The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 96 of 474 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 9468

PH: Well, he's gotta start somewhere. But it sounds like you did pretty good, all things considered.

==

-- Cleaned Oliver's sheath today, using a sock and KY. And it worked very, very well. I threw the lead rope over my shoulder and let him graze while I did it. H dropped and stayed dropped the entire time. Even when I took him to the washrack to hose everything out. Never once did he pick up a leg or do anything but graze. So, that's one less thing I have to worry about paying the vet for.

-- I also got video of him walking and doing a little trotting in the round pen to show his left rear leg and what it's been doing. We had just started when I shot this, so there's incessant tongue clicking from me, and him looking like he'd rather be eating his breakfast. So, you may want to mute the video.

http://youtu.be/AYq7hXVEXdg

Oh, and the vet's coming out on Thursday to do vaccinations anyway, so she's going to look at him then.
    The dude abides ...

Opus, you're really getting somewhere! Oh, boy - sheath cleaning - haven't done that in decades! But from the looks of B, I don't think he has too much of a problem there. My old horse, Schroeder, constantly had that as an issue.
    E-m-b-a-r-a-s-s-i-n-g!

Can see that Oliver does pick up that L hind a bit higher even at the walk. Hope it's something that is not too tough to deal with.

PH - Congrats on getting through, and for the solid ribbons! Heck, at least it's a start! Good for you!

Still chasing farriers today. Then my BO enthusiastically points to the calendar with a hunter pace on it in Sept. I haven't ridden in 2 weeks waiting on the feet, we haven't (but almost!) gotten into a "normal" (without bucking!) canter, B's a wildman in the pastures (ex turf sprinter), but hey, one can dream!!

Oh, and B magically turned into a Leopard App yesterday. He rolled in the dirt, then while standing so stoically in his paddock, it lightly started to rain. So picture a bay horse, with a little summer bleached tinge, then getting covered in tan dust, with a sprinking of rain drops scattered across.
    Still waiting on my camera to come back from the manufacturer or I could have had the proof!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Leopard app- haha! I know that feeling....having a grey and a paint with a lot of white...

And the only reason I made it through all my classes was with the help of adult beverages ]My barn is klassy!

I guess today was payback for the times I didn't go to the barn because the forecast said rain and it didn't rain. Did go out there tonight. Looked very unpromising, started thundering in the distance as we were tacking up, first rain drops when we went outside to mount up. Decided to go back into the barn to see what it did. Skies opened up and poured. When there was a break in the rain, we practially rain the horses out to turnout and good thing as the lightining started about 10 minutes after that. Oh well, at least I got feet painted and more fly spray applied.

PH it sounds like the show went really well. Awesome on the eq!

Opus at the risk of sounding dense what do you do with the sock? I did sheaths for the first time last month too but i just used a glove and excalibur. When I looked at the video it reminded me of one of the horses at our barn. Let us know what the vet says.

CVPeg the whole farrier thing sounds so frustrating. Good luck, hope it works itself out soon enough.

Spacytracy any luck with the pony search?

Well just back from two weeks of really lousy horseshows. My son only made it around one full jumper course. First time jumping on grass, great big ring. I think he and his horse, who really is a hunter, were both pretty freaked out (although neither of them will admit it). My daughter had her first venture into small pony world and lets just say it was not a success. She went back to short stirrup the next week. She rode really well but didn't place well. She did get some pink and purple ribbons though which made her happy (the beauty of being 9). My first show day was rained out. Second day went ok, I got a 4th and an 8th over fences, didn't place on the flat but that's not unusual. The next week I did one of those less than stellar moves. I'll spare you the gorey details but pretty much guaranteed I won't be lunging without gloves again any time soon. I decided to call it a day, cut my losses, or whatever cliche you'd like to select, scratched and went home to bed. There's always another horseshow.

Hope everyone is survivimg the horrible weather. We alternate between ridiculous heat and humidity, and thunderstorms. Not great for riding or my frame of mind!!

Wow. Sounds like everyone's having a so-so/mediocre time at the moment.

Sorry to hear about the weather, iechris. My timing has been horrible this summer. Rain, work. Then I finally take a sunny week off from work and Oliver comes up a bit off.

HazelG, I slip the sock over my hand like it's a sock puppet and that helps take off the crud a little better. It's not too abrasive, but it seems to catch/trap it all better than just my hand. And then when the sock got overly dirty, I just used my hands. Ick, I know. But I'm glad I did, because inside the sheath, I could actually feel the grit and grime. Given that this was my first time, I wasn't sure what to expect. In the future, I may don gloves, but after washing my hands twice, there was no smell. Even during it, the only thing I could smell was KY.

And yeah, my trainer made fun of me for having not only KY, but a sock as well.
    The dude abides ...

Hi, everyone.

Bumknees: thanks so much for the pictures! You look good, and it's obvious that you and Toby are enjoying your visit!

iechris, so sorry about the weather. Bummer. I hope you get some good rides in soon. I sympathize about planting the shrubs--I have been doing a lot of yard work as well--pulling out overgrown shrubs and digging out the roots. Nothing wears you out like yard work in 95-degree weather with high humidity.

Tarheel, so sorry to hear about your mom's cat. It's so hard to lose a faithful friend. On the bright side, congrats on the new puppy! I'll bet you are looking forward to getting him home. Maybe by that time Mom will be ready for a new kitty.

CVPeg--so sorry to hear about your shoeing woes. Are B's feet any better? Sure hope you get to go to the hunter pace in Sept.--that is something I would love to do.

Jaslyn, hope the new stirrups continue to help!

Hazel, what can I say? Sorry the show was not satisfying, but at least your son knows what he needs to work on now. It sounds as though your horse pulled away while being lunged and you tore your hands--is that right? Ow!! I had a green horse pull away from me last week, and I stupidly tried to hold onto the lead rope. I had horrible blisters the rest of the week.

PH, you know what you need to work on now too, right? Good luck. I am confident that you and your coach will be able to straighten Oliver out regarding listening to you!

Opus, it sounds as though you went about sheath cleaning in a very intelligent way. I had a gelding only once (Bally back in 1979), and I used to smear him with Vaseline, wait awhile, then wash him with soap and water. I used my bare hands. He used to let me stick the hose right up into his sheath to rinse--how's that for a trusting horse?

I agree that Oliver looks off, and what he's doing with his hind leg is a bit peculiar. I'm eager to know what the vet says.

Anyone willing to give some advice?

I've been looking to get a second, not so green, horse for my 12 year old daughter. Found a great match for her confidence level, and all around great fit. Problem? He came up 3/4 out of 5 lame on both back legs. We've had him on trial now for 4 days, didn't seem to have any issues, but during the exam he came up lame. The seller is willing to "sell" him to me for pennies. Is it worth getting him and probably getting a couple years out of him? Or should I cut my losses? He is seriously the perfect fit in every other way.

What do you want to do with the horse? How well does your daughter ride? Did you do x-rays ? What has the horse been doing? Has he been a pasture ornament or showing all season?

If your daughter is just learning and not likely to be jumping that's one thing. If she wants to show A level shows and jump 3 foot courses thats another.

Be careful. It's not the perfect horse if it's lame and she can't ride it. It's not cheap if it costs you thousands in vet bills, chiropractor, adequan, and pre-teen heartache. I've done both. Bought my son's horse when he couldn't actually walk out of his stall. (i think the seller thought I was nuts). X-rays were clear, fantastic farrier and chiro, and he hasn't been lame a day since in almost 2 years and regularly jumps 3 foot courses. Vetted a horse I loved, flexed badly left front, looked at the vet's face and sent it back. It really is all relative but you can spend WAY more money on an "inexpensive" horse with a problem than if you spent more upfront. Ask why the seller will part with him for pennies, maybe they know something is wrong and want it off their vet bill.

Good luck. Don't let the kid fall in love with the horse til you find out why it is flexing positive.

I guess more info would be good.

He's been a lesson horse for used for jumping for the past two years with a BNT, and was a 3' jumper for a 2 years before that, and a H.U.S on the breed circuit (he's a paint) before that.

I spoke to someone to used to work for the BNT until recently and she said he hadn't had any history of lameness while at the barn.

While with BNT he's been doing jumping lessons 5 days a week. He would be used as a short stirrup/long stirrup county level horse and jumped lightly 2-3 days a week.

We didn't do x-rays, because he tested so badly during flexion it didn't seem worth it. Vet did say he believed it was above the hoof, and below the stifle (narrows it does right?).

I think I might as well go for it, if I can get just a year or two out of him he will be worth it. I'll keep you guys updated how the x-rays go.

I've heard of many horses who flex positive but "in real life" cope just fine with proper care, so long as they aren't doing a huge amount of work. I would get x-rays and see, personally.

So someone came out this morning to look at my gelding for sale. She liked his looks and personality, but decided he wasn't a good fit for what she needs. Sigh.

On a good note, I had the BEST ride on Oliver this morning. He was so into jumping today that he was actually pissed off when I told him we were done - he wanted to canter another line of jumps!

Got in a short, all walk ride this morning before work, but did have a good talk with my trainer. The school year will start in September, so she is figuring out what lesson horses will be doing what (we have an ISHA team at the barn). I've been part-leasing the "Cadillac" her best 3"+ school horse. Currently we are jumping cross rails. So... my friend at the barn is going to take over the Cadillac and actually jump him over some real stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be reunited with my old friend the "Schoolmaster", a true horse among horses! I've previously part-leased him He's an ex High A/O jumper, 17 hands of chestnut TB. Can be ever so quiet and forgiving at low levels, I learned to canter riding him. The more you do the more he expects from you. He will definitely be tuning ME up! I dearly love him, so riding him again will be fun. I'm also going to get to ride some of the other school horses.

And... I can ride the PONEH! I didn't even know we had one until recently and he is very cute. I'm going to ride him in September to celebrate 6 months on my diet.

I'm back kind of stuck at a riding plateau, not riding as much as I'd really like with either high heat or rain. It is looking dismal for our lesson tomorrow.

Just a pop-in-post for now.

Vet looked at Oliver. Had me walk him and trot him and all that. Trainer said he's getting better. Vet said to put him back in light work, and if it doesn't heal/gets worse, to give her a call and we'll go from there. She mentioned it could just be he got kicked out in the pasture (bottom of the pecking order). Or maybe arthritis, given his age. When she went to give him his vaccines, one side of his chest was really swollen, complete with a little kick/hoof mark.

So, hopefully it's just a minor pasture thing. We'll see how he looks when I go back out on Monday.
    The dude abides ...

Hi all. I need to go through the past couple of days to catch up!

As for the pony search, I had a long talk with my trainer, and she thought it best to put it on hold until my DD is a little older. Then, the same day, I got a response from a previously sent email in regards to a pony. The photo was a bit shocking in regards to his weight. So although I have taken a step back in terms of searching, I'd take this pony to upgrade him. I have not heard from the seller, so I don't really think I can do much more.

Finally got a lesson, after vacation, horse shows (trainer), rain, lightining, 100F+ weather and all that! Started out on the horse I've been leasing, then switched with my friend to the horse she has been leasing, a 6 year old mare. Sweetie mare is VERY quiet. Had a minute of being the lady who can't get her warmblood to walk! Got her going and cruised around the ring at a trot getting used to riding a completely different type of horse. I'm going to get to ride her a bit.

Did okay considering I haven't ridden much lately. Also visited with the schoolmaster out in his field. Tried to give him some pats but he was pissed I didn't bring cookies! I'll ride and groom him Sunday. Thinking of going out to the barn early today to pull his mane.

Default I jumped 2 foot!

My horse is still in training. He never learned to put his head down and use his back muscles. He is 12, that would seem to me like waiting until you are 50 to start taking riding lessons. Wait - that was me. Never mind.

Anyway, Trainer does a ride on him yesterday. He doesn't think. He doesn't look at the flowers and butterflies; he doesn't plot new and creative ways to get out of work - he just doesn't think. And much like a 2 year old kid, when asked to do something, his first answer is always "no". If made to proceed, i.e. trainer fiddling with reins to get him to relax and drop his head, he chews the bit, swishes his tail and then picks up his irritating trot - the one that goes really fast with what feels like a 6 inch stride. But, progress was made and that's important.

Meanwhile, I am riding the qh lesson mare. She only has one rule, and she means it - do not bang me in the face. If you do, I will throw my head down and launch you. Period.

So we are working on me, posting trot, with and without stirrups, canter departs, etc. Then we start playing with some jumping - x rails. Mare is a total trouper!

The girl I was riding with asked me if I was going to jump the 2' vertical. Um, no. Well, the other girl that rides mare did it. Throw down! So we jump at the trot - we get over, I don't bang her in the mouth, but it's an effort for her.

We do it again - better.

The third time, I got the clue - need a bit more pace to get over nicely.

So, I ask for more pace and we just flew over it pretty as you please, landed and got the softest canter.

Then, I went and did the x rail at one end of the arena, cantered away, got my nice pace trot back and kept going over the vertical again.

And managed not to have a heat stroke!
    And nothing bad happened!

Way to go Jaslyn!! That's awesome! Good for you!!!

Trainer says my daughter needs to do more posting trot no stirrups work. She hates it (go figure). So in an attempt to encourage her to do it I challenged her to a "mother-daughter no stirrups duel". Best 2 out of 3. First person to sit, walk or stop loses the round. Loser had to clean winner's tack for 3 rides. She won. Big surprise. Thought I was pretty darn smart appealing to her competitive side to make her do what the trainer wanted her to. Well, all that smugness wore off pretty darn quick this morning when I got up and tried to walk . I guess I need a bit more no stirrups work myself.

I feel for you Hazel - my thighs doth burn!
    And nothing bad happened!

I'm almost afraid to put this out there (break to knock on wood) but things have been good with the monster Princess lately. Haven't had a duck out in a month I think? Last Wednesday we actually did a 2', 8 jump course. When I finished I felt like I had just won a gold medal. Whew! She's making her green rider debut next weekend with a teen from the barn who volunteered herself. I am a little worried Princess is going to have a meltdown when she sees the flowers (which is why the teen is riding her).

DD new horse has settled in nicely, vet is coming back out next Friday so we can know for sure what caused the lameness during the vet check. Hoping for something that is easily maintained.

Way to go Jaslyn!! Putting the two jumps together is even better than just doing the vertical! And today was a nasty day for riding too, so humid at least where I am.

I think I might have gotten a few "tough" points at the barn today for getting the schoolmaster out and being the first person to climb on his back in oh... five months. He tried all of his favorite tricks: bulging, trying to snatch the reins out of my hands, trying to rub me off on the rails, but I'm stronger now than last time I rode him, so I was able to deflect what he threw at me. First time I asked for the trot he felt so off behind I thought oh no, he really isn't going to be able to come back this time. But, everyone said walk him more and so I did, throwing in lots of serpentines and circles and going about 10 more minutes. Asked for the trot again and got a nice trot and... could barely ride the horse! So different from the horse I've been riding, I was really struggling.

Finally at the end I was getting MY act together and being pretty quiet and he was going around nicely. We had spa day complete with mane pulling and I ended up spending 4 hours at the barn. I'm planning on riding him again tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll remember how to ride him more then.