The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free lease in PA - Bratty pony and sweet mini

My husband has finally put his foot down and declared we have too many ponies! Neither pony is in any danger of going anywhere but we would consider a free lease to an exceptional home. We would like them to stay relatively close to the south central PA area so it's easier to keep tabs on them. May consider a home outside that area with impeccable references. Sorry for the long post but I want to be sure to cover all the details up front. I'll post a link to pics soon. I'll have to get them together in one place. In the meantime, feel free to email or pm me and I'll send them.

Lucky is a strawberry roan mini, approx 7 yrs old. She was the result of an impulsive road trip to a horse auction in NJ one night. She is rather awkwardly put together for a mini but is incredibly sweet and willing to do most anything. My daughter showed her at a few fun shows and in 4-H this past year and had a blast with her doing in-hand classes. My daughter and various other kids have hopped on her and she seems to be broke to ride at a minimum of lead line. None of the riders were really small enough to safely ride her so I can't say how she would do riding unsupervised but she seems to grasp the basic steering and stopping concept. She is supposedly broke to drive but when we tried to work with her in harness she seemed to be clueless. Very willing, but didn't have a clue what we wanted her to do. To be fair, I'm not an expert driver so it could be partially handler error. Excellent health and not really mare-ish. She currently lives out 24/7 in a dry lot minimal grass with another mare and gelding and is the bottom of the pack but still stands up for herself when needed.

Lacey is palomino welsh pony, 13 hands tall and approx 18 years young. She is a nice quiet pony but does need to be in a regular program. She is also quite a beauty and a great mover and jumper. My daughter has now outgrown her but did manage to rack up quite a collection of ribbons through the years. Lacey had a minor laminitis episode last year following a major abscess in her front foot. This was the first time she had been lame since we owned her. As a precaution she is now on a restricted diet and does require front shoes. She is 100% sound for w/t/c and small jumps (currently jumping around 2'). She has been bred and had one foal with her prior owner. She is out 24/7 with another mare and a gelding and is in the middle of the herd. She can be a hussy when in season but is not a boss mare.
    Last edited by litlhponies; Mar. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Pics of Lucky are here - http://www.litlh.com/lucky.htm

Pics of Lacey are on Facebook. Please let me know if the link does not work, I set the folder to public. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9445961&type=1 For those of you that can't access FB, I'm going to try to transfer some over to our website in the next day or two and will post the link when available.

Bump. Both ponies are still available. I thought I had a place for them but one person did not get back to me and another decided to buy instead of lease.

Oh my - Lacey is *cute*! Bump.

Bump. We have decided to keep Lucky and work on her driving this winter but Lacey is still available. Excellent companion or babysitter for foals. She can be ridden as does fine as long as she's kept tuned up.

*BUMP* for Lacey...

If I wasn't so far away Lacey's a cutie! another bump
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Bump - I haven't checked this in awhile. EquineImagined - I would consider outside the area for the right situation. Feel free to email or PM me.

Lacey is really not a bad pony. She just needs to be in the right program. My daughter started riding her when she was 6 and showed her from w/t flat classes to doing 2' courses.

Bump - I thought I had a lease home for Lacey but they have not followed through with shipping so she's still available. She's a great "aunt" for the babies too!

Lacey is too darling for words! She doesn't seem so bratty if a six-year old could handle her. Maybe someone would take her on a breeding lease if she has papers with good lines? She's absolutely adorable and seems to just pose for all of her standing pictures. I wish I had use for a pony, but my little champ of a Welsh is out on lease because I DON'T have any use lol.

Lacey is out on a trial lease. Thank you to everyone that inquired about her.