The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Research Project

Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan. I am a sociology graduate student at Umass, Amherst. I am currently conducting interview-based research with committed horse riders and trainers. In a nutshell, I am mostly interested in what the various riding disciplines think of each other. Specifically, how do horse trainers and riders evaluate the various riding disciplines by distinguishing acceptable from controversial training and practices, and natural from unnatural training and practices? Sometimes, the differences between these distinctions are obvious, but other times they are much more complicated and muddled. I am also interested in what makes some riding disciplines more respected than others.

Since I live in the Amherst, MA area, I could meet those of you who live in or are visiting Western Mass at a place and time of your choosing. Or if anyone prefers, we could talk on the phone. The interview should take around an hour.

If you are interested, please email me at rfturner@soc.umass.edu

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Ryan

I wish you luck in your research, there are lots of opinions out there. Doing a simple search just in these boards alone will give you plenty of insight.

good luck!!!

Default Equine Affaire

You are going to have lots of horse lovers at Equine Affaire in November at Eastern States Exposition....just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I wish you luck in your research, there are lots of opinions out there. Doing a simple search just in these boards alone will give you plenty of insight.

good luck!!!
    insight? or confusion?

heh. Good luck Ryan Someone on here has the signature that goes something like: "the horse world. Two people, three opinions" and that's about the truth.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.