The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Connect Upgrades!

Enhancement to Thoroughbred Connect Announced by The Jockey Club

The Jockey Club announced today an enhancement to Thoroughbred Connect™, the organization’s online resource for rehoming Thoroughbreds at the conclusion of their racing or breeding careers.

Under this new feature, persons in possession of Thoroughbreds in need of aftercare can now list those horses publicly on www.thoroughbredconnect.com. Those willing to provide assistance for a Thoroughbred appearing on the list may request their contact information be sent automatically to the person in possession of the horse.

Thoroughbred Connect enables Registry customers to express their willingness to be contacted by people in possession of Thoroughbreds in the event the horses are in need of aftercare or assistance. Those interested in providing aftercare or assistance can attach their name and contact information to the electronic records of Thoroughbreds within The Jockey Club’s database using Thoroughbred Connect.

Since its introduction in May 2011, more than 830 Registry customers have signed up to use the service, and over 1,700 horses have been enrolled.

“We made this enhancement after hearing from a number of our customers who told us they’d like to see a list of horses in need of assistance, in order to expedite their placement into new homes,” said James L. Gagliano, president and chief operating officer of The Jockey Club. “We are extremely pleased with the overwhelmingly positive response to the service since its launch in May and we will continue to enhance the convenience of the service for our customers.”

Each horse listing includes a link to the equineline.com Free Auction Results Search for the horse so that an individual can view public sales results as an aid in researching the horse’s history. Links to a five-generation pedigree from equineline.com and to racing information from equibase.com are also provided.

To raise further awareness and use of the service, The Jockey Club has added the Thoroughbred Connect logo and website address on the back of the Certificate of Foal Registration.

Thanks for posting this. Glad to see The Jockey Club is more easily facilitating getting these horses into the care of appreciative homes.

Ok - this may be a stupid question...but are the horses listed on Thoroughbred Connect available for sale? Adoption? Free? Or does it depend on the individual horse? Also, what is aftercare? Is this basically a listing service for OTTBs?

Thanks.

I am a bit confused by the new section. I browsed through it quickly just to see if there was anyone I knew on there. I came across a foal out of one of my mares. The strange thing is that he has consistently been running competitively and is in for $10k on Friday. Not sure why he would be listed as needing a home?

Maybe they are not planning on running him next year? I dunno, it is weird but you could call and ask! Cause you KNOW you need MORE HORSES!!! 8-D
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

If I understand correctly if there is a horse that someone wants to rehome when that horse is finished racing, whenever that may be they put their info down so when the time comes they can be contacted. If that time never comes because the owners want to keep to breed or whatever then they just don't contact that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    If I understand correctly if there is a horse that someone wants to rehome when that horse is finished racing, whenever that may be they put their info down so when the time comes they can be contacted. If that time never comes because the owners want to keep to breed or whatever then they just don't contact that person.
    That's the section for people wanting to take a horse or help it (I have, for example, Lucky's half-sister on mine.) There's also the section for current owners to list horses who need placement or assistance, and they just expanded that so there is now a list of horses whose current connections want help rehoming where apparently no one has put them on their "want list." If a horse is listed on there, then the owners are saying they want to move him on.

I went to the link and never found a link to the actual horses. Do you have to register to see them?

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    I went to the link and never found a link to the actual horses. Do you have to register to see them?
    I think you do. It's free to register.

The upgrades are fantastic. For horses that need a home, it is possible to see an extended pedigree, race record, and auction history. How wonderful is that?

I think it's a pretty cool feature. I only saw one on there that I recognized (Mayan King--someone should really sign on to him!), but it will definitely keep an eye on it.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

As an owner, I was confused when listing mine as "horses I currently own" and then found them in the "horses needing assistance". I yanked all of them and just put the one or two who might be ready to move on up there, but if it means giving them away I wouldn't want to do that either. Its a bit confusing.

If you read the description under the Horses I Currently Own tab is says specifically this is horses who are in need of rehoming/assistance. So you don't just list them to say you own them, only if you want to move them on. And there doesn't seem to be anything that obligates people to give them away, or for that matter people willing to help a horse to take them no matter what shape they're in or price is being asked. It's just if you list a horse as needing to be rehomed, and someone has that on their watch list as willing to rehome it, that second person's contact information is sent to you and you can respond or not.

Like, I have She Sure Can Cope on there as a horse I would be willing to help. If whoever has her enters her into Thoroughbred Connect, it'll show up that I have her listed and they'll get my contact information. They don't have to contact me, I'm not obligated to buy her if they do and want $50k for her, but they know at least one person is interested enough to put her on there by name.

That's what I understand, too, danceronice. It's a feature that brings people who own a horse and are ready to find a new home for it -- whether they want to give it away or sell it -- together with people who have tagged that specific horse and want to help it or give it a home.

Seems as if this new feature will help owners get their horse's out there.
    Last edited by Bacchus; Sep. 29, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I just signed up and looked at the horses available, but it is difficult to know where they are currently located ? That's kind of a big question for me. I'm only interested in horses that are located in my area and most of them only show where they last raced, but if there is no recent activity you have NO idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nlevie View Post
    I just signed up and looked at the horses available, but it is difficult to know where they are currently located ? That's kind of a big question for me. I'm only interested in horses that are located in my area and most of them only show where they last raced, but if there is no recent activity you have NO idea ?
    It's not meant for browsing. It's for looking for a specific horse. All you can do is put the horse on your list, and it'll forward your information to the horse's owner. They don't have any obligation to contact you, even.