comment?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Did vet ever get there the first time? Or was that a long distance comment?
    Yes, vet came out. DX'd with leg edema. No real cause could be determined. Cold hosing, Bute, and some extra turnout time were prescribed.

It did resolve on its own without worsening.

Looking at her stomping flies today and temperatures back up over 101 degrees. Will try fly boots to see if stomping may be adding to the problem. Opened new bales of hay from other side of feed room just in case.

Cellulitis?