The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 89 of 379 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 7578

Bumknees, I'm still so very sorry for what you're going through. It actually looks like your typing has improved, so I hope that's indicative of motor coordination coming back slowly. I wish you all the best.

Showing.... I get all worked up about it too, and SO nervous, but in the end I do it as a test against myself to prove to myself that I am progressing and accomplishing my goals. It also lets me know what I need to work on. I too also enjoy the comraderie of my "teammates" at my barn, and meeting other riders. We always have a great time. (and burn a lot of calories, haha!)

Thanks for all the congrats on Ollie. I don't yet have a photo of me on him because of the rain we've been having! Since purchasing, I haven't even ONCE been able to sit on him. BOO! I hope I get to ride tomorrow ... it's clear right now, but this evening it's supposed to storm again. I sure hope I get a few days of riding in before the trial ends. But when I went out to see him at the barn yesterday and groom, he was already behaving better on the ground. Not even ONE nibble on me or my clothing, and he wasn't pulling me around. The days before, I had been carrying a crop around and smacking his shoulder when he would misbehave, so I think he's already respecting me more and learning what's not acceptable. Good sign! He also ran up to the fence as I was leaving again- he knows me already! ::sigh. Melt::

Bumknees, that's got to be frustrating. When you're feeling better, you can decide whether you want to pursue any sort of malpractice action if they missed a diagnosis earlier.

PH, Ollie is adorable! Those big horses do require a firm hand, but they're often very good natured. Is your farrier ready to work on those big feet?

Thanks for the replies on showing. I still think it's probably not for me. There are no adults at my barn that I would be showing with. And I think for me it would just be stressful. I even get nervous about my performance at our barn's little schooling show!

Yeah, having other adults makes it SO much better. We have a fantastic group of adults that goes to shows, so it makes it so much fun. We have more adults than kids!

And our farrier is totally prepared to work on his feet- we have a Suffolk Punch cross with feet that are even slightly bigger than Ollie's! And it definitely will be an adjustment with needing stronger arms

PaintedHunter: Ollie's so cute! I love the big drafty types. And had the perfect OTTB not come along, I'd probably be shopping for Ollie's older brother or cousin.

Riding in the Rain: I'm not opposed to getting wet while I ride, nor do I think my horse would care, but we rarely ever get 'just' rain. From now until late fall, we'll be getting pretty wicked thunderstorms with plenty of lightning. Although come fall, I'll have to invest in the ride-on rain cover so I can get some extra ride time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    Thanks for the replies on showing. I still think it's probably not for me. There are no adults at my barn that I would be showing with.
    A year ago, I thought competing, even at a local level, would be great. But I keep putting it off. And off. And off ... I haven't ruled out showing entirely, but I just don't have that urge to get out and compete like I did 10 years ago. I'd rather go on a group trail ride or just go to shows and watch. Which is probably why I've developed an interest in one day hilltopping with a hunt. It's not showing, but it's not a trail ride ... And it's not a trail ride, but it's not showing.
    The dude abides ...

I know this is silly, but ...

I got all excited when my Smartpaks came in last night with the little plastic drawer. I was like, 'Awwwww. These are my *very* first Smartpaks!'

I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of that the rest of this year. Hopefully for fun things and not bad things.
    The dude abides ...

Working adult vent! Now that I am officially a "weekend" rider, it is so frustrating when something interferes with those prized weekend lessons. Super mare is WAY in season and just uncomfortable everywhere, so until she is on the downside and can go onto whatever it is my vet is going to put her on (depo or regumate, we'll see) she's been off. We've just been doing 30 minute trail rides. Thank goodness my trainer + barn mate took pity on me and had me ride a barn mate's horse this weekend while she was out of town. We jumped 2'3" I think, and it felt nice to do something!

*Grumble grumble unspecified random sore young mare issues grumble*

She's getting fab care, chiro, vet, lots of turn out, and was relocated to a less "busy" stall so she doesn't go "AHH" when the boys walk by. She'll be fine, the off time is just making me cranky. I just keep repeating...I'm not in a hurry...I don't have money to show right now anyway...she's 5...

My "probation" at the new firm is up Aug. 1, and that will entail salary negotiations. One of the things I think I will end up asking for are later days on Tues/Thurs - like come in at 9-9:30 and stay until 6-6:30 so I can lesson in the mornings again. Hopefully the partners think that is reasonable.
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

quietann - definitely silly sorts - right out of Monty Pyton.

bumknees - your typing and sentence construction is getting much better!! Am so sorry that an earlier incident may have been missed - like was said earlier - you can figure your options on a malpractice suit later on. Keep you chin up - we are all there for you!
    And nothing bad happened!

Quote Originally Posted by HazelG View Post

Quietann good luck with the upcoming show. Let us know how it goes!
    Certainly better than the May show, where she was spooky and really unfocused!

We did two tests, Training 2 and Training 3. These are simple WTC tests... but not so simple really because the moves come really fast! Scored 60% on T3, which is the harder test, and our first time showing it. She broke during the left lead canter, so we got docked a couple points there. Got a 65.something on T2... I have video of T2, but it's really awful quality so I have not posted it anywhere. These scores put us in 5th and 4th place respectively... definitely still in the "not quite ready for prime time" category.

(ETA: when she threatened to break from the canter in T2, I gave her a kick -- a Pony Club kick. Trainer said that was the right thing to do, but it's a little embarrassing in a dressage test!)

The one big issue we had at this show is that my mare has decided that the other mare we trailer with is her Forever Love, and goes apesh*t when the other mare is out of her sight. Only at shows, luckily, but it's very embarrassing to have a horse that's whinnying and carrying on and bouncing around like a crazy thing because OMG her BFF is GONE! My mare is actually better behaved at shows, except for this one issue... feh. Mares!
    Last edited by quietann; Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    feh. Mares!
    Maybe we need a "mare owner" support group
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fun Size View Post
    Maybe we need a "mare owner" support group
    To be fair, I *love* mares. Most of the horses I learned to ride on were mares, one of the best when I was a new re-rider was an old TB mare, the two who stepped in the most when mine was lame were mares, etc. When I finally went horse-shopping in 2008, I decided right off that I wanted a Morgan mare. Yes they can be ticklish or have other issues, but I just prefer them. Mine is not terribly mare-ish, though.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quietann, I love your link to the pics from the dressage show with captions. I laughed because my mare is super-sensitive and reactive also. She gets nervous when a pole on the ground is in a different place or someone standing along the rail takes out a camera, etc. Did you ever see this article? It sounds so much like my horse.

http://thehairpin.com/2012/04/the-horse-explained

That said, I like mares and wish people weren't so biased against them. Most of the horses in my life have been mares. I have had a really cranky, dangerous one (whom I described a bit in the Off-Course forum in the thread on the witchy pony) and a mare (my first pony) who was an absolute saint--the most even-tempered and forgiving equine I have ever had the honor to know. My other mares, including the one I have now, are somewhere in the middle--like most other horses.

My first horse was a mare, who had lots of issues, among them being very marish She would whinny, flirt and buckle her knees for any guy over 16 hands! (she didn't care for the short guys, not even the pony stud). When I retired her, I swore I would NEVER have another mare. And what do I have? A chestnut pony mare.
    She's completely different from mare #1. She has all of the good qualities that people ascribe to mares, and none of the bad. She's intelligent, and brave, and commited to doing what she thinks you want her to do. She gives no visible signs when she's in heat, but she is sometimes a little cranky thne. But I can't blame her, I'm the same way when I have PMS. Fortunately, we seem to be on a similar schedule, so I can anticipate when she'll be cranky, and we just plan to do easier stuff for a day or two.

So I had my first ride on Oliver last night since our trial began. he was more difficult to control and not as soft as when I first rode him...his owner sent me with her Mikmar pelham with rein converter as opposed to the regular pelham with double reins I tried him in. He was heavier on my hands in this, and I was having a hard time finding the happy medium between controlling his freight-trainness and forehand heaviness while not pissing him off or him breaking gait thinking I was stopping him. I think we'll try a regular pelham and see how we do...I think my style and not being used to him makes this Mikmar pelham too much for us as a combination. He was strong in the regular pelham, but seemed more responsive and adjustable to me.

PH, you may have to experiment to find the right bit for the two of you. Your bit allows you to communicate with your horse, and you probably have a different "accent" and manner of speaking from the previous owner. So it's not a surprise that you may need to try a different setup. Or it may just take you time to get used to him. Big horses and ponies each bring their own special challenges, don't they?

Oh, I'm not knocking mares per se, just saying they have their own challenges. The one I have actually is super sweet and not mare-ish at all. The only way we can tell she is in season is how uncomfortable she is, but she isn't cranky about it at all which suprised me.

With this one the good far outweighs any "mare maintenance" issues for me

Funsize, I figured you wouldn't describe your horse as "Super Mare" if you didn't like her.

We're going to try the pelham tonight and see. i asked the owner, and it seems that he tends to go rounder/more dressage-y in the mikmar, lending himself to putting his head down and leaning more. So the pelham might be a better option for us as hunters.

PH - Congrats! And another grey Oliver being discussed here. Good luck with the bit decision. He is a doll!!

Quietann - my friend is grooming this week, and just spent today with 2 hollering stable mates. I was supposed to join her, but schedule conflicts, although may still lend a hand this week or next. Haven't been to a show in awhile, and she reported that it is much more clinical, and less fun, than in "the old days".

This is an AA show. I had seen the same at a local show a couple of years ago. When the back-to-back rounds are a bit redundant to watch. I can remember years ago thinking, and discussing with our trainer, "well, I'm going to try to do such and so in this next round" while waiting for it to eventually get there. And often you could create a change up in how you did a course, or worked under saddle. Not so sure I'd be that thrilled to do it anymore... What do those of you who used to do it feel vs. today??

We had a great lesson today. Have mostly just worked on the flat, maybe with a nice quiet! walk down the road in between lessons. And some occasional ground work. B has done great cantering to the left on the longe, collected and easy going, but discombobulated to the right. So today learned how to keep him balanced so I hope he'll have his feet well under him and relaxed in both directions, and maybe we'll be trying a canter next time...? Everything seems to have been taking so agonizingly slow with this horse. But everyone says he's such a nice mover, so we're doing it right. Began practicing our first ever test, with trot thrown in instead of canter for now.

I've been totally H/J, having done adult eq and adult hunter "back in the day". But this instructor is talking about several fun things in the future - she does schooling shows, but what sounds like more fun is a hunter pace! (If I can keep the pace down to under 40mph! ) So who knows?

I screwed up, though, and didn't put boots on him, and he caught himself, so it's definitely up to the show to get some boots and other gear sooner than later, and to watch jumpers!

Then I'm volunteering at a nearby event next weekend.

Opus - had to laugh at your Smartpak excitement. I was there last fall.

Fun Size - hope you get some flexibility in your schedule. After all, isn't it true you can compose much better after an invigorating ride?

So I was really inspired to add to the forum today, after having a nice ride, and given B a nice bath on a picture perfect day. Then at home, looking at a lovely picture of a horse online, I was reminded how lucky I feel to be able to have a nice horse, too (well, there's something about looking in the eyes of all horses...), and (for now) the time to do the right thing by him, and enjoy him. Would help if the finances were more forward looking, but have always managed to come up with the next thing somehow.

But in the meantime, just LOVE horses, riding, and the camaraderie and good feeling within this sport/obsession/way of life.

Sorry for gushing, and writing another epistle. Can't help taking hold of this kind of day.

Edited to add: Within minutes of posting this, I received a call from my 97 year old mother's assisted living facility. She took a tumble down the outside stairs. 6 hours in the ER including an hour getting CT scans and x-rays. Mother was covered with bruises, has a goose egg on her head, a bruised tailbone, and a displaced broken left ring finger. Another life appreciating moment... But it's going to be tough on her, not only because of the residual pains, but also because my mother is pretty willful.
    Last edited by CVPeg; Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

bumknees -- your typing is so much better! That is a great sign. Try to stay positive and focus on your recovery right now. You can worry about how to handle any "ball dropping" by the doctors who saw you initially when you are stronger.

Opus -- I kow hwat you mean about getting excited about stuff like your very own horse's Smartpaks -- I was exactly the same way.

PH -- good luck with the bit experimentation.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

So, the weather has not exactly been cooperating lately. The rain stopped Sunday night, which meant Monday morning was 82 degrees (at 8 a.m.!) with about 98% humidity, give or take. I walked out to where my trainer was feeding, cocked my head and asked, 'Can I just, like, groom today?' That miserable.

And I did groom him. And I found out that while Oliver tolerates fly spray, he does not especially care to be sprayed over and over and over with coat whitener/shampoo. He let me know his irritation by scooting to the side of the washrack, backing up, then rearing a bit when he felt his head was being held by the rope. (Which was latched on by one of those odd little broken bit looking devices -- and the rope slid out just fine.) But for a second it was an 'Oh sh-!' moment.

But then once his head was free, and he'd made his displeasure known, he just stood there, looking at me. So, I took him back to the rack, hosed off the purple stuff and called it a day.

Oh -- and I will officially be Oliver's new owner on Monday. Still figuring out insurance and all of that. I think I'll get mortality for sure, but I'd like to talk with the vet the next time she's out, and get her opinion on medical/major surgery.

I'm both excited and a little terrified. This is normal for first-time horse ownership, right?
    The dude abides ...