The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    He's beauitful and looks like he could be my Oscar's brother! I ALMOST names Oscar Oliver, but hubby did not like it.

Here's Oscar
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...b52eff9&type=1

Congrats on such a cool cat. I like the name Steve too - someone on COTH has a cat named "Steve from Accounting" (tht is who gave them the cat) - my favorite cat neme ever! What's the name of the hardware store - Ace? That would "suit" the one-eye and the hardware connection and is a cool name!
    VERY cute kitty!!! I did get this kitty from Ace Hardware
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

love him he is adorable

my name suggestion is Morgan, for Captain Morgan ofcourse but then again my pets are all named from the ABC store, Whiskey (now gone), Stoli and Remy (Remy Martin)

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Wasn't Captain Bligh a one eyed pirate?

Or name him after the "Tool time" guy since you got him from a hardware store?

Or since he's lanky...Slim Shady?
    No, Captain Bligh was captain of HMS Bounty (and badly maligned by movie depictions.) You know, I don't know of any famous real pirates who had one eye....

Hee, Tim Taylor from Home Improvement?

I had a one-eyed goldfish named One-Eyed Jack...our one-eyed cat was K2 (Kitty 2. He was the second barn cat we got. My parents don't really name cats, they label them. Kitty, Tom, Fuzzy, Spooky, Thursday, Friday, etc. I admit, i'm following hte pattern. Porchcat is probably gonna be porchcat.)

It seems that Oliver has charmed Mr DDK. Yesterday was nice and sunny so I had DD put Oliver in his cage and let him sit outside to get familiar with the farm. When I came home a couple hours later Oliver was in the shop with Mr. DDK This is the husband that did not really want me to get another cat but gave in when I said that he would be a barn cat. DD mentioned last night that this was the exact way that Hailey, the supposed to be barn cat became an indoor kitty

Mr. DDK wants to call him Lucky........I don't really care for that name but maybe I should let him name him since they seemed to have bonded
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Poor Oliver has now come down with an upper respitory infection. I have a call into the vet because I am a little concerned because he just had his eye removed a month ago. I don't want it to turn into something more serious. The poor guy just can't seem to catch a break
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Oh no! Hope it can be cleared up quickly with antibiotics. Poor guy.

Good thoughts headed your way from PA.

Jingles for Oliver.

Not surprised, given his situation, but most likely something that will be easily remedied. Jingles!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    Poor Oliver has now come down with an upper respitory infection. I have a call into the vet because I am a little concerned because he just had his eye removed a month ago. I don't want it to turn into something more serious. The poor guy just can't seem to catch a break
    He did catch a break - he caught you. Good luck with him!

StG

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for Oliver and for you. Hoping for a quick return to health.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Looks like you've picked a name for him, but just to add, my one-eyed female cat is Tuerta, the feminine form of Tuerto, which translates into one-eyed.

My son was taking Spanish in school and he named her.

Good news~ it seems the Oliver's URI was very mild and he seems over it.

He seems to have moved from the barn to the shop permanently now and won't be a barn cat after all He got to go out for the first time yesterday and had great fun exploring. We couldn't find him for a short time and realized that he had made his way to the barn and found my barn cat Molly. Lets just say that it didn't go well Hopefully they will eventually work it out. The plan is to let him out during the day and lock him in the shop at night.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

glad to hear he is doing better, hopefully he and Molly will work things out

Glad it was a simple fix for your guy.

Several years ago one of our indoor/outdoor kitties had an eye removed due to an injury. The day after surgery he was fussing to go outside so I took out for a few minutes. He trotted into the pasture and 10 minutes later returned with a mouse! He never missed a beat.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...52639572fWOdNl

Oliver has been doing great as a shop cat. Everyone loves him and his antics However the hellion has gone and hurt himself and has a HUGE foot. He is off to the vet today to have it checked out but the big guy could use some jingles!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Emily Dickinson turned up at breakfast a few years ago three-legged lame and with a big foot. Turned out she had an abscess, probably originally bitten by something. Irrigation and debridement up the length of the leg, antibiotics shot, and she was fine, although she did have 1/4 of a poodle cut until the fur on that one shaved leg grew back out. But she was fine and never seemed bothered with it after getting back from the vet.

Best wishes for Oliver.

Oh yeah, fun times, soaking a cat's foot. Years ago my Earl (a big long cat with the tiniest paws EVER) got in a fight with his brother Calvin, and presented the next day with a humongous MITT. Wound cleaned/pus expressed at the vet, antibiotics, and SOAKING. Earl was the mellowest cat I've ever owned and it was still a wet messy undertaking! Good luck with Mr. Oliver!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

EEWWWW I hope it isn't that He has no heat or a wound that I can find it is just BIG. Of course he is milking it and Mr. DDK is carrying him around the shop from cat bed to cat bed so he can be were the guys are working at so he isn't lonely

No telling what it could be. Oliver has absolutely NO self preservation He fights with all cats and his favorite hobby is running through the blackberries. It is very easy to see how he lost an eye. Mr. DDK was joking about how Oliver would look pretty funny with one eye and only three legs
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

he's a guy's cat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Cute cat- Hope you all have a bright and long future together.

I have a one-eyed cat. She was an orphaned stray found UNDER a hardware store. We used to call her "One-eye" but my daughter thought that wasn't a good name. She is a very small cat, about the size of a six month old kitten, but she is now seven years old. Her name is Mini Minou.

MY daughter has a cat that has been blind since birth. He was also a resourced kitten and had a very severe eye infection in both eyes. When he was found at the estimated age of just five days old, his eyes were so swollen, she called him ET. The vet was unable to save either eye. He is now eight and weighs about 12 pounds. He can get around just fine and can even jump on chairs, the bed, the table and the kitchen counter!

He chases bugs- we think he can hear them. He loves to play with and Chase any cat toy that makes noise.

He gets around the house just fine, and you would never know he is blind until he turns to face you. He is a very sweet big black blind cat.