The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I know it's early but...Christmas gift for farrier?

My farrier just left from doing my horse's hooves/shoes and it got me thinking about what I should get him as a Christmas present. He has been our farrier for 8 years and my aunt's for much longer, and has always been wonderful with the horses, shows up early or on time, and never ever cancels. Horses have always stayed sound and I think my favorite thing about him is how he's been with my rescue Arab mare for the past four years. She's had to be sedated up until 2 visits ago because of kicking with her hind legs (and she would STILL try to kick him) but he was always very patient and would go out of his way to desensitize her and get her used to him. She is now an angel for him to get her hooves trimmed. So, I was thinking I could get him this:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/person...ame-4111p.aspx

I thought I could have my dad take a picture of my farrier trimming my mare's hind legs and tell him that I just want one as proof of how good she's gotten, and then frame it and have the frame personalized. Maybe put *farrier's name* & *mare's name* at the top, and something saying how great of a farrier he is at the bottom? I don't know- any suggestions? Are there any other good gifts you'd give your farrier?

Default Great idea

I think your idea is great. Very thoughtful.

My farrier would be happy with some of your namesake, OP
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Give him the photo, he can get it framed or put in his album as he prefers. Have to say living with a Farrier, our walls are FULL, no place to put a customer's horse picture.

Get him/her a gift card for a meal, store, fuel that they could use at their leisure.

1 members found this post helpful.

I always give mine a gift card to a local nice restaurant - enough on the card to take his wife and have a few drinks also. He seems to like that.

Mine has a serious sweet tooth, and I always give him this mix I make every year, (chex mix, coconut, m&m's, cashews with a sweet sauce) and he seems to like it. One year I gave him a gift card, and he looked disappointed and said, "what, no mix?" So that's what I do for him and for my vet and his staff.

I do boring old starbucks gift cards and/or bottle of wine. Depends on how naughty my horse has been in the last few farrier appts. If he's been bad, then there's usually a bottle of wine from horse included!

I think the photo is very thoughtful, but I'm not sure it's really ummm.. well, i'm sure he'd rather you just gave him the cash from it or a gift card or something. I can't speak for all farriers, but the ones I know, don't go around hanging there clients photos in the home.

The best gift you can give your farrier is to pay your bill before he/she leaves the farm, tip them and give a good reference.

I doubt he will treasure a picture of your horse. Kind of reminds me of the poor teachers who get all the useless gifts at the holidays when all they really probably want is a bottle of wine to help forget the evil children......

Money for gas. They always like it!

Quote Originally Posted by WB Mom View Post
    Money for gas. They always like it!
    Yes. Money is never in bad taste. If every horse (or every owner) gave his farrier cash, then farrier can buy gas,, pay bills, go on vacation, etc. Wait, I hate it when my farrier goes on vacation!

My horses always give a gift of cash.

If you want to give your farrier something special to remember your horse by, then do that also. But cash is best.

Cloudy sent my friend Lucy's husband back to Iraq with one of his alum shoes 5 years ago (for good luck). When he sent us a picture back with the shoe in his body armor, our farrier asked if he could have the picture. We gave it to him. But not as a Christmas present.

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    I think the photo is very thoughtful, but I'm not sure it's really ummm.. well, i'm sure he'd rather you just gave him the cash from it or a gift card or something. I can't speak for all farriers, but the ones I know, don't go around hanging there clients photos in the home.
    Our farrier is a hunter. I'm sure he would have a use for Cloudy's photo......on his target.

Quote Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
    Mine has a serious sweet tooth, and I always give him this mix I make every year, (chex mix, coconut, m&m's, cashews with a sweet sauce) and he seems to like it. One year I gave him a gift card, and he looked disappointed and said, "what, no mix?" So that's what I do for him and for my vet and his staff.
    I made Saddleup's christmas mix for my farrier, he loved it. I also gave him Smartwool socks

Last year I gave my trimmer Smartwool socks. I got my idea for this year from a thread on here: http://www.mechanix.com/automotive/the-original-glove.

My farrier got his Christmas gift early this year. I gave him my old, 2-horse bumper pull trailer.

It ain't pretty but it's safe, and the lights and brakes work. I even threw in the hitch ball.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.