The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 83 of 322 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 6424

You all have me dreaming of Florida now ... and after my rough day, I need it. Rough ride after a long day. Toby and I were NOT on the same page today.

Hope everyone else had a better day!

dOTTB - sorry about your rough day. Hopefully you'll have a good, long weekend!

HazelG - I looked up the Success in the Sadle DVDs. It looks like there are 6 work outs? I worry that doing the same 6 over and over would get boring. Downey give you any ideas on how to mix up the exercises? I definitely need to get on the fitness train. I have been really lazy the last 6 monts, and the results are painfully obvious.

Vet today at 4:00 for the nodular sarcoids. I admit I am nervous, but I am sure all will be well at the end of the road. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a really bad problem. But it still makes me nervous.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Hazel, I was the one who suggested the fitness updates...

I am glad you got the DVDs. I'll be interested to hear more and whether or not you find it easy to keep up with. I exercise sporadically, not regularly as I envisioned, so I have nothing to report except that I fell off the wagon. I am glad you brought it up as I have been thinking guilty thoughts lately.

Tarheel, you're going to London for the Olympics? How exciting! I'm jealous!!

On the home horse front: Sky is severely lame. We think it's an abscess. We pulled her shoe, and she is so sore she can hardly stand on it. I have been going to the barn and soaking her foot in epsom salts and water and wrapping her foot. She is in a stall (normally she's on pasture board), and she looks for me every day. She was so cute yesterday...I saw her head hanging from the stall, said "Hi, Sky," and when she heard my voice, she gave a huge neigh! Very gratifying, although she probably was saying, "Mom, get me out of here!"

DD has recovered nicely from her hurt/jealous feelings--she has decided Sky is sweet, and even better, BO "gave" her a green horse to work with as a summer project, and she loves him. He's a chestnut gelding named "Rex," maybe 10 or 12 years old and about 15.2. We think he was someone's trail horse. He's sweet but a little spooky, and he doesn't know much. He's cute as a button and has nice gaits. BO plans to turn him into a lesson horse if he turns out well or sell him.

We're going to the barn this morning--DD will ride Rex, I'll take care of Sky, and I will ride a pony belonging to BO whom she can't decide about. She thinks she wants to sell him, but after I rode and jumped him yesterday, she is less certain--he may be useful to her after all. We will see!

Bummer about Sky, Dewey. When I first got Tajar, he had a similar problem. We thought it was either an abscess or a stone bruise. We soaked in Epsom salts a lot, and when I wrapped, the vet said to put Epsom salt gel and icthamol on the bottom of the hoof, then a piece of padding, then wrap. I guess this was intended to help draw any abcsess out of the holes in the bottom of the hoof from his shoe, rather than have it erupt at the coronet band. Nothing ever erupted, so we think it was a stone bruise after all. But just thought I would pass on the vet's recommendation for abscess treatment.

Can't wait for the Olympics! My friend and I were only able to get tickets to 2 of the 4 events we wanted because they were so oversubscribed. We have tickets to one day of dressage, and tickets to the stadium jumping, so we'll get to see the eventing medal ceremony. We did not get the show jumping tickets we tried for, or cross country tickets (cross country was WAY oversubscribed). I am hoping we can figure out a way to get XC tickets on the secondary market once we're over there. My friend is from London, so she may have some local contacts who can help us. Anyway, not only will it be fun to be at the Olympics, I am looking forward to hanging out in London with people who will show me stuff that is off the beaten tourist path.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Dewey sorry to hear about the abscess. But its actually the best diagnosis I think when they are that lame because it is totally fixable. My pony used to get them and I always flipped out but as soon as they drained he was absolutely fine. Way to go BO for helping with your daughter and her summer!

Tarheel there are only 6 workouts in the original dvd set but there are others as well that you can order (for an extra price of course). I've only done the first one so can't comment on the others. I have only limited time to exercise (like all of the rest of you) so I am trying to mix the Success in the Saddle workouts with yoga and pilates. Frankly I don't find any of it remotely interesting or enjoyable (except the yoga, I really like it) but I am making myself do it to help my riding, and hopefully feel less weak, if that makes any sense. I will update when I have done the other 5. I do like the horsey comments and the neighing in the background

Spacy is Devon this weekend? I suppose I should know that but not as big a deal up here in Canada. If it is, GOOD LUCK. Hope you and DD and the lovely pony have a blast.

I am working all weekend so not too much barn time for me. I should be a complete grouch by Monday. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Dewey, so sorry about the abscess! And Tarheel, good luck with the vet today as well.

Still not a single inquiry about JJ, though it's only been a week since his ad has been posted. I really hope someone will want him soon! He really would be such a good horse for a confident rider who can do more with him. Tarheel, i hear you on graduating to 18" verticals. I've been doing mostly crossrails now for what seems like an eternity, since JJ and I could never get it together with his personality. Here's hoping to more vertical times for us both

I'm headed to South Georgia on Sunday to look at a solid paint who is a total kick ride. I can't wait to see if he'd be a good fit for me! But then there would be the issue of having two horses to apy for, ha. I am not sure my husband would be so happy about that....I'm sort of afraid I'm going to fall in love and then not be able to get him.

Hazel: Work has been very unkind to me the past few weeks. I'd planned on working out and getting a trainer at the end of March, but that didn't happen. Fortunately, I have a former coworker who's getting in shape and is definitely serving as an inspiration for me, as she's dropped 40 pounds since January.

Dewey: Glad to hear that your daughter has warmed up to Sky and your BOs summer project. I guess she just needed a little time. Hopefully Sky will heal in no time at all, and it's nothing too serious.

Tarheel: Please let us know how the vet visit goes. Happy thoughts!

PaintedHunter: We have plenty of heat, gnats and mosquitoes for you when you get here!

====

Hope everyone else is doing well! I'll hopefully be able to spend a few extra hours at the barn on Monday, so I can continue helping Oliver's tail along, give him a quick bath, oiling up my saddle, mixing fly spray, etc. All the little things I've been putting off.

And another lesson on Monday. We cantered several times last lesson, and I managed to steer him around a little (leg yielding a bit) as well as canter a full lap. They're small steps, but they feel like big ones to me. On Monday, I hope to work on cantering a couple of circles.

Oh -- as far as insurance goes ... I probably won't be getting insurance on Oliver. He qualifies for mortality and major surgery, but since everything seems to depend on his purchase price ... Well, let's just say, even if I quadrupled his price, I still would'nt make the minimum. So, saving up money it is.
    The dude abides ...

Dewey: I hope Sky heals quickly!

++++++

As for me and the palomino Morgan... we had another jumping lesson today and it was a blast! We're still trotting over poles to one tiny crossrail at a time, but no more halting afterward; instead we stayed with the canter and cantered over another pole or three, with appropriate changes of lead through the trot. (I need more practice feeling leads; low level dressage canter work is so simple that unless your horse is a goober, you're pretty much always going to get the correct lead.) The mare was so pleased with herself. And then we went for a nice 40 minute hack, and she mostly behaved herself (she is very watchful, and occasionally tries to convince me that we are about to be eaten.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Dewey - sorry about Sky. The worst thing about an abcess is waiting for the damned thing to blow.

Tarheel - color me pea green with envy! You know, of course, that you are now required to post frequent, preferably hourly, but will accept daily, updates!
    '
    Ended up scratching from the dressage show tomorrow. Somehow I managed to pull/strain my rotator cuff on my right shoulder. Being severely right handed, you can imagine what fun simple things like putting on what make up I wear or drying my hair has been, much less saddling the 16.3 TB. However, it is much better and gets better each day out. If it doesn't tropical storm on us, I will be good to go Sunday and Monday.
    And nothing bad happened!

Dewey - sending good thoughts to you and Sky. Another boarder at my barn is fighting (what she hopes to be) an abscess. She's also just waiting for it to blow/trying to draw it out, but so far, no luck. Hopefully it resolves soon!

Tarheel - I am sooooo jealous! I got to see reining at WEG and have gone to Rolex the past two years, but that's as close as I've gotten to something that big. How absolutely incredible! Take millions of pictures!

jaslyn - feel better soon! Have you seen a doc? It's nothing that will require more extensive treatment down the line, will it? Shoulders injuries are not something I'd ever want to mess with.

quietann - congrats on the progress! Has to feel good! I will say, though, about the canter work, that my horse (or maybe me, the rider) is JUST that goober - getting our right lead can be a bit of an adventure. And even though the left lead is pretty consistent, even then there will be a time or two when he'll throw me for a loop and pick up the right one instead. I have the opposite problem, I guess: I can feel the lead once I'm on it, but just can't always pick up the correct one initially.

~~~~

Toby and I are still struggling. We had a lesson tonight and we FLOPPED. He was really fighting me on his usual bit the other day, so I tried a new one tonight (double jointed loose ring to double jointed two-ring elevator) ... no change, even worse. His original tendency had been to travel on his forehand, head to the ground, and we had made A LOT of progress in the past few weeks in getting him to carry himself much better, getting off his forehand, and raising his poll. Well, the past few rides, he's been rooting down/on the forehand even more than before. I don't know if it's how I'm riding, if it's how MUCH he's riding (I upped his work around mid-April to increase fitness and get us geared up for low-level showing), if it's a tack fit issue (his saddle was fitted/purchased several months ago prior to him gaining weight/getting more fit), a general wellness issue (on Adequan and feeling good, testing limits?) ... UGH!!!! I hate that we're taking such a backwards step and that I have no idea how to fix it.

Sorry, needed to vent

Devon is today! I'm freakin out already! Have to bathe pony in a few, holding off til the last possible second because he's a pig.

We're all packed and ready to go, got a few people coming to help, and hoping we don't dies of heat exhaustion.. Supposed to be 87 today

GOOD LUCK, spacy! We're all looking forward to the pics and to hearing all about it!

Dreamin, I am not an expert, but I suggest going back to your other bit and sticking with it--when you ride, keep him thinking with lots of half-halts, circles, serpentines, and especially transitions. DD used to lease a horse who, while wonderful in general and very well broke, had a terrible tendency to pull through her hand. She found that when he did this, several halts and reinbacks in a row would get him off the forehand and listening, at least temporarily.

Jaslyn, so sorry to hear about the rotator cuff. I know how painful that can be. I had a "frozen shoulder" last year, and while it was at its worst, I couldn't even dress myself. Hang in there.

Quietann, sounds as if you had a wonderful ride.

(By the way, Sky knows all about those horse-eating beasts. She sees them everywhere!)

PH, keep your chin up! Trying to sell a horse is really tough now. Is there any way you can promote him locally? Put up fliers in feed stores? Ask someone to show him for you? etc?

Thanks for all the sympathy about Sky, everyone. It's a bummer that she is lame, but I am trying not to worry. As of yesterday, her abscess had not blown, but she seemed slightly better. I appreciate all the advice and concern.

On the bright side, DD rode Rex again and is bubbling over about him. He is extremely cute! I rode the pony (Piper) again--I can't say I love him, but he is improving.

By the way, I may be up for a re-riders field trip this fall if that's what everyone wants to do. Depends on my fall schedule. I could probably do an Ocala trip almost any weekend this summer. Just throwing that out there.

Hi, All - Still floating on a cloud here in upstate New York. I actually had a day yesterday where I didn't see B, but I didn't worry either! Old place was so wacky I felt obligated to check on him daily.

As in all places, however, not all is perfect. The path to the paddocks is filled with stone, and also spread into the beginning of each pasture. Farrier was here Monday, and although often tender footed immediately afterwards, B was really off on Wednesday. Plus his feet are dry here (well, it isn't mud everywhere! ) So I soaked his foot Thursday, figured another day off yesterday won't hurt either. Just hope he's sound, but quiet today! Trainer shows back up Tuesday and we have some practice to do! She gives homework - love that!

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    jaslyn - take heart. A couple of the best shows I ever had came right after some of the worst practice rides ever! Each ride is a new day, and I am sure you will do great on Saturday! Hope you are aren't too sore from your unplanned dismount.
    This adage was always so true with me, and so many at our barn in my old showing days. Used to really worry if everything was perfect right before a show.

Hope today goes great!

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    I was offered the chance to buy Oliver later this summer. And I said yes, assuming nothing goes to hell before then.
    Congrats, Opus! He is a cutie!

The idea about shopping, or perhaps other?, get togethers is enticing. However, I did a lot of traveling last year when I first got off work, and now am finally opening up my own business, so will be pretty tied up.

However, if anyone is headed for Saratoga, I'd love to get together if anyone gets a chance. I just found out they mucked up my ticket request, so this year for reserve seating I'll have to find other sources, but there's always ways...
    As I no longer currently own a share of a racehorse since B is retired, and my other interest is just a yearling, I may buy another small interest in one of a friend's horses - watching from the backstretch is often lovely - you get away from the crazy crowd, they even have betting windows back there, and although you're not near the finish, you can almost touch them - you can be right next to the gate for the starts of several races, or right by the rail as they return from the end of a race. When Street Sense won the Travers, we were right next to the rail when Calvin was hugging him and the whole backstretch was cheering.

Hope everyone has a delightful Memorial Day weekend. I'm so psyched I don't have to be anywhere, so plan on riding each day if B is ok, and also catching up on everything else!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Tarheel, how did the vet visit go?

PH good luck with the shopping tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Jaslyn I had a rotator cuff and frozen shoulder a few years back. Tried everything, massage therapy, physio, joint injections, the works. The thing that finally fixed it was acupuncture, and it fixed it fast too. You might want to look into it, but make sure you find someone who has done it for a long time, not just a weekend course. The person I went to had a PhD in it from China and really knew what she was doing!

CVPeg you might want to try some Magic Cushion or Forshners hoof packing for the dry sore feet. It has been really hot and dry here so our footing is terrible. My trainer suggested this stuff and I'm a convert.

Spacy the pics from Devon on your other thread are phenomenal. I hope you had a great day. The pony and your daughter looked perfect.

Tarheel what did the vet say about the sarcoids?