The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 88 of 530 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 10586

To moms like spacytracy and HazelG, I have no idea where you find the energy! And HazelG - the image of your daughter going to bed with the ribbon she and her pony earned is adorable. I guess that is where you get the motivation to do all you do! So sweet.

Equisusan - hope you have fun horse shopping. Keep us posted.

CVPeg - I definitely think horses are affected by negative energy. And there sure was plenty of that at your old barn.

Jumping lesson tomorrow -- yay! Then out of town for 2 days, so no riding for me on Sunday. Going to the NC mountains to see family. My aunt has been living in Asia for the last twenty some odd years. Now she is moving back to the States, but instead of going back to New Orleans, she bought a place near Asheville. So, even though I am missing a day of riding, I'll be having cocktails at the Grove Park Inn soaking in the beautiful mountains. Can't complain too much about that.

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Weather whine:

We've been getting killed by rain the last few days. It's so hard to predict bad weather down here on the Ga-Fl border. When it looks sunny and nice out, it rains. When it looks cloudy and dark, it just sits there and doesn't rain. And what's worse is that being an hour from the barn, it's hard to know. Down here there are many times during Spring-Summer-Fall when it will be sunny out, but raining. Seriously.

Although I will say we *do* need the rain.

There's a 40% chance of rain in the morning, but I may be able to scoot out to the barn before it hits.
    The dude abides ...

Opus1, I've found that the best thing to do is to buy an old saddle that you don't mind getting wet...like an ols Siegfried..and just ride in the rain. If it's not pouring, it's not so bad, and you usually have the place to yourself!

Hey...I love my Siegfried!!

I recommend a rain cover like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Saddle.../dp/B002B9PFGC

It's been pouring here, too.

We did our first combined test today. It was an ... interesting experience. Overall, I was thrilled with the day, but Toby was extremely anxious for most of the day which dampened things a bit. Our best guess at this point is that it was a combination of things: bugs/heat/humidity and really being away from home for the first time with only one other horse from our barn also attending (and not one he's particularly close to). He is incredibly sensitive to bugs and the other rider's trainer (mine wasn't able to attend until mid-morning) and I put SWAT in his ears and bug spray all over, but that didn't help much at all. I'm going to see about getting permission from the TD at our next show to wear an ear bonnet. It's not like we're doing rated shows at this point. Not sure what to do about the herd-bound thing though.

It was funny though, as fussy as he was the whole morning, the minute we stepped into the arena for stadium (stadium held on sand arena, dressage was held on a grass arena), he immediately calmed and focused in on the job. It was easy to see that he was happiest in the jump ring. Dressage has never been a problem at home, but it was not in his game plan today. Either way, we ended up 4 out of 5 in our division and met my two goals for our first combined test: I stayed on and we did not get eliminated (and went clear in stadium!). All in all, a successful day!

Good for you dreamin. I would say you not only met but exceeded your goals. I totally agree with Toby I absolutely HATE bugs!! I think you did great for your first combined test.

I showed today too. 39 people in my division and it was a hundred degrees and humid. They refused to excuse jackets, seriously folks, how much heat stroke do we really need to deal with??? Anyway my horse was in a really relaxed kind of mood, I reread all my rider sports psychology books last night and did okay. I got a 7th over fences which I was really happy about, but more so happy that I felt like I rode well (and did not die from heat stroke or faint in the middle of a course). Same thing next week then a break until July thank goodness. Enough horse bathing and laundry for a while!!!

Dewey, I love my Siegfried, too, but they are more or less indestructible, so I use mine on rainy days. Or (!gasp!) my Western saddle.

Congratulations Dreamin & Hazel on showing. I don't do well with heat any more, so I don't know how you manage to cope, all dressed up in show clothes.

For those of you who do show, why do you do it? My instructor keeps pestering me to do an adults on ponies class at a local show. I've been telling her that showing is just not going to be my cup of tea, but she insists that it's fun. So I'm curious to hear what other adults enjoy about showing.

Equisusan- good luck!

DreaminOTTB- I think that sounds like a successful day! My JJ showed on Saturday with one of our teenage riders, and it ws his first real course at a show, even it was only 2'. Some parts were hysterical (he stopped and STEPPED over one jump one leg at a time, LOL), but you could tell he thoroughly enjoyed it, even if he didn't fully know what he was doing. Gotta take the small victories.

So I HAVE NEWS. I bought a horse!!! I don't know what the heck I was thinking having two. I don't know how to do photos on this particular board, so here is a link. Meet Oliver/Ollie:http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...l43/Oliver.jpg

They are both going to live outside until JJ sells. i cannot BELIEVE my husband went for this!!

16.2 dappled gray Percheron/TB cross. As soon as I sat on him, he felt like home. Easy-going, point and shoot, but STRONG, yet adjustable. Goes best in a Pelham. Going to have to get used to his size and stride, and need to work on ground manners (he is mouthy and pulls you around a bit), but I can work on that. He also already broke a fence board. It was hysterical. I got to the barn, walked up to his pasture, and he was just standing there straddling the fence and looking embarrased like, "I'm stuck. HELP." Moron didn't realize, oh hi, I'm huge and can hop my legs over this. We had to tap his butt with a stick to get him to hop over with his back legs:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...isadimbulb.jpg

dreamin and Hazel: well done! It sounds as if both of you had some good success.

Hinderella: I agree about the Siegfried--they are almost indestructible. In fact, mine got wet yesterday and cleaned right up afterward. I do love that saddle, though, and wouldn't ride in anything else. I don't care if it's not fashionable--it makes me feel secure.

As for your question on showing, I guess I do it to give myself little, achievable goals to work toward. It's not really necessary, but it does make me work a bit more because my horse and I are putting it out there for others to see. I don't think everyone has to show, though. One of my goals when I retire is to take piano lessons, but I'm going to keep looking until I find an instructor who doesn't insist that I play in recitals. Don't want to.

CONGRATULATIONS, PH!! Now we have two Olivers in the re-riders thread: Yours and Opus's! Both very cute, I should add. I am so glad things worked out! Give your DH a big hug from all of us!

Bumknees- jingles for a good, steady recovery. I agree with the others, blame the spelling errors on autocorrect!

PH- exciting news about the new horse.

I did ride the 4 days before I went out of town and just got back in town last night. Of course, on the last day I really started to feel like I had it together again and had a good ride. I'm tired and hate to say it but not at all sorry to see it is raining today, I could use a night at home to rest after work.

Quick not-horse related... I showed my little homebred girl in Bred By and won the class over 26 other females (huge win). Walking her back to the van to rest before winners, I felt her start taking off steps. I put her up, went back to our set-up and was told I was overreacting. Got her out before winners and my friends thought she was moving sound. We gave her some rimidyl and she stayed sound through winners, where she pressed the open bitch hard but lost. Judge sent us one more time around in Reserve, and 3/4 of the way around she went lame and I was excused. Heart-breaking. The owner of Winners Bitch happens to be a horse vet and she examined my girl afterwards and we suspected a bruised pad. She is okay today but I'm keeping her relatively quiet for the week.

The forecast is for rain all week, with the worst of it today and tomorrow. So, I might not get back to the barn until Wednesday. Barnmates are showing this weekend, but I'm definitely not ready yet.

I suspect my childhood riding instructor had a bunch of Siegfrieds or whatever predated them. I know she preferred Stubben saddles. And when I returned to riding, one of the horses I rode had an ancient Stubben Loehngrin that was so comfortable... rock-hard but comfortable. That horse, and that saddle, are both deceased now (the horse is Trump, see below.)

We had our usual Saturday lesson, though with a dressage schooling show on Sunday the jumpers guy didn't want to "heat up" Feronia too much. We spent a *lot* of time trotting and cantering squares -- that old inside-leg-to-outside-hand thing. Eventually we did do a little jumping... Trot in to tiny crossrail and count strides to a canter pole. As usual, the first time Feronia cleared it by at least 2 feet, goofy mare that she is. Phil decided that 8 strides was the right number and I had to adjust the excitable mare to keep it at 8. Her tendency when excited is to start bouncing up and down, so we got 9 a few times instead of 8, or 8 with a "long spot" to the pole. I also now know that she will screech to a halt if I say "Ho!" No other aids required She started to show a little bit of an old bad habit, drifting to the right after a jump, so we will be working with placing poles. Phil says that these little bits of jumping are "recess time" for Feronia but she's getting bored with the tiny crossrail so we need to up the ante a bit.

Dressage show was... OK, not great. Much better than the last one, though, as she didn't spook at anything and more or less kept her attention on me. The competition was tough, so we tied for last place in one class and were 4th out of 6 in the other even with decent scores. She has become very herdbound to her trailer buddy, so we need to deal with that. We do it all over again this Sunday, except with a home barn advantage, and hopefully not too much drama when her buddy goes to the indoor to do her tests.
    Last edited by quietann; Jun. 11, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Congrats PH on Oliver - very cute!

I too am tired of the rain - can't it fall after it's time for the horses to come in? We had a birthday party at the barn on Saturday - there I am - hair blown dry, no baseball cap, makeup and even perfume to go with my tacky rubber boots.

Dinner time for the ponies - pouring rain. We go to the gate and holler, come no boys. Nope says they, we is under the tree and quite comfortable thank you very much. We melt in that water stuff falling from the sky, you know.

Somebody had to go first, so I grabbed my boy's halter and in I went - dripping wet but in my rubber boots! They all stand and look at me and snicker - look at the drippy human!! As I get under the tree, I get, Oh, hey, what's up? Did you bring treats? We are hungry, starving actually.

Halter mine and head back for the barn, the rest following. By then I was totally drenched and not a thank you from any of the ponies did I get for getting them in to dinner.

Ungrateful sods!
    And nothing bad happened!

PH - Oliver is handsome! He's exactly what I wanted when I was horse-hunting! Instead, I ended up with a 15.3hh, chestnut OTTB gelding. Hmmm ...

Where are all you people located that you're getting so much rain??? We are just today getting rain after DAYS of nothing. While we had some pretty weather, we really needed some wet days to keep the grass going or everything was just going to burn out. Thankfully it just rained today (and we may get a bit more tomorrow) so that should help a bit.

I'm in Georgia--we have standing water in our yard right now, but we needed all the rain we've gotten.

jaslyn, I can't decide if those horses were sensible or naughty, wanting not to get wet. Maybe silly is the best word...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

PH. Congratulations! That picture over the fence is too funny. You need to post one of you on him!

Quietann good luck with the upcoming show. Let us know how it goes!

Bumknees how are you doing?

Dewey, I tried what you suggested in my " how not to lean" rant, Instead of telling myself not to lean I told myself to put my weight in my outside stirrup going around the turn. And guess what? It worked. It's not perfect by a long shot but it's certainly way better. Even my trainer noticed and said it was better. So THANK YOU!!!

Yay PaintedHunter! Ollie is precious. I love the photo of him standing over the broken fence - too funny!

Hinderella - I guess there are several reasons I like showing. I like the comraderie of the folks from our barn, being there are cheering each other on. I like making friends with people from other "competitor" barns. I like seeing how other trainers work with their horses and students. I like seeing everyone dressed in their "Sunday clothes" and putting their best performance forward. I like that it helps me set and work on incremental goals. I like that it's something I can do a few times a year with my goddaughter who also rides. So, overall, I get a lot out of it. But everyone is different. One of my best friends hates showing, and I doubt she'll ever do it again (hasn't done it since she was a teenager). She finds it stressful. To each their own. Maybe give it a try. If you hate it, then you know and you won't do it again.

dOTTB and HazelG - congrats on good shows!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by HazelG View Post
    Dewey, I tried what you suggested in my " how not to lean" rant, Instead of telling myself not to lean I told myself to put my weight in my outside stirrup going around the turn. And guess what? It worked. It's not perfect by a long shot but it's certainly way better. Even my trainer noticed and said it was better. So THANK YOU!!!

i am do well. a lot bettel then last time. but i must admit it comes and and goes. i read a lot more than i typo which i find helps i dont know why but it does. then i have brain frats.. and nothing.. the everything all at once it like shouting in my head then silece...
    i dont know ... its confosing
    i had a drs apt yesderday and i and i want to cry she sad what dh sad all this time that that there had been signs i had i proborbably had a small ne back one bck may 6th my b-day.. but they fail to do mri with cntrast in order cath it.
    i dont know wat do wht tht nfo i knw waht i what i what i do bt it not leagel...
    Friend of bar .ka