The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 76 of 469 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 9367

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I am hoping by the end of this show season to take Sky to one or two away shows just to give her the experience. Right now that seems like such a huge step. It's funny--the last horse I trained, a little QH, didn't have Sky's talent but he had such a wonderful attitude. He was brave, smart, and so much fun to ride. He loved going to shows. I can't imagine him making a big deal about the stuff that gives Sky heart attacks. She got upset yesterday because someone had put a folding chair at the end of the crossties.

Opus, I love the pics. Keep them coming!

Welcome, Oreo. Please tell us more about your horse.

Congrats Dewey!!!! Always nice to get out and give good experiences!

My summer horsie is here, all is well. I don't think I'm going to post pics since he's not mine and I don't have permission. But all is well, and he is settling in nicely. I haven't ridden him yet (today, hopefully) but its nice just having them home. Last night I went out around 9 and just brushed and gave kisses. It felt so satisfying!!!

DreaminOTTB: You've hit the nail on the head! BIG trot and canter! It also doesn't help mentally that everyone that walks into the barn talks about what a big horse he is. I think I just need more patience as I have only owned him for three months. That and I need to accept that he may never be a peanut roller (and I don't want him to be, but that is what I see placing).

Dewey: My horse is a 6 year old TB gelding. Solid black although I found 7 or 8 white hairs where he almost had a star. No tattoo so he wasn't raced that we know of. The previous owners did not have a whole lot of history on him. Overall, he is an amazing horse....very calm and gentle. He was probably the only horse I've ever seen who was honestly described in his ad. The only vaguely untrue part was standing quietly for the farrier...he does on his front feet but likes to do lazy kicks at the farrier on his back feet. He is also manipulative but I knew that 30 seconds into my test ride of him!

I had a decent budget for horse shopping but was waffling about all of my options. My trainer texted me a link to his ad and said "why haven't we looked at this one?" I said "Because you told me nothing younger than 7!" I liked his video and even though he was more like a prospect than a finished push button horse, I decided to go with him. Working with him has definitely made me a better horseperson, but it can be frustrating.

I am fortunate enough to ride him every day. Our current regimen is 15 to 30 minutes ground work in the round pen or on the lunge line, then anywhere from 1 to 2 hours of riding. Riding will be anything from walk trot in the arena working on consistent speed, side passing, turns, backing, or cantering in the round pen. After cantering in the round pen, I try to take him to the arena and canter but tend to lose my nerve when I don't feel I have control of him. I also take several lessons a week, usually as many as my husband lets me get away with!

Default Success!

Everybody - good news!
    SV - put the wine on to chill!

Met new BO yesterday at little show. I didn't think we had gelled that well when I chatted with her. But we set up a time to get together today anyway.

Totally different experience today. We could not stop yakking.

Went to the old barn first. B was stocked up from 15 hours in the field. He also was yesterday morning - pointed it out to BT to ask if it should be a concern - especially going from 0 to 15 hours on grass. She couldn't even tell, although his legs were warm and filled more than halfway up his cannons. Spoke with the vet, and she reiterated this horse needed to be on regular turnout, and gave me further instructions for treating him.

Got to see blacksmith today - very highly regarded, & a big supporter who has been behind me since the initial BO blast.

I soaked B's legs. Found a large gash across the bulb of one of his rear feet. Blood on his halter. The halter had obviously been put back on him as it was not on the same holes. But did anyone let me know? Of course not. The BO does the morning feedings and bringing them in from pasture... Of course, she notices less than the BT.

Then visited the new place. New BO has 4 horses, a mini, and 2 llamas. B will be wigged out! But the best thing is he will have his own pasture with a stall/run-in. To come and go whenever he wants. Her indoor is pretty decent for out here in the boonies. We will have each other to ride with. I met the trainer who comes occasionally to visit yesterday at their little show, and she seems very nice - old school - common sense - supportive. Loads of lovely roads to walk along, when B is ready to do trails quietly once again!

It is the kind of place, and we were chatting about this as I left, where we can get out the lawn chairs, and sit and watch the horses graze. The other place? Well, you couldn't get out of Dodge fast enough...

I am still not totally out of the woods. Determining specifics for giving notice tonight. Trying to line up trailer. First 2 calls only have 2 horse trailers which are not large enough for B.

If I have to, I may hop on him tomorrow and begin the 9 mile hike right over there!!

Whoppee!!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

CV, I really hope this works out for you! Sounds ideal!!!

CV - SOOOOO excited for you! I kept smiling while reading your post! The new place sounds so much better for you and B - no more drama and place where B can really get some turnout and the care he needs! Keep us updated on how it goes!

Oreo - that is great that you can ride so much. A consistent program is so key. Has your trainer put you on the longe at all? I found that to be incredibly helpful in improving my own balance and learning how to match rhythm with my horse. Just an idea. Any pics of your horse to share?

CV-peg: wine is chilling. My new guy came storming down the hill Sunday morning alittle fresh and chilled down just fine in the cross ties. Now the girls teaching don't want to take that first ride with him.

I'm so busy at work but Thursday I will be riding my guy. I guess I'm OK but really.... they are so intimidated ? I turned him out in the ring and got a couple of bucks and a lot of ground sniffing...This really is my project, wish i had a trainer to lean on but such is life and drama will be my own.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    CV-peg: wine is chilling. My new guy came storming down the hill Sunday morning alittle fresh and chilled down just fine in the cross ties. Now the girls teaching don't want to take that first ride with him.

I'm so busy at work but Thursday I will be riding my guy. I guess I'm OK but really.... they are so intimidated ? I turned him out in the ring and got a couple of bucks and a lot of ground sniffing...This really is my project, wish i had a trainer to lean on but such is life and drama will be my own.
    SV - this was almost literally what I've had - a handful of green horse, with not the best support for training. I've done my own in the past, but they usually had a little bit underneath them between the track and me (had not been perhaps as competitive as B was on the track) - and I've had outstanding trainers where I've boarded in years' past. And of course all those years between then, and re-riding!

At this current barn, the BT is solely dressage, and they advertise and charge for training of green horses for all purposes, but she was really of little use to me. Could teach a lesson with me on him, and for some reason, B is better behaved in a lesson situation. But she was of little value when it came to getting to the bottom of him, and she and BO were actually counter productive to our moving ahead. I don't tend to believe conspiracy theories, but as I write this, I almost wonder if all this sordid behavior and failure to turnout was to prohibit my success since I wasn't paying them training fees, just board and lessons while I did my own work with him.

Another OTTB came in for training at the exact same time, and as I was trying to overcome bad longeing behavior by B, I bristled when BT bragged about running the other horse into the ground after a 45 minute session.

So initially I had ridden B into better shape, which made him more of a challenge. But BT's observations didn't help this new "freshness". After consulting an outsider with very significant OTTB experience, and reading a lot on these forums, I started all over again with ground work from the very beginning, making sure B really listened to commands, and to me. Then realized he really hadn't been listening to me. So - beginning with walk/halt/walk/halt. Good job, end of session. Then when the first is done right, to walk/halt/walk/trot/walk and so on.

BT even said to me one day "well, you really can't do that much with ground work". Really?!? He has quieted down considerably, despite their prohibiting him from turnout. Canter still a challenge, and for that, will be having others come in from the outside on occasion.

If you can just start out very gradually, and fight any outside resistance to move ahead too fast if you feel the communication just isn't there yet, you'll accomplish a great deal. And I'm not a conservative rider necessarily. Just have learned that within the din of naysayers, that you do what's right for you, and your guy.

Take your time. And ENJOY him! That's the best part. When I was at this barn, with no one around, I could indulge. But when the naysayers flew in on their brooms, it would ruin everything positive you get from this sport/indulgence/life. I'm looking forward to mostly smiles from here on in.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by oreothemountaindog View Post
    DreaminOTTB: You've hit the nail on the head! BIG trot and canter! It also doesn't help mentally that everyone that walks into the barn talks about what a big horse he is. I think I just need more patience as I have only owned him for three months. That and I need to accept that he may never be a peanut roller (and I don't want him to be, but that is what I see placing).

Dewey: My horse is a 6 year old TB gelding. Solid black although I found 7 or 8 white hairs where he almost had a star. No tattoo so he wasn't raced that we know of. The previous owners did not have a whole lot of history on him. Overall, he is an amazing horse....very calm and gentle. He was probably the only horse I've ever seen who was honestly described in his ad. The only vaguely untrue part was standing quietly for the farrier...he does on his front feet but likes to do lazy kicks at the farrier on his back feet. He is also manipulative but I knew that 30 seconds into my test ride of him!

I had a decent budget for horse shopping but was waffling about all of my options. My trainer texted me a link to his ad and said "why haven't we looked at this one?" I said "Because you told me nothing younger than 7!" I liked his video and even though he was more like a prospect than a finished push button horse, I decided to go with him. Working with him has definitely made me a better horseperson, but it can be frustrating.

I am fortunate enough to ride him every day. Our current regimen is 15 to 30 minutes ground work in the round pen or on the lunge line, then anywhere from 1 to 2 hours of riding. Riding will be anything from walk trot in the arena working on consistent speed, side passing, turns, backing, or cantering in the round pen. After cantering in the round pen, I try to take him to the arena and canter but tend to lose my nerve when I don't feel I have control of him. I also take several lessons a week, usually as many as my husband lets me get away with!
    Your use of the term "peanut roller" makes me wonder if you are at a Western barn...? I'm just curious.

Your horse sounds lovely, and it sounds to me as if you are on the right track with the daily work you are doing. I wish I could ride every day! I know what you mean about being intimidated by the big canter. Before I started riding Sky, my BO had me on a big 3-year-old warmblood she was trying to get trained to sell...the horse had a huge canter and to top it off, he would buck if the rider used too much leg. I had to nerve myself up to ask for the canter...once I did it, though, the canter was just lovely.

I suggest continuing what you are doing, but add lots of circles and serpentines at the trot in the large arena, changing the bend and working on getting your horse collected and well under you. Balance is key for both of you so he won't feel so strung out and out of control at the canter and to give you more confidence. Work without stirrups in the round pen will do more than anything else to strengthen your position, too. Good luck!

CVPeg, what wonderful news! I'm excited for you! Please keep us posted about the move (I know you will), and here's hoping you get out of the barn-from-Hell with minimal drama!

Oreo - I so, so wish I could ride every day. But that just isn't possible with my schedule and the need to keep him outside of the city (becaue there is no where in the city with decent turn out). I couldn't agree more wth oTTB and Dewey. I have had very limited time to ride lately, but I've been spending some of it on the longe line, and it has done a world of good for my seat. And it has allowed me to start getting comfortable with using spurs -- I was always worried I'd jam my horse in the side with them, but riding with them on the longe line has made me realize that my leg is better than I was giving it credit for, and I have enough control not to cause any havoc with them. I am now a fan -- amazing the refinement you can get with them. And the cicles, serpentines, etc. at the trot are good for your horse physically and mentally. What would you like to ultimately do with your horse?

CVPeg -- glad to hear it looks like you have found a new barn! If it is safe to do so, I would ride him to the new place too, if that is the only way you can get him out of the awful situation ya'll are currently in! I would be beyond livid if I came to the barn and my horse had a bloody halter on him, and I knew someone had seen it, and done nothing and didn't tell me about it.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I've been reading, but not posting as y'all still put me to shame as I trot my part-lease schoolie over crossrails, but I needed to post this where people would understand - I had to cancel tonight's lesson because I feel miserable from insane allergies, and I am just so sad about it! DH is sympathetic, but doesn't quite understand the depths of my despair!

Thank goodness I do have my part-lease so I'll get to have my practice ride on Friday, at least!

Roly, we understand! I'm bummed because its raining today so that means no riding and that the horses can't be out on the grass today.

Rode Leasie yesterday after work, short workout but it was very good. he was a little fresh so I lunged him beforehand but he was fine, a buck or two here and there but no taking off. Was his usual sluggy self and I did a little cantering. My field isn't really great for jumping much, but I can usually fit a vertical or two in there, so I might set up some jumps for next time.

I'm going to try to get on a daily riding schedule, ride one every other day or maybe even every day if I can.

I have off for the summer starting in three weeks which will make this much more do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by RolyPolyPony View Post
    I've been reading, but not posting as y'all still put me to shame as I trot my part-lease schoolie over crossrails, but I needed to post this where people would understand - I had to cancel tonight's lesson because I feel miserable from insane allergies, and I am just so sad about it! DH is sympathetic, but doesn't quite understand the depths of my despair!

Thank goodness I do have my part-lease so I'll get to have my practice ride on Friday, at least!
    I hate missing a ride. It happens sometimes because of work commitments or weather, but I hate it. I always feel deprived and cranky.

I knew people here would understand!

In less depressing news, last week I did talk to my trainer about maybe doing a show this season, and the thought is NOT terrifying me! It'd probably be just Long Stirrup, but since it'd be my first real show in almost 20 years, I won't be too ashamed I'm kind of amazed that I _want_ to do it - by the time I stopped riding before college, I hate showing of any sort with a fiery passion.

Good for you, RolyPoly! Wanting to do it is the key. If it's not fun, why do it? But it can be fun to push ourselves a bit--and having a goal in mind is good for lots of us.

Congratulations on wanting to show, RPP. Let us know how it goes for you. You shouldn't be at all ashamed of showing at a level where you feel comfortable. I'm personally interested in how you like it, as you said that you hate showing. My trainer has been pestering me for the last two years to show in long stirrup, and I've always said no. Now there's a new class or division in the local schooling show for adults on ponies, and I foolishly said I'd consider it. Now she's pestering me even more! I've really never had any desire to show, but perhaps your experience will encourage me.

CVPeg, glad you've found a new "home", I hope it all continues to go well for you there. My barn has some issues (run down property, poor maintenance, no grass), but since the trainer leases it from an owner who's not very vested in taking care of the property, those things are not likely to change. But it's a barn full of really warm, wonderful people that I enjoy, and the horses are well cared for, so I know I'll stay.

@Hinderella - I'll certainly update when if happens (oohh, I said "when," not "if"!) I find it especially interesting because at my previous barn my instructor was always trying to get me to show and I wanted nothing to do with it - I think I'm maybe more comfortable at this barn and feel less like everyone will laugh at me if I do poorly? Ok, not that anyone at the old place really WOULD have, but my brain isn't always rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I hate missing a ride. It happens sometimes because of work commitments or weather, but I hate it. I always feel deprived and cranky.
    DITTO!!!! That's why my husband hates it when I can't get out to the barn -- I am not very pleasant to be around.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Pretty much everyone around me knows EXACTLY when I've missed time at the barn. I admit to being awful to be around when recuperating from the injuries and having to miss weeks/months out of the saddle and days/weeks at a time from the barn. At one point, I had people ordering me to go visit Toby.

We need our horse time.