The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 93 of 342 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 6826

We DID have our lesson last night, in 95F heat. I remembered to bring drinks down to the arena and took some drink breaks and some walk breaks. When it is really hot our trainer has us warm up with a lot of flat work at the trot. We did leg yields and then turn on the haunches and turn on the forehand. I don't think I've done those in over a year but horsie was definitely the Cadillac last night and we did well. Love a made horse!

I haven't had a lesson in a few weeks, so we went back to cantering in to a line with a crossrail on the out. I ended up adding in to the line each time but had good corners and kept going (both of the people in the lesson have a habit of stopping where we shouldn't). I was getting pretty tired the last time through and added in two and made a total mess of it, but got good corners.

I also had my trainer look at the sitting trot I've been trying without stirrups and she thought it looked pretty good, just need to really work on sitting on my hip bones. But, overall she was pleased with how I'm doing after two weeks off at the start of the month.

Plan for the heat this weekend is to stay away today, ride early on Saturday and then Sunday the barn doesn't open until 1 PM so we are just going to have spa day for the horses. Most importantly, my Smartpak order came so I didn't run out of hoof oil or Paddock Cakes!

Dewey Holey moley look at you! That picture is amazing! A picture of me in 1979 (not that they exist any more I don't think) would not be anywhere near that height or that professional!!

And the picture of Sky is beautiful. I agree, definitely seahorse.

Bumknees you sound so much better. Glad you get to see your horse today and yes of course he will know you.

Saw some pictures of myself riding today, which is rare because its usually me behind the camera taking pictures of my kids. Quite an enlightening experience. Amazing how well the horse can jump with absolutely no release at all. I really must work on that, right up there after not leaning in on the turn and not pulling on my left rein all the time. Sigh.....

Thanks, Hazel. That 1979 pic brings back such happy memories. That is the only time in my life when I was fortunate enough to ride a horse who jumped like a deer and would just motor around a cross-country course. And you know what? In the pic of Sky that I just posted, the saddle and bridle (with different noseband and reins) are the same as the ones in the pic from 1979. I also still have and wear the boots.

Now let's see a picture of you and your kids with all the horses!

Ok Dewey that's amazing that it's the same saddle and bridle!!!

I would love to be able to show you pictures. Unfortunately I am a dinosaur, I have no facebook and I really have no clue how to download or upload or whatever you call it. I only just got a digital camera a year or two ago (pathetic, I know). If someone were to tell me how to do it I could try but you'd have to be pretty basic! I do really like seeing all your pictures though and I'm always really excited when someone posts one!

I understand. I don't have a Facebook account, either. I just got my first digital camera earlier this summer.

My advice is to open a photobucket account (it's free) and post your pictures there. If you can download pics from your camera to your computer, you can do it. Then, when you get the pics on photobucket, you can right-click on the pic you want to share and see several options. Pick "Copy direct link" and then just paste the link here so we can all see it!

You can set up your albums on photobucket so they are public, private, or password-protected--whatever you want.

One of my projects this summer is scanning old photos from the pre-digital age and putting them on photobucket. It's fun, and I get to share and enjoy them all over again.

Tarheel, I thought of you recently when my dog ate a sponge! I had left a bowl of neatsfoot oil unattended during my huge tack-cleaning project, and my dog finished off the oil, including the sponge that was in it!

This is a dog who during his career has eaten gloves, underwear, crayons, nylon knee-highs, and a pair of slippers, so I should have been more cautious. However, today I found the sponge on the carpet, so thank goodness it came back up.

Happy Saturday All!!

Gotta love my barn mates - we had horses in, fed, hayed, watered, barn cleaned and rides done by 11:45 this morning!

Wouldn't you know - about the time I get my hips a-swangin at the posting trot, I get so excited I relax my leg - mare stops! But I am getting there.

Also cantered her both directions this morning - am getting my non-bouncing canter seat back!!
    And nothing bad happened!

Quote Originally Posted by HazelG View Post
    How are the Olivers?
    As far as I know, my Oliver's doing well. I haven't seen him in a week. Debby did us in on Monday, then Thursday I had to be at work early, so I didn't see him then.

On the plus side, the other student who was riding him before is still riding him in her lessons and she rides 1-2x a week. She loves him to pieces and she's the same riding level I am, so it made sense to continue letting her ride him. (And my trainer cut me a deal on his sales price.)

Especially since the heat and work will probably keep me from riding him as much as I'd like to the next few weeks.

She's so cute with him. She has her own colors for him, a matching ear bonnet and saddle pad, halter and lead, etc. She also may possibly be half leasing him in the fall, when it cools off.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminOTTB View Post
    How is everyone dealing with the heat? We're supposed to hit 103 on Thursday ...
    Eh. We've been expecting it down here. Truth be told, it's been rather mild this summer along the Ga.-Fla. line. Last year we hit 100+ by the second week of June, so it's been in the back of our minds.

I'm DYING to take another lesson so my trainer can video me riding. All this time and I never once thought to have her tape me so I could see what I was doing. It's also going to be about 80 degrees with unbearable humidity by the time we get going at 9:00 or 10:00 a.m. on Monday, so a 'spa' day (as someone said earlier) maybe in the works instead. Especially as the temps are supposed to go down to 91 or 92 by Thursday.

I have water and Gatorade purchased, I'm stocked up on bug spray and sunblock and I've broken out some small soft, freezable gel packs to use inside my helmet. I've had these since my facial surgery years ago, just sitting in the freezer, and I had the bright idea that they'd be good on the top of my head. We shall see.

Other than that, I'm perfecting my best 'It's soooooo hooooot' whine for my trainer.

I know this is the H/J board so don't beat me up too much, but we are hoping to enter our first mini-trial in July.
    Congrats! I bet you'll have fun! The little 12/16" courses are so cute. It makes me want to try a widdle x-country class next spring.
    The dude abides ...

Dewey - I can't believe your dog ate a sponge coated in oil! I am so glad my horse isn't the only crazy animal that does these things, and I am so, so glad that the sponge was expelled!

dOTTB - Tajar and I did a little baby event last spring, and it was so much fun! We were planning on doing another one at the end of July, but with the heat, we will probably wait until fall - maybe September. To this day, that baby event was my only public, scored dressage test.

Despite the massively oppressive heat, it hasn't been prohibitively hot early in the morning. I got to the barn at 8:30 this morning, and riding was totally doable. So not fun to have to get up that early on a weekend though.

Totally non-horse related -- we are getting a new Weimaraner puppy in September! I met the momma dog today, because the breeder is not far from my barn (which was a total coincidence, when I was researching breeders, I thought they were the best ones, and then realized their convenient location). She is due July 9!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying as cool as possible.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Dewey - talk about some quality tack! How awesome to have that after so many years! Wouldn't that be wonderful to be able to pass that down to young relatives or a close friend someday? So special!

and Dewey/Tarheel - you would not BELIEVE the things my mom's dog has eaten. Most notably: $100 and my brother's hearing aid.

Opus - we did a "spa" day in the Special Olympics class I volunteer with last Thursday. We taught a few showmanship skills then taught the riders a few things about giving the horses baths. The riders loved it (and the horses did too!) and it was a great way to beat the heat.

~~~

My saddle search MAY be over! Toby has been protesting quite a bit regarding the use of my jump saddle and I know it no longer fits him since he's muscled up and gotten into a nice healthy weight. So I've pretty much been riding in my dressage saddle/bareback and was able to find a saddle at a local tack store today that I liked enough to bring back on trial. I wasn't in love with it, but it looked appropriate enough to try. Well .... it's not PERFECT (currently needs a halfpad, leather needs a LOT of TLC, and will probably need some reflocking), but I did a short test ride in it this afternoon (it was HOT out!) and the difference in Toby was night and day! He was so round and actually using his back! Beautiful, supported and relaxed trot and probably the prettiest right lead trot/canter transition he's ever done. So, while it may not be perfect, Toby has certainly given me his vote!

And ... it looks like we will be entering that mini-trial! It's actually next weekend - last minute entry, but they are postponing the closing date because of the cancellation of another local (typically big) show. Provided they still have room for us, we'll be doing Baby/Pre-Starter, the 18" division. I'm already excited/nervous!!!

I don't normally post these. But I feel the need to post this one. Comment if you like, I just ... there's too much WTH to not share with other horsey people.

Craigslist.

I'm sorry. I am. I just have to put this out for y'all.

:walks away:
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    I don't normally post these. But I feel the need to post this one. Comment if you like, I just ... there's too much WTH to not share with other horsey people.

Craigslist.

Wow, Opus. It almost has to be for laughs, right? Although no one should be laughing.

There's an older sway backed horse I used to drive by regularly when I moved to the new barn, that is gone now. Just want to go up and give them treats and love.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This makes me sad

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post

Craigslist.

This cannot be real.

Oh good lord Opus! That is so sad!

On a positive note, anyone with an ounce of sense is not going to pay $2500 for an old, unbroke swaybacked horse. So at least the big pricetag will keep the backyard yahoos away, I hope.

Unfortunately that means the horse is still stuck with an asshat of an owner who thinks that poor animal should be broken and ridden.

Sorry I've been MIA yet again. I have not ridden in about 2 weeks, I absolutely HATE the heat and avoid it at all costs. Basically I go outside, feed, hose the horses down, and go back inside.

I may have found a pony for Lily, a 13h pony that the woman wants to free lease. So I'm going to look at him this weekend, he's about 45 min away.

TarheelJD - Tonight on Facebook, I came across a link for herbal cures for sarcoids. Not sure if you've ever heard of this. Thought you might be interested.
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5527550_he...-sarcoids.html

Spacytracy - hope the pony lease works out!

Am really bummed having to deal with no riding for another week, while we wait for new farrier to return from vacation. Haven't been able to find a substitute who will come out here in the boonies- at least this week. Must be all farriers take 4th of July week off? And just called the equine dentist to set up B's next treatment, only to find out he was just at the old barn yesterday. Of course! TG he will be back in the state in 3 weeks and the teeth aren't an emergency issue.

Have to say, though, that soaking his legs and putting the hoof dressing on daily, keeping the bell boots on the front, and squirting the fly spray like mad has helped keep all of B's shoes in place so far.

Anyone else use a fly sheet? B is on 24 hr pasture, but with a very nice run-in - like a little barn almost, and for the most part can escape the flies if he's inside. His TB hide is so super sensitive to flies. But I don't know if the fly sheet might bother him further, especially when it's humid.

Hope everyone and their steeds are able to bear the heat, and that everyone's power is running!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks CVPeg. I had seen some information similar to the link you provided. It does seem those methods may be helpful with verrucous sarcoids, but Tajar has nodular sarcoids, and they react differently. But I really appreciate you thinking of us and passing on the info!

Right now he is scheduled for the cryo removal Monday, July 23. That way he has all that that week and the following week to heal up while I am in London. The vet thinks by the next day I would be able to ride, some time the week of August 6 (and likely I won't have time until August 11) he will be all healed up. I am so grateful I trust his trainers/BO to take such good care of him during his recovery period. They treat him like he is one of their own.

We squeezed In peetty good lessons on Saturday and Sunday before it got too hot, but wow! On Sunday, by 10:00 am, it was getting ridiculous. It is going to be a long summer!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Dewey- love that photo of you and sky!

Bumknees, you are sounding better and better all the time... hope it keeps up.

My Oliver is doing well. Although he is dumb- he keeps breaking fence boards, and he also keeps sticking his legs in the pasture's water trough and pulling it over on purpose. you can tell he is quite pleased with himself when he does it, but in this heat- thehorses need their water! So it's extra work for the barn owner to keep having to check to make sure he isn't being naughty.

But- we are making SO much progress. I am actually cantering some jumps, and did a 2-foot oxer about five times last night. I also went over two-foot verticals, where all I had really been doing with JJ had been 18" crossrails because I couldn't handle him. I love Oliver so much already, even if he is a dim bulb

I tried him in a full-cheek slow-twist yesterday rather than the pelham, and he's definitely not nearly as responsive. I think I might keep schooling him in it, though, and get us both used to it, and reserve the pelham for showing if needed. i'd rather get him out of the harsher bits altogether, eventually.

And here we are! Don't mind the grass in the ring...we're not a fancy barn

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...43/Oliver1.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...43/Oliver2.jpg

Oliver looks great! And compared to my barn, yours looks quite fancy...it has nice fences

Have you tried a Waterford for Oliver? My pony leaned heavily on any snaffle I tried. I switched to a Waterford and she's MUCH better. I don't consider it harsher, just different. Also, subsequent to my switch my horse dentist pointed out that Mahindra has a low palate and some old injuries in her mouth, and therefore snaffles were making her miserable. Now I alternate the Waterford and a french link snaffle, so both bits lie more or less flat over her tongue.

Thanks! I haven't personally tried a Waterford yet, but the little girl who showed him last had one on him while schooling at the show, and he was running right through her hands. I don't know if it would make a difference with me as the rider or not, but I might try it. He is STRONG! He also tries to evade as well, not just lean.

Oh, and my adult barnmates thought of a new show name for him- Fifty Shades of Grey. LOLOL. I just *might* use it...