The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 74 of 468 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 9356

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminOTTB View Post
    I have red, wavy/curly, thick hair ... and it NEVER does what you want it to! I'll trade anyone for obedient hair! My helmet is huge because I can't get all my hair under anything normal sized!
    I would make that trade! Would gladly go up a helmet size or two!

Here's a family pic from about five years ago. My son's hair is shorter now but just as curly as ever.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/familyNH.jpg

How's Toby?

great pics everyone thanks for posting

Spacytracy Way. Too. Cute.

Dewey - your son and I look like we could be related :-P

Here is a picture of Toby and I (first time trying to add a picture so if it doesn't work, please let me know ... I'm trying!):

http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/...ennCloseUp.jpg

Toby is doing well - no colic symptoms at all. I'm worried about some ongoing arthritis issues, but it's sporadic and just sort of seems to affect his way of going, but not exactly HOW he feels (ie: he just LOOKS off, but not all the time, and he never refuses or hesitates about moving, unless it's picking up the right lead, and he never trips or goes head-bobbing lame). Sigh. It's always something. Chiropractor is supposed to be out soon, so that's my next step. Just frustrating because he gets very excited about working out in the field, going over small jumps in the field, but if he isn't completely sound, I don't want to let him do that kind of work and risk further injury or issue. I love the OTTB for so many reasons, but this is not one of them!

I would respond to more, but I am exhausted and I can't keep my eyes open! I hope everyone is having a good week so far!

Lovely pictures. Hair color is so funny with kids, my hair is dark and my daughter is blonde.....The postman always rings twice comes to mind.

I am 3 days away from having my boy home....hope I can get my real work done before Saturday !

Love the pic, dreamin. Your hair is gorgeous! And the two of you look lovely together.

I am sorry Toby has soundness issues. I guess you have to decide how much pain he is really in. It would be so much easier if they could talk, wouldn't it?

However, he may end up being what my BO calls "serviceably sound"; that is, rarely quite 100% but able to be used for most everyday riding activities.

Dewey: Thanks for the comments on the Plymouth bridle! I think I'll pick one up for lessons and practice rides, then I may upgrade to a nicer Smartpak bridle for showing. But unlike spacytracy, I'll have to order a cobb size for Oliver, as he has a horse body, but a pony head. The throat-latch and noseband (and flash) are all on the last hole when he's in my trainers horse bridle.

dreaminOTTB: Your boy is cute!! And yes, the shopping thing is addictive, but I'm to the point where I don't need anything else. Well, I did pick up a pair of sports medicine boots Monday. I still need a hunter bridle and bit, but beyond that, I'm all out of things to buy. Which is good -- but it's also a little scary. My god, what all have I bought? But they've all been practical purchases.

Natalie: When I went back to riding, I spent 2 months looking for barns in my area to ride at. And my only requirements be that the place had safe, appropriate lesson horses and the trainer have solid experience in hunters and equitation. It came down between two barns.

One was much nicer, more established with more experienced trainers and had kids and adults showing in big shows. The other was a 20-something who was just starting out as a trainer with a decent resume, a couple of lesson horses and a small barn she was leasing. I rode with the latter pick first and told myself if I didn't like her after a month, I'd go to the other place. Well, 16 months later, and I'm still with my 'second' pick.

So, until you can find the perfect barn, it might be necessary to write down what you think are the most important aspects of a barn or program and go from there.

===

I will be going back out to the barn on Saturday (work and weather permitting) , and will lesson with Oliver again on Monday -- and I will hopefully be cantering him for the first time.

This past lesson was good, but the weather/conditions were BAD. The wind was about 15 mph, in a sand dressage ring, whipping up dust, it was in the 50s, plus all the pollen we've been drowning in since February, AND the smoke from local prescribed burnings AND Oliver's shedding like crazy.

On the drive back home, I thought my head and/or nose was going to fall off.
    The dude abides ...

Toby is gorgeous!!! He has a noble head.

SpacyTracy, the pictures are SO cute! That hair is out of control!

Tarheel, the MicroTek stuff is awesome. Their line of products really do a great job. Hopefully you get more riding time in -- and yes, it's important to have personal time!

I'm healing up really well. Most of the time I don't even feel the breaks which can be a problem. If I forget to take my advil before a ride I get really winded really quickly. Working on building up the core again is rough too.
    Paisley is a superstar! He got his hind shoes and is 100% sound again. We're teaching him flying lead changes and he's sooo smart. Within one 1 hr lesson he figured out what we were trying to ask and he did it! We need to just reinforce how we ask now and he's got it. He's such a good boy! I love this horse. He's got a personality like a puppy dog and is just as willing to please.

I just have trouble getting consistent over fences...it's not that I can't see my distances, it's that I can't ride them and do a million things at once to the fence consistently. Most of the time I am trying so hard to two-point, heels down/forward, outside supporting rein, leg on, GO for the distance, look around to the next jump...it's just too much and I end up missing one piece of the puzzle. Then the jump isn't 100% and I lose confidence which translates to my horse. It's bad. *sigh* I know part of it is in my head but I don't know how to just get over it and let it happen.

Pancakes - I have the SAME issues over fences! I seriously could have written that myself! In my head, I know EXACTLY what I have to do, but then when I go to put it all together, I end up missing some piece of the puzzle. How is your horse over fences? If he's fairly solid/packer type, I found it helpful to go over a single at a manageable height and repeat that over and over to work on specific things I miss. As things have been coming together, I start adding in more complex exercises/courses. It helps that Toby has hunter and lesson horse experience and so he just hops over the little xrails without a care. He's pretty consistent no matter what set of fences you toss at him (granted, we're only working at xrails/18"). It helps me work on myself

Opus - I am horrible at shopping for Toby/riding gear. Just when I think I'm done, I find something else to get . I'm headed to Rolex this weekend and the shopping there is just great ... and oh, so tempting.

Stolen - Pictures please when your boy comes home!

Here is one more picture of Toby and me (so you can see all of him). It is from the one schooling show we've been able to do, last October. It was between broken legs for me :-P

http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/...rFlatClass.jpg

That's a lovely picture, Dreamin!!! You guys look great together. Very harmonious and soft looking.

Toby sounds really solid over the jumps. Paisley is just learning -- he's only 1 month over fences and though we're doing ground poles, crossrails, and 2' verticals, he's still green. I ride my trainer's jumper mare who will take you over anything and who can win at WEF, but we can't do the repetitive thing too much. She figures out what you're doing then gets rush-y because she gets it and wants the next thing. A TRUE jumper! So I guess it doesn't help that I'm on a horse that is willing and will jump almost anywhere that you put him, but I don't want to be a hindrance to him, I want to help him learn and be a good teacher. It is HARD to keep it together though! Sometimes I think it was easier when I was younger and didn't think about things so much. I don't remember ever to needing to tell myself to two-point or anything like that...*sigh*

Opus, the cob runs small in the Plymouth.

I'd email Smartpak and ask if they can send you dimensions. Maybe they would be willing to send a cob bridle with horse cheek pieces or something--or maybe not since it is such a cheap bridle.

But the QH I trained for my BO (and who normally wears a cob-sized bridle and martingale) got one of the new Plymouths in a cob, and it barely fits him--almost too small, especially the cavesson, which is on the last hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    But the QH I trained for my BO (and who normally wears a cob-sized bridle and martingale) got one of the new Plymouths in a cob, and it barely fits him--almost too small, especially the cavesson, which is on the last hole.
    Thanks for letting me know! In that case, I may go ahead and get the horse-sized bridle, and if it doesn't quite fit, also order a cob and cannibalize them both to get the right fit. I mean, they're cheap enough.

==

Stupid horse question:

What's the difference between a D-ring and an eggbutt bit? Is one less harsh than the other? And are eggbutts legal in the hunter ring?
    The dude abides ...

Opus - I think an eggbutt is designed to prevent pinching of horse lips, and a D-ring is designed to get the bit's joints even farther from the horses lips than an eggbutt. I think with respect to severity (tongue and bar pressure) they are basically the same.

I am pretty sure eggbutts are legal in the hunter ring, but not the norm and some of the snotty-er people at shows may comment on it in a not-so-nice way. You never know when you might get a judge, who all things being equal, would pin a horse with a more "conventional" d ring bit higher than an eggbutt.

But I am far from an expert, so I could be wrong about any of the above!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Not a bit expert here, either. If it doesn't go in a snaffle, and more importantly, STOP in one, I probably shouldn't be on it. Most of the bits I see in the hunters are the D-rings.

Mr. Rehab is coming along slowly, but that's ok. My trainer was concerned enough with his first trot steps last Friday that she had the vet out to watch him trot today. He just got new shoes today, and he was fine. The vet was very happy. I think what the trainer was feeling was more attributable to long toes than anything else. I got to ride him for the rest of his 20 minute rehab ride today, but trainer didn't want me trotting since he is not getting any ace for his rides, and she didn't want to take any chances of something exciting him. So we just plugged along at the walk, but it was nice to be on him again.

Enjoy the longer days, and nice riding weather, everyone!
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post
    Thanks for letting me know! In that case, I may go ahead and get the horse-sized bridle, and if it doesn't quite fit, also order a cob and cannibalize them both to get the right fit. I mean, they're cheap enough.

==

Stupid horse question:

What's the difference between a D-ring and an eggbutt bit? Is one less harsh than the other? And are eggbutts legal in the hunter ring?
    After I posted before, I thought I probably should have suggested ordering one bridle in each size.

An eggbutt is perfectly legal. I don't know when it became the unwritten rule to use a D ring. TI can say it here (I try not to on the other threads), but these fashion rules bug the c**p out of me. I would say it matters not the slightest in any show but a big one, and even then, I can't imagine a judge would penalize you--I think the only ones who would say anything are the snotty types referenced above. I read through the threads about whether or not one can dare to use a breastplate--black saddle--gray jacket--whatever in the hunter ring, and I can hardly believe the paranoia. Give me a break, people!! OK, rant over.

I use a full-cheek. It's just as gentle as the others, and I prefer the way it looks. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post

==

Stupid horse question:

Opus - I certainly do not show in rated shows (though that would be nice someday), but I show in a local schooling series that uses a hunter format/judging. I'm with Dewey in that the fashion rules drive me nuts. I hate that a nice, well kept/polished pair of paddock boots and half chaps (instead of tall boots) can cause a rider to be not be pinned. So, now off THAT soap-box, while I see quite a few riders use D-rings, I've noticed that there actually tends to be a variety at our local shows: LOTS of loose rings, some eggbutts, some full-cheeks, and occasionally pelhams (usually using converters) and other leverage type bits. I actually saw someone use a kimberwick once. Now, this is a very, very low level schooling show series and the judges tend to lean more towards education rather than throwing the rule book at people - if someone shows up in something "illegal" they are still allows to show and may even pin, though how high they pin depends on the individual judge. The judge usually lets them know what they need to change before going to a higher level show.

I personally have almost always shown in a double-jointed loose ring (either French link or copper-oval link), but also a D-ring (either single or double jointed, depending on the horse).

Sorry, that ended up being a lot more than I intended to write!

~~~~~

I had the most amazing ride tonight. For only being back in the saddle a week - and my legs certainly are yelling at me for it - I am THRILLED with our progress. The stiffness Toby had earlier in the week was gone tonight and we had an "eye to eye" moment on his right lead canter which has been a major sticking point for us. It wasn't a long ride at all, but we ended with getting three soft right lead transitions in a row. Love him! Sorry, had to share with someone!

Happy Friday All!

Pancakes - glad you are healing up. Better living through chemistry!

Dreamin - Toby is beautiful and you two look so in sync!

I ride Finn in an egg butt french link - just looks better on him than the D.

Got to ride for a bit on Wednesday evening - Finn was pretty good. I managed to ride through two near disasters: First, he lost his balance on a turn (dork) and we almost went down, but didn't and I stayed on. Later, he decided to SPOOK at nothing - as usual - and I managed to ride through that as well. The secret I have discovered is to keep my leg on him, at all times. He needs to feel me up there and if I don't have leg on him he seems to think I have been abducted by aliens!

Have a good weekend all!
    And nothing bad happened!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone!!

Right now, he's in a loose-ring French link -- and doing well -- and my trainer suggested I get a French link in a D-Ring, although I think I may try the eggbutt (with French link) and see how he does. It seems like the eggbutt is the in-between of the loose-ring and the D-Ring. If he does well on that, I'll either

As for Hunter trends ... On a personal level, it all seems a little asinine. If I want to wear a grey helmet instead of black, I shouldn't be penalized for it. But then there's that part of me that remembers how precise my old equitation coach was in college, and how he had a preference for every. single. thing. you wore. And since he was an 'R' judge, it scared me into submission, if you will. Especially since you don't get scored the way you do in other disciplines and everything is so subjective.

I figure I have schooling dressage and schooling jumpers to play with colors and bits and all of that.

==

My Cashel withers pad just came in the mail today, so I'm going out to the barn to ride Oliver tomorrow and try it out. It'll be my first time on him without my trainer watching my every move. Should be interesting!
    The dude abides ...

The cob is small. I had to order a horse size for my pony. Granted, he has a kind of "hone-ey" head, but even still, he's not THAT big. I love the bridle. It was soft from the get-go, and I'm sure has softened even more.

The baby comes home at about 2:00 pm PT on saturday. Yah ! I have his supplements, new halter, water tub, new lead rope, paddock flowers and spring vacs scheduled. I cannot wait !Trainer promised that she has more time to help me here at this barn, I just need to find a couple of other clients which I think I can do.

Oh, ya I set up a photobucket account, so pictures hopefully will be up on saturday. I am hoping that I ride and show again that is the current plan, we shall see how those goals are met.

This is my third horse and I am so excited. Pictures should be available soon !

Ugh, can't sleep. Pls excuse if this is incoherent. LOL

Pancakes -- I agree w/ Dreaming -- so totally could have wriiten this!
    "I just have trouble getting consistent over fences...it's not that I can't see my distances, it's that I can't ride them and do a million things at once to the fence consistently. Most of the time I am trying so hard to two-point, heels down/forward, outside supporting rein, leg on, GO for the distance, look around to the next jump...it's just too much and I end up missing one piece of the puzzle. Then the jump isn't 100% and I lose confidence which translates to my horse. It's bad. *sigh* I know part of it is in my head but I don't know how to just get over it and let it happen"
    I work with a mental coach to get over some fear issues I have, and one thing she has had me do is narrow my focus to one thing at a time. I get a bit overwhelmed when there's 18 pieces to think about, so I now just forget about the distance and focus on my canter. Just getting the magic canter can be the biggest part of the whole thing. And as Dreaming said, concentrating on doing this over one or two fences/poles at a time until you can replicate it successfully reasonably often is a great exercise. I've gone back to that and find that it's helped a ton.

Good luck!
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress