The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 39 of 334 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

who here loves the feeling of accomplishment that goes with having an awesome lesson? i had that tonight. the mare is really getting the idea of spins and rollbacks and other reining moves. she's using her hind end way better than she ever has. feb 20th will be the day we return to hunterland and see what she'll do.

Hi, new to the Forums, just poking around and found this thread!

I just made it to 52 yrs. old. Started riding again @3 years ago after a 20+ year hiatus. I have a half-lease on my instructor's big handsome chestnut draft cross. He and I will ride in my 2nd ever schooling show on Sunday. Just a couple of flat classes, working on my personal goals for the classes rather than the color of the ribbons.

So great to see so many others doing this and dealing with some of the same time constraints--I don't have kids, but I do have a full-time job and a husband. Oh, and my back hurts!

Looking forward to reading about everyone's experiences.
    ===============
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Welcome 22Almonds! Be sure to let us know how your show goes!
    And nothing bad happened!

Welcome, 22Almonds! I hope you continue to pop in and let us know how everything's going.

Quote Originally Posted by WIExpat View Post
    Agree! I'm liking my dressage work but it is making every ex-hunter rider bone in my body scream!
    I do like dressage. Sorta. I like the bends, I like the individual 'classes' and how you know your test going into it. And that I can show in a polo and white breeches. I like white breeches and needed an excuse to buy some anyway. BUT ... I hate how completely new and unschooled I feel doing dressage. Like a kid who *just* did my first riding lesson. "I was thinking of doing some Intro, uh, things -- uh, shows? No, wait -- tests? Yeah, tests this spring." It feels like I've lost 20 IQ points.

Trainer No. 1 is tickled. damn. pink. about this. She knows I'm a hunter princess through and through and she's getting some serious pleasure watching me do dressage. "Y'know, I bet [my late BNT's name] is rolling in his grave right about now!" (She started out hunters herself, and competed in the same IHSA region/zone I did, but she's been dabbling in dressage for the past couple years. I think she just finds it amusing that I expressed no interest in doing a year ago.)

Hoosier: Good lessons are the very, very best when they're good. I'll be in a good mood for the rest of the week. Conversely, when I have a bad lesson, or just one of 'those' lessons where you didn't really 'feel' it, the bad feeling only lasts for a day or two.
    The dude abides ...

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1 View Post

Hoosier: Good lessons are the very, very best when they're good. I'll be in a good mood for the rest of the week. Conversely, when I have a bad lesson, or just one of 'those' lessons where you didn't really 'feel' it, the bad feeling only lasts for a day or two.
    That's it exactly!

Hi friends. I have read every post of this thread and decided to ask if i could join you? I too am a re-rider, rode until the end of university and then stopped for marriage, career, children. Ive been back for about 5 years now. I have a wonderful horse that i show in the hunters. My son has a horse and will start the low jumpers this year and my daughter has a pony and is just moving up from shorties. I work full time including shiftwork and like everyone else here struggle with juggling "too much to do and not enough time". I also struggle with wanting to improve so much and having my body just not able to do what it used to! When i feel tired or overwhelmed i always come looking for this thread and I feel so much better knowing you guys are out there.
    I hope everybody has a good riding week this week

Hi to 22Almonds and good luck at your upcoming show. Pictures are required.

I myself haven't been doing much, not really riding my own guy because he's at home and I only have access to an outdoor, but I took another lesson on Sunday and it went very well! I felt more fit, and was able to ride longer.

My dressage saddle came in and its lovely, I'm in contact with a dressage trainer and I figure I'll work on flatwork while the weather isn't really that great. So we'll see!!!

Welcome, Hazel G! It's really cool to see so many reriders popping in here!

====

Here's a question for everyone: How's everyone's fitness level in the saddle? Is riding the only exercise you get, or do you try to throw in walking/running, weights, etc? I'm pretty darn out of shape. Like seriously out of shape. I can do a good 10 minutes of trotting without stopping, but when I do, I need 2-3 minutes to recover.

Just curious. I know we've discussed losing weight in this thread, but I was hoping to gauge how 'fit' everyone was and if anyone was trying to improve their level, etc.
    The dude abides ...

Welcome 22Almonds and HazelG!

Thank you for reading up on our misadventures, trials, thrills, ups and downs. And thank you for joining the conversation.

Opus, I try to spend 20 minutes a day on one of those old exercise bikes that has the handles that move back and forth while you pedal. That and two lessons a week keeps me able to keep up with the younger people in my lessons. I'm not in the best of shape, but ok for 56.

My lesson tonight was on a sale pony, and he was so much fun to ride! Some kid is gonna be really, really happy to have him.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Well, I was in grad school until last month (while working full-time), so yeah- riding has been my only exercise for a while! I know I need a LOT more leg strength, though, and I need to do yoga or something to get my hips and lower back more flexible. My canter equitation is something awful.

Right now, my only exercise is at the barn. On weekends I feed, turn out and then two other ladies and I clean the barn - 15 stalls. I am lucky enough to have an 8 -5ish job - ish because I normally work about 60 hours a week.

I brown bag lunch most days, but when I do go get lunch out, I walk - not stroll - walk.

Once time changes, I can ride during the week and will be doing yard work as well.

Like Pony4me - I am not in horrible shape for 56.
    And nothing bad happened!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Looking forward to joining this thread soon...my goal is to be a re-rider sometimes in 2012!! I haven't ridden consistently since 2006 except for the summer of 2009 working at a ranch.

I just need to decide what discipline to get back into - it'll likely be HJ to start with, then we'll see, though I did LOVE riding western at the ranch.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Welcome Event4Life!

Opus, I just joined a gym recently, and Im hoping it will also help me in my riding. Usually I can last 10 min at the trot, but I also need a break. I'm also really tired after doing a flat class at a show. I'm sure that has to do with being more precise about my eq, but its still something I want to get over.

I've been starting slow, because obviously I'm really out of shape, but I figure any little bit helps!!

I just saw this thread - it's perfect! lol I usually stay in The Menagerie because I have five cats and 0 horses, but I do have one to ride, she just isn't mine.

I'm 43 and started riding last year after a 30 year hiatus. It hurts just typing that. lol

I'm a backyard rider - took a few lessons when young, but mostly just rode my pony all over the countryside. I'd get on him and we'd take off down to the river or through the fields around the house. I wish I had some of that bravery now and felt able to take off at a gallop through fields, but I don't bounce as well as I used to

I started taking some lessons last year and have been since then, but very sporadically. Don't have the money or the time to take them very often, but lately I've been able to take one a week.

I'm riding a QH/Appy cross named Misty. Her owner has three kids in school and works full-time so she just doesn't have any spare time and has been letting me ride her and take lessons on her. She's fat as a butterball and isn't used to being ridden often, so we're taking it easy on her til she gets in shape.

I'm kind of glad she's out of shape, because once she gets tired she starts these baby bucks and if she let out a real one I'd probably go flying! lol

So, that's my novel for the day. Love riding and taking lessons! I'm looking forward to the day when I feel like I know just a little. So far the more lessons I take, the more I realize how bad I suck!

Welcome, 22Almonds, HazelG, and Event4Life!

My getting-in-shape plan hasn't been working that well...I decided to do the 10-week plan for the over-40 crowd I linked to earlier in the thread. The idea is good, but I found after the first week or so that some of the exercises, especially the flexibility ones, are really tedious. I am going to do the second week over again and replace some of the exercises on the link with others. I did buy an exercise ball, which came with its own set of suggestions; I think I'll try some of them. Will let you know how it goes!

Welcome to all the new folks on the thread!

I too, am trying to improve my fitness. I was a fitness instructor at a gym for 20 years, but I stopped in 2005 (to make more time for riding) and unfortunately all that fitness is fading away.

I spent a lot of time last weekend cross country skiing. It seems to be a great activity for adding stragth to my legs when I can't ride. But unfortunately, I do still need to join a gym for the remainder of the winter so I can get in some cardio and strength training before spring!

Hi everyone. Thank you for the welcome messages! I'm happy to be here

I have the same issue with fitness. For me the lack of fitness problem is directly linked to the lack of time problem (and my addiction to Starbucks lattes). I try to do pilates and yoga in the mornings to work on my core, but there's so much to do in the mornings that it doesn't always happen. I find the only way I really feel more fit is to use the treadmill, and although I have one at home and one at my office, it's been months since I've been on either one. I ride a minimum of 3 times a week (we have an indoor) and more in the summer. What I have tried to do is consciously think about building up stamina as I ride. Sounds crazy, but I count! So if I am practicing sitting trot I actually count how many trot steps I sit, and then try to sit 10 more the next time (good for my post-baby abs I think) Poor long-suffering horse is very patient with me but will tell me when he's had enough. Husband has a bowflex machine, I keep thinking I'm going to try it but it's in the same category as the treadmill! Not enough time in the morning, working all day, too tired in the evening.

I read the parts about Hunters Rest with interest. I was wondering if anyone has gone on any horse-related holidays? My dream is to go on a riding holiday in Ireland for my 50th birthday present to myself. (coming up sooner than I'd like)

Riding lesson after work today, looking forward to it.

Dewey would you mind linking the get fit plan for the over 40 crowd again? I looked back but can't find the link again Thanks!!

Sure, here it is:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...orkout-routine

Maybe we could do it together!

[QUOTE=HazelG;6100314] Ive been back for about 5 years now. I have a wonderful horse that i show in the hunters. My son has a horse and will start the low jumpers this year and my daughter has a pony and is just moving up from shorties. QUOTE]

I hope this is me in 5 years w/ my little boy and girl!!! Mine are now 5 and 3!

Had a good lesson today on potential lease horse. Hoping to start 2 lessons per week and lease in February, but waiting on all of the details. Really excited about riding more and scared about juggling everything. I just want to ride, ride, ride and improve, improve, improve. Slow going when you don't have your own horse, have limited time to ride, the barn is 30 min away and don't have freedom to just pop in and ride whenever you have the chance.