The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommend a Nutrena feed???

The feed store that I LOVE (and is right on my way home from work), has suddenly gone out of business. This store was the only convenient place for me to buy Blue Seal Sentinel Senior. It looks like I will need to switch to a Nutrena product, since there is a Tractor Supply close to my house.

Can someone please recommend a similar feed from the Nutrena line? I have 2 geriatric horses, but they are both in good condition with excellent teeth for their ages. I feed good quality orchardgrass hay and I have plenty of grass in the spring and summer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have a Triple Crown distributor near you? I would highly recommend TC Senior over Nutrena.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The only Nutrena feed I have had good results with is the Lifestyles mare and foal. Its only 2% more protein than something like strategy, but is made with rice bran and it really helped keep weight on my horses when I found a bunch of it on sale once and replaced my strategy with it for a few weeks. I was shocked at the weight they gained so quickly. I know it says mare and foal but it works very well for my big ssh gelding that was hard to keep weight on. I use it still when I need more than my triple Crown 30% ration balancer.

Yes, there is a TC distributor in another town, but about 10 miles further. However, if that brand is significantly better, it may be worth the drive. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GallopHer View Post
    Yes, there is a TC distributor in another town, but about 10 miles further. However, if that brand is significantly better, it may be worth the drive. Thanks.

It is. And I would.
    -Jessica

Default Life Design Senior Dry

I have been very happy with this product. rice bran and beet pulp and flaxseed among other things.

My 15 year old OTTB gained about 100 lbs on it. I feed it with hay. I don't use any supplements and he looks great.

Here is some info:

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena/...nior/index.jsp
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have been feeding Nutrena Safe Choice for years and I must say I love it. My horses thrive on it. But 1st and formost, they are on pasture 24/7, hay fed in winter and really, with that, they need only a little feed. They are in very good weight, shinny coats, and have no issue with the feed what so ever. I feed it to my horse of all ages. I feed it to my aged gelding and when I had the young yearlings, I fed it to them as well. All doing very well on it.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

With the recent coupon for "buy 2 get 3" I purchased Nutrena's Triumph Complete Feed. I wanted Senior, but the store was out.

I was appalled to see huge hard chunks of extruded feed and knew my geriatric horses couldn't handle those. In fact, they were so hard my feed scoop broke just getting them out of the bag!

I soaked them in a bucket of water and the horses loved the feed.

WE feed several Nutrena products. Their senior feed is excellent, we recently started using the Triumph and did not have any problems with it as far as "chunkc", also have user safechoice for years and it is a good feed.

I also feed safe choice and like it alot. I have three hunters on it now and they all look great. Also, It's easy to soak and it's also good to feed with oil as it soaks it up!
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

For those of you who care, Safe Choice is not as low in NSC as you would think and Nutrena products are not a fixed feed formula. TC senior is a fixed formula.

I used to feed Safe Choice and Empower. I switched to TC Senior and, although the per bag cost is higher, I feed much less. And they LOVE it. It's a beet pulp based feed, high in fiber.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    For those of you who care, Safe Choice is not as low in NSC as you would think and Nutrena products are not a fixed feed formula. TC senior is a fixed formula.

I used to feed Safe Choice and Empower. I switched to TC Senior and, although the per bag cost is higher, I feed much less. And they LOVE it. It's a beet pulp based feed, high in fiber.
    Just to add numbers, a Cargill (i.e., Nutrena) rep just quoted me 18.75 NSC for SafeChoice.
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse