The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 72 of 321 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 6415

CV - I am so sorry for you! Keep looking and hopefully a (much) better place will show up soon! I hate seeing (and hearing) people talk/text about you when you're standing right there. Behavior like that belongs back in middle school. I have to convince myself sometimes that when people act like that it's because their social-emotional skills didn't develop beyond middle-school/junior high. Keep your head up - you're doing the right thing!

abv - Glad to hear your daughter handled her pony so well. Maybe she should teach some of the people at CV's barn about maturity!

Pony4Me - congrats about the good vet visit! And I LOVE your idea about scattering the carrots in the turnout! We are still on our winter turnout schedule of turnout every other day (two barns and we share winter pastures while the other pastures rest for the late spring through fall seasons). On their "in" days, they can spend some time in our mud/dry lots as well as an hour in our small grass paddocks (if the ground is dry enough). I bet my guy would LOVE a carrot hunt when he gets turnout in the dry lots! What a great idea!

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment as the legs (both) are not doing as well as hoped. Pain and swelling in both which means no riding as it's just too much. Laying down and icing the knees as I type. Just .... frustrating.

I cannot believe how long it has been since I've had time to catch up on this thread! Unfortunately, I haven't had much time at the barn either. I can't tell you all how much I miss my horse fix!

CVPeg - I cannot believe everything you have been going through - seriously crazy. I think I would have lost it with those people.

DOTTB - sorry about your surgery and post op discomfort. Hope you feel better soon.

Pony4me - scary about the emergency vet visit, but sounds like all's well that ends well. And great news on the trotting well for the vet.

To everyone else, thanks for sharing your trials and triumphs.

I am hoping to make it to the barn Friday, Saturday and Sunday to get in a few lessons in a row. It is killing me that show season is starting, and I am so so far from being ready to go to any. Maybe I'll get to do some shows in the late summer or early fall.

Hope everyone has a great riding weekend!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Just a pop in post:

-- CVPeg: I hope everything gets sorted out soon for you! I've been keeping up with all that's been happening and it's crazy how boarding situations can get.

-- Pony4Me: That's a cool idea about the carrots. I never would have thought to do that.

-- Everyone else: I've been reading every post as I pop in, but there hasn't been a whole lot of time for responding. Apologies!

==

So ... I will be 1/2 leasing Oliver -- a teenage grey OTTB -- starting this Monday. I've only rode him once, but it's not as if I'm looking to do anything beyond W-T-C and maybe some crossrails this summer. And it's a month-to-month lease, so if he doesn't work out, there's no problem with me walking away.

He was a very good boy. He's just 16 hands -- which makes him the shortest horse I've rode since last summer. And let me tell you -- mounting is SO much easier. And there's not as far to fall. He's a dapple turned flea bitten grey, he's got a cute face and he's very laid back. He's also a smidgen lazy, but that's a good thing. Once he gets going, he's solid and he's pretty responsive.

I will need a wither pad and/or shimable pad to help my saddle fit him better, as well as some additional grooming items and products. His tail and his little forelock are wispy thin, so I'll have to work on that. But everything else is good to go!
    The dude abides ...

Yay Opus1. That sounds great! Get some MTG for that tail, and some rubber gloves to put on when you use it so your hands don't smell like burned bacon!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Congrats Opus!!! How exciting! Looking forward to photos of the two of you!!

Congrats Opus! That is awesome! I'm excited for you. Pics??

CVPeg - I don't know how these people don't *get it*. I can feel your frustration.

Sorry I've been out of it for a while guys! You all have so much stuff going on... work was horrendous last weekend and I was recovering from that. Thank you for your well wishes! Speedy healing to anyone else injured (equine or otherwise).

I'm feeling almost 100% again...still some occasional shortness of breath and pain here and there, but it's not a problem with a few advil. The new horse is still a little ouchy from his bruised foot but he got hind shoes so he should be feeling good again soon. Then we can start jumping! He actually looks for his distances. What a good boy.

Yesterday and today I rode my trainer's jumper mare. She is *awesome* to ride and jump. She does collection so well, is super smooth, loves to jump anything, and is great for me to focus on equitation. She makes me feel confident about jumping again.

Thanks y'all!

TarheelJD: How often would you apply it? I was also thinking about getting him some Grand Coat supplement (after checking with my trainer, of course) that should also help his little tail grow out some.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Congrats Opus! That is awesome! I'm excited for you. Pics??
    I just have the one my trainer posted, but I don't think she'd mind.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8...800/oliver.jpg
    The dude abides ...

Congratulations, Opus! He's cute! His tail doesn't look that bad. However, you might want to try feeding him some flax seed. I heard that is good to encourage hair growth.

My daughter leased a horse with a very wispy tail--the best thing, we found, was to always pick his tangles out by hand and never use a brush, which tends to break the hairs.

Wow, Opus - he looks so much like my friend's horse! He's a flea-bitten grey TB, also with a wispy tail! She does what Dewey suggests and is VERY careful about picking tangles out. I also love MTG, though I've never used it on a tail (used it to regrow some hair when he developed a random bald spot - we think from the crazy early hot weather causing odd shedding). And, if he's the shortest horse you've ridden, what KIND of horses have you been riding?!? My guy is 15.3 which I realize is just a nice medium size, and since I'm short myself, 16hh seems pretty tall! I do love the tall guys though!

Tarheel - good luck with your lessons this weekend! Hopefully you're not too sore after all that! How far away are you from showing? Any chance you could get out and do some easy classes at a schooling show somewhere, just to get out and do something? I think that might be our plan next month. We won't be anywhere near where I want us to be, but just to get out and do some light show experience (probably W/T only!).

Pancakes - yay for feeling better! Take care at the same time too, don't push too hard!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Such a cute face, Opus!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    My daughter leased a horse with a very wispy tail--the best thing, we found, was to always pick his tangles out by hand and never use a brush, which tends to break the hairs.
    Ditto this. For the MTG -- every other day seems to be good (but even once a week can make a difference and is worth the effort). Make sure you work it into the dock of his tail/tail bone, under the tail hair. The MTG, in combination with rarely using a brush, really helped my horses tail.

dOTTB: If all goes according to plan this weekend - I will definitely be sore. And that is a good thing! It sounds crazy, but I miss that feeling - it signifies progress in some weird way. I hope I can do a small schooling show with a friend the weekend of May 5, or maybe May 19 if we can't get it together by the 5th. We'll see how it goes over the next 3 days! We may do W/T only, or W/T/C one at a time. Start back slow!

Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all! I probably won't show him until June or July, so I have time to get his tail ready. I'm also hoping some steady riding will help muscle him out a little more.

I picked up some grooming things today -- shedding blade, curved sweat scraper, wash mitt, comb, MTG and some brightening shampoo. Luckily, the barn has a lot of sand, but no red clay that I've seen.

dreaminOTTB: The horse I've rode since August: 17'2 OTTB, 17'2 Dutch Warmblood, 16'2 Irish. So, yes, the 16'0 guy is the shortest thing I've rode in a while. Before all of these, I was riding a 15'3 QH and a 15'3 OTTB. I do LOVE the view from the back of a 17'2h horse -- but the getting on and getting off takes some courage.

Tarheel: Have fun at your show! Unless I progress at a rapid pace, I'll be doing W-T classes for a while myself. Luckily, there's a good number of adults here who also do WT classes.
    The dude abides ...

Hi, all - well every day there is still some other issue, or resistance. Someone said dysfunctional, and I'd say that describes it exactly. So bad, I now can't help but just laugh. Not going to go into more, except B had 3 days of turnout, and is already back to 2 in a pen...head/desk.

I'm biding my time until a good situation is available, and have turned the corner, deciding to play their little game and now have my cell phone on me when there! I make texts, calls, etc. Funny thing is, that they understand and look concerned about! Brother...

Really busy week - friend just bought a farm nearby but it needs loads of work. He has racehorses, mares & foals, even a stallion, and some retiring. Thinks he'll be in in a month. I've been offered a spot, but I'm afraid it may take longer. And frankly, hope to find some place with camaradarie, but at least it's an option!

dreamin - sorry about the bum knees still. Hope you can be back aboard sooner than later.

Tarheel - hope you can coordinate more time riding so that those shows fall into place!

Pancakes - so glad you're almost better. Must have been very cool to ride your trainer's mare.

And Opus! What a doll! Love the face! He looks like a love. There was a grey Oliver - a lesson horse in my old show barn years ago. Have fun!

Everyone have a great weekend!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Very cute, Opus! Hope you have a great time with your new guy.

Tarheel, may you get blissfully lost in lesson overload. A hot bath, glass of wine and a couple of ibuprofens are your friends.

Peg, no advice, just sending positive thoughts your way. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Or so I've been told.

The big TB formerly known as Mr. Stall Rest has been renamed Mr. Rehab. He's had four days of walk only, and trainer plans to trot him a bit today, with another trainer watching so one person can feel and the other can observe. If he's ok, then he will get 20 minutes per day of mostly walk, with gradually increasing trot work.

Cold and rainy today, so our lesson was indoors. The horses felt great, probably due to temperature drop and no turnout this morning. It's nice when the 21 year old schoolie you're riding is happy and full of energy. Spouse went to an Earth Day picnic, so I have peace and quiet for a few hours.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Opus - Oliver looks so huggable! Congrats.

CVPeg - Good for you conducting such important business at the barn so as to avoid the idiots.

Pony4me - Hooray for the newly renamed Mr. Rehab!

Dreamin and Pancakes - feel better quick!

Tarheel - hoping for more saddle time for you!

Did not get to ride after work at all this week: pulled a muscle in my back; had an ortho appt on Wed - yay for arthritis and had to take the dog to the vet on Friday.

But, today I rode my boy! I still get amazed that I can walk out into the pasture with Finn's halter, no treats, and as I get closer to him, he pulls his head out of the round bale and comes to meet me.

My trainer was giving lessons in the arena. So, the only place to ride was the jump field - not fenced. And the only mounting block was the small one. The old me probably would not have ridden until the arena was free. So, I found a piece of "high" ground next to a "hole". Block on the high, Finn in the hole and up I went. He actually stood better than he does in the ring - lol. Well, he was just a superstar. My trainer has a dressage book that says something about when you ride, listen to the birds, listen to the wind, etc. I listened to the birds (we have lots) and realized that I was very relaxed, but riding, and Finn's ears were just flopping on his head. Woot!
    And nothing bad happened!

Unhappy Good thoughts this way, please?

Got to the barn this afternoon and Toby was colicking. Not horribly, but pawing, ignoring his food, looking listless, etc. I went to ask another boarder when he had been brought in from being on grass and a minute later, was called back over to his stall as he had gone down.

Got him up, gave a dose of Banamine and started walking. Some gut sounds/gas, but mainly he just looked uncomfortable. Walked for a good 40 minutes, but no manure. After about an hour of the Banamine he was interested in his grass hay again and seems to be back to his old self.

I came home to rest for a little, but will be back to check on him soon. I'm just concerned as his major medical colic started just like this a few months ago. Started like a simple minor colic then a few days later we were headed down to Rood and Riddle with a very, very sick horse. I'm trying hard not to think about it.

Dreamin: So sorry about the colicky guy, I know I have been there several times. Glad I live 3 minutes from the barn for that very reason. Hope all goes well, I don't know of any horse who doesn't have a colicky few days in their life.

dOTTB: I am so very sorry to hear that Toby's gut is bugging him. Lots of positive thoughts for him - hopefully he is through the woods! And lots of positive thoughts for you, I know it must be really stressful for you to see him in distress.

I know all the re-riders will sending good vibes!

Jingles for Toby!!!

dreamin' - thinking of Toby! hope he'll be ok today. jingles for him, and keeping you in my thoughts as well.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Dreamin how is he this morning?