The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Newbie who can't handle the pressure of breeding/wondering/waiting..

I'm driving myself NUTS!

So, broodmare was last bred May 30th. Confirmed in foal at 2 weeks and 40ish days.
    I'm having my vet come in two weeks to help me with stuff--and to confirm preggers one last time.

I picked her (Swain) up this weekend. She was weaned and taken away from her family all at the same time. I feel sooooo bad. She had a nice life at her last farm.

She's not settling in so great at my house.
    She's been pretty quiet but she won't eat. (It's been Sat PM to Mon AM)
    She stayed next to the donkey Sat night and then went out with him in the back field Sunday afternoon. But she really wanted to be with our two horses.

Well, I have my one rec HT this weekend with our gelding so I didn't really want to let him to meet her just yet.
    So I put our little QH mare out with Swain and donkey. QH mare chased Swain a bit (but never broke from trot) so we brought Swain back up to the barn and put her next to gelding for the night (stall with good sized run).
    They love each other. yay!

But she's still not eating much.
    She is drinking well.
    She's eaten 1 or 1.5 scoops of her feed since she's arrived and she's supposed to get 4 scoops a day.
    She grazed, and she'll eat some alfalfa and costal but she's not interested in her feed. She's never been fed treats so she looks at me crooked when I try to shove peppermints in her mouth.
    I figured I'd pick up some sweet feed on the way home from work today.

But I'm freaked out everytime she looks unsettled.
    I'm freaked out when she trots.
    I'm freaked out because she won't eat.
    I can't handle life with horses.
    My brain is melting.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a gross pile of mush like Pizza-The-Hut by the end of the day.

sigh...

on the other hand--she's REALLY amazing!! Very big and huntery, VERY uphill. I think I may look into breeding her to Cabalito next time!

I feel crazy.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Perhaps try some ulcergard or gastrogard? The stress of weaning and hauling could easily cause ulcers and a hallmatk sign is a horse that will eat forage, but not concentrates. She could just need more time, too
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Always a good idea when there are major changes in their lives.

I believe she is okay as long as she is drinking well, staying hydrated, and getting some good quality hay and grass. I have my young horses, even the 4 mo. foal who eats w/ mom still on some Ultium Growth. The Ulcerguard is the best suggestion. Mine go on it at weaning time, regardless of other stresses. Keep an eye of her hydration level and quality of manure. Pinch her neck and make sure the skin doesn't stay pinched when you let go - a sign of dehydration which you probably already know.

Another thing to consider - normally when you wean you don't want the mare to get mastitis so I take my mares off grain completly (they might get a handful at feeding time just so they don't think they are forgotten) for a few days and just give plenty of hay/water. The ulcer meds are an excellent suggestion. Once you are past 45 days or so you can generally breathe easy (which I think you are?) as it isn't as easy to slip. If she is a proven broodie (and it sounds like she has had at least one foal) I wouldn't stress too much - she may just know better than you what to do. As long as she is keeping up her weight and she is happy hanging out with the gelding don't worry too much.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Another thing to consider - normally when you wean you don't want the mare to get mastitis so I take my mares off grain completly (they might get a handful at feeding time just so they don't think they are forgotten) for a few days and just give plenty of hay/water. The ulcer meds are an excellent suggestion. Once you are past 45 days or so you can generally breathe easy (which I think you are?) as it isn't as easy to slip. If she is a proven broodie (and it sounds like she has had at least one foal) I wouldn't stress too much - she may just know better than you what to do. As long as she is keeping up her weight and she is happy hanging out with the gelding don't worry too much.
    Yes, she has had 6 lovely kiddos.
    And yes, she's drinking really well.

I'll try to dig up a feed store that has ulcergard ASAP. That's going to be tough.

I think she's lost a little bit of weight but she still looks incredible. Balanced and no ribs showing.

thanks everyone.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Then I wouldn't stress tooooooo much! (although I know that is easier said than done LOL). Just make sure that she has her fill of hay/grass I personally have used a cheaper version of the ulcerguard (U Guard) in both powder and pellet as a preventative type thing with good success and it is easier to fine (even TSC has it)... or order from Jeffers.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!