The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 77 of 322 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 6422

Hi, Folks!

Add me to the list of very unpleasant persons when horse time is missed or interrupted. Totally agree with you that a good ride can fix the crappiest of days.

Mr. Rehab continues to get better and is trotting five long sides of the indoor each day. Best of all, he is trotting soundly! Trainer and assistant trainer said he looked and felt great today. I'm going to try to get some saddle time on him in the next few days so I can see/feel how he's progressing.

Had a lesson tonight on the lesson horse jumper. She's a pistol, but can be controlled, so she's used for lessons. I opted for the "let's get acquainted and not killed" easy lesson, but it was a lot of fun. We can do more next time if I get to ride her again.

Happy riding!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Hi, Folks!

Add me to the list of very unpleasant persons when horse time is missed or interrupted. Totally agree with you that a good ride can fix the crappiest of days.

Mr. Rehab continues to get better and is trotting five long sides of the indoor each day. Best of all, he is trotting soundly! Trainer and assistant trainer said he looked and felt great today. I'm going to try to get some saddle time on him in the next few days so I can see/feel how he's progressing.

Had a lesson tonight on the lesson horse jumper. She's a pistol, but can be controlled, so she's used for lessons. I opted for the "let's get acquainted and not killed" easy lesson, but it was a lot of fun. We can do more next time if I get to ride her again.

Happy riding!
    So glad Mr. Rehab née Mr. Stall Rest is doing well!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I'd loan you mine if I can get him in a happy place!

The drama may be unfolding. Scheduled to have him out soon. They are now snarkily all over me with multiple concerns about turnout, but with an open heel wound, I've told them don't worry about it.

What's so funny is the BO's correspondences to me about how so many people are happy there. Interesting considering the frozen faces of those who are loyal, whether it be because they're employed there & need the money, or a place to keep their horse as there's really little else around. Feel sorry for the clueless parents whose child is taking lessons, or the re-rider just starting back. They, too, will look at you with kind of a puzzle on their face. But as I was castigated during the first month, we're not to be social here...

You know, I'm involved and concerned about racing as well, and it's these dysfunctional, abusive types who give horse sports a bad name. Maybe, sometimes, when you see it in the ranks, you excuse it. But when they aren't even approaching what they claim they are? Fine - keep your own horses, but don't take others money, promise to care for and protect their horses, and then let your paranoia show. Actually, however, this is a dressage/"eventing"(the latter is questionable) barn. But would it encourage me to go in that direction? Hardly.

Actually, what has me the saddest is that this is near my hometown, where I loved growing up. Up until now, I've only found the really good barns closer to the cities. Wish I could share with others in my home area what I was able to touch on when young.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

CV-Peg, after I gave notice at the dressage barn I received all kinds of e-mails from the BM, not one of them profressional. I also had to have a check up during all of that drama and my blood pressure was extremely high-scary high. Being castigated as a client is just so wrong and while i have my hands full now, I think it is better for my health.

Live and learn, it is just so hard when this is suppose to be our "happy place".

CVPeg: Congrats on finding a new place! I hope your departure will be stress and drama free!

RolyPolyPony: Hey, hey! I just started cantering again for the first time in 9 months. There's nothing wrong with not being an advanced rider. As for missing a ride, I only get to ride about 2x a week due to my schedule and location of home-barn-work. So when I miss them, I really notice it during my next ride.

As for showing: I know how you feel. I didn't mind showing when I was younger, but now, it seems especially ... daunting. But I have attended some local shows and seeing how many adult riders were present in the novice flat/crossrails kinds of courses helped my confidence. Sure, there were kids in those classes as well, but at least I know I probably won't be the only adult riding in them.

Pony4Me: So glad to hear your boy is doing better!

==

So ... I cantered Oliver yesterday! It's my first time ever cantering on him, and the first time in nearly 9 months I'd cantered at all. The last guy I rode was big and beautiful and awesome for walk-trot. But he was a bit of an ass at the canter, or so I'm told, so I never quite got around to testing him out.

Anyway, Oliver's canter was smooth, picked up the right lead all three times I cantered, and he was so easy to get going *and* he has nice brakes. If I still have a pair, er, the courage come tomorrow morning, I may give his canter another go when I go out to practice ride him. We'll for sure be working on cantering again on Monday. And after that, I've already asked to go back to doing little ground pole courses with the hopes of trotting crossrails soon!

And big props to my trainer for making me canter. Which, of course, I told her to do a few lessons back. I don't need a ton of pushing, but I do need some. And she is younger than me, so I like to remind her it's OK to beat up on me a little. I need it.
    The dude abides ...

Wooooooo hoooooooo, Opus! Way to go!

YAY! Way to go!!! THat's so exciting!
    No riding for me for the past 2 days. Rain has set in, so hopefully by tomorrow it will have dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    CV-Peg, after I gave notice at the dressage barn I received all kinds of e-mails from the BM, not one of them profressional. I also had to have a check up during all of that drama and my blood pressure was extremely high-scary high. Being castigated as a client is just so wrong and while i have my hands full now, I think it is better for my health.

Live and learn, it is just so hard when this is suppose to be our "happy place".
    I have had many more sleepless nights than sound sleeps over the past several weeks. Yours was a dressage barn, too?!? Never saw such garbage in my life. And I have several "heads on their shoulders" dressage friends, with significant talent.

Not sure if you've read the sad story about the farmer here in upstate NY who, over the weekend, shot and killed 6 of his neighbor's horses who had continually trampled his fields over the years - apparently the herd included a stallion. It's a thread under Off Course. I asked the BT this morning if she had heard about it. Her response? Laughter, and "No, but it must be a good story!"

Just gave my notice a few minutes ago that I'm out tomorrow morning. Going out to mow, then sitting here with my big dog by my side for the rest of the night. And luckily found a 3rd party to be present for when we go pick up B. So hopefully it will be a peaceful transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    Wooooooo hoooooooo, Opus! Way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    YAY! Way to go!!! THat's so exciting!
    No riding for me for the past 2 days. Rain has set in, so hopefully by tomorrow it will have dried up.
    Thanks, y'all! I'm still grinning about it. My trainer was proud, since she prodded me for 2 canters (60M straight side) and I gave her a third all on my own. Hopefully next week I'll be able to take him all the way around.

And spacytracy, if y'all don't need any more rain, we could definitely use some. It's so unnatural for it to be this dry here.

CVPeg: Happy thoughts your way! I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow and that there's no drama. Please let us know how it goes!
    The dude abides ...

CVPeg - unfortunately I know the feeling. I've had moments like that (people just totally totally ostracizing you). Thankfully, the facility I'm in a decent one, with a nice BM and if I can just manage to let all those people not affect me, it all works out. I hope you and B get moved without incident. The immaturity and cattiness of people just astounds me.

Opus - congrats on the good ride It's great that your trainer knows to push you just the right amount! Can't wait to hear about more progress!

Had a good dressage lesson (did I ever admit that I'm an aspiring eventer? Don't kick me out ....) on Tuesday with both Toby and I getting back into the swing of things. He's starting to move so nicely and I'm getting my leg strength back. There is so much for both of us to work on. Unfortunately now I have a nasty cold so I'm not sure how much saddle time (or what quality of saddle time) we're going to get in the next couple of days.

Way to go Opus!

CVPeg good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes

CVPeg-I'll be crossing my fingers for your move going well.

On a good note I'm learning so much about the baby. He is a total people horse, he still charged down the hill this evening but waited like a big boy in the cross ties for a free ring-waited for an hour ! during his turnout time in the ring he nuzzled all of the people watching and was especially attached to a young girl that was playing with him over the fence. He is so happy to be back , he just cannot be isolated and he is certainly not agressive, as i was told by the previous BM and yes, dressage trainer.

The baby knows he is home and he is loving it ! I am sooooo busy at work but I will make this work, some how. It is almost 8:00 pm and dinner is still 30 minutes away...but my horses are happy.

Dewey-I'm in rural Oklahoma...that should explain everything! Everything is western here, but I was fortunate enough to find a english trainer who had moved here from California many years ago. So I pick up all the western lingo, especially as my husband has decided he wants to rope. I can ride Western but I don't love it the way I do english. I actually showed Western in my first open show this past weekend and did quite well (on a TB, in a roping saddle).

TarheelJD- I want to eventually do hunter up to 3'6 but would also like to try some lower level dressage. His movement really would lend itself well to dressage. I have a variety of opinions on what to do...trainer says dressage to be safer and husband agrees. But I've always wanted to jump, just not very high. My horse has a good jump so training him hunter would not be too difficult.

I've had two days off and I'm suffering horse withdrawal! I had to help my son with a project Tuesday and yesterday I had to use a gift certificate for a spa day before it expired. I've got a lesson tonight and I'm going to ride for a while before and after to get some transition work in!

It's done!!

All went well. Gave notice yesterday, BO agreed to just accept per diem for this month. Early this morning met the driver and one of my friends nearby, drove to the barn. No BO or BT around!

Took about a half hour to load. TG I brought a full bag of carrots with me and I enticed him on gradually.

Uneventful trip. Stepped out of the trailer and puffed himself up. Looked at all the GREEN grass. STARED at the llamas.

Rolled and rolled and rolled. (6 times while we all stood there talking for about an hour.) Made a nice muddy patch in the wet grass.

Llamas, mini, the other 4 guys across the path & B - all seemed to accept each other.

And now I don't have to write anymore angst filled tomes! And I have myself back. Phew!

Photos to come later. Have a lot of work to do! - now that I can get back to it without so much worry!

So happy for you CVPeg. Glad everything went smoothly. Looking forward to the photos

Default Photos!

Remembered where my card reader was.
    Posted on FB. It's a pretty spot! Neglected to get pictures of most of the other horses. Should have had the camera on me when they first all lined up.

But I'd say he's settled in.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7032517&type=1

CV - YAAAAAAY!!!!!! Great photos - look at all that green grass! I'm sure he's thrilled and will be so much happier (and you will be too!). Enjoy!

CVPeg, I'm so glad the move went well.

Would love to see the pics, but I can't as I am one of the last five people in the United States without a Facebook account. Can you make the link public for me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    CVPeg, I'm so glad the move went well.

Would love to see the pics, but I can't as I am one of the last five people in the United States without a Facebook account. Can you make the link public for me? Thanks.
    I did, Dewey...not sure what else I could do?

Cv that's awesome! He looks so happy!
    I myself had a great ride today. Field was wet but we were able to set up a small X and my friend rode Lucky and I rode Leasie. Both were awesome!