The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 437 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Welcome to all of the new folks, and happy 2012 to all!

My 2012 goals got totally trashed in mid-December when an MRI revealed that my TB would be on stall rest for at least three months, and not rideable for up to a year. Ouch!

So now I'm riding unfamiliar horses, and trying to keep up with the much younger people in my lessons. I'm 56. The good thing is that I will get used to riding different horses.

So far, two days into 2012, I've done great on exercising! Support is much appreciated!
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Enjoying everyone's contributions this New Year's, and all the new members! Terrific! Also great to have some weight loss support here as well. The mirror in our indoor says it all. I looked at the COTH new fitness FB page starting under the Off Topic thread this weekend, and thought it looks like a lot of young 'uns. So glad to hang out here with our "in" crowd.

Enjoy returning to read of everyone's adventures. Cute horse pics there, ST. I know just how you feel... Glad you're back in the saddle, JT - yes! And thanks to all for the exercise book links.

I have to say, my favorite part of reriding, is taking a whiff of neck daily...which I have to do surreptitiously as I'm afraid if they catch me, they'll think I've lost it. I'm just making up for lost time.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

So my last couple of days have not exactly gone smoothly...

After a lovely warmer than normal weekend, today hit that freaking cold they warned about. Got B's (another OTTB - long race career - a year off and started work in Sept, Leonine...) blankets washed this weekend. At the barn yesterday, as usual even though it was warm outside, the barn was cold - put B on cross ties and picking up his feet whistling as I went - until I got to his R ft, and his knee was blown up. Fortunately, just a reaction to a scrape, and having to stand in the stall, but it was ouchy when touched. Still rode lightly to get him moving. He was not off - just blown up from standing. E-mailed BO to please leave him in today. She didn't get it, and this morning he was turned out in the knee deep half frozen muddy paddock.

Poor guy was not allowed in the run in by big bruiser chestnut, and stood in the paddock with his legs spayed out, afraid to budge. Wouldn't respond to me & once I got his attention, wouldn't come for the carrot. I had to yell at two trying to bully their way through the gate, throwing little chunks of ice to keep them away, and then plow through the muck to pull B back out with me - and it was 9 degrees out! Then hoping to walk him to get him loosened up, I found the BO's pony loose in the indoor. So I just put the poor boy back into his nice warm stall, with his nice hay, and the carrots I had for him, went home, yanked off my icicle laden jeans (must remember to send note to Beans thanking them for keeping my feet dry at least ) and got a hot cup of tea!

Now that he has this blown up knee, I'll have to ride him daily to get it back down in the morning. Am in the middle of nowhere, and this is the only place with an indoor - they do have a good vet, blacksmith, competent trainers to help me with his training, and lovely trails, but the mud, the cold barn, and the icy ways of going are extremely trying. Crossing my fingers that we both make it through this winter in one piece!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Aww, CVPeg, sorry to hear about the knee. We had one of those a few months ago when Z slid into-and-then-over the pasture fence. I must have gone out to feed about 2 minutes after it happened, because I found him standing on the other side of the broken fence looking absolutely shell-shocked and as though he had no idea how he got there. Here's hoping B's clears up quickly! And enjoy that indoor. I'm jealous.

I do miss many things about my younger-rider self: the courage, the willingness to get on any horse, the ability to fall and bounce back up... but my re-rider self is more patient (with the horse, although not necessarily with myself) and understands more. Riding has clicked intellectually for me in ways that it never did before and I understand more clearly what I want from Z and what I'm asking for and why. So I'll take that as a good thing.

Winter is just the worst. I don't think you'll find many places that DONT have frozen mud paddocks right now. I hate it but I really dont know how to combat it, besides re-doing my paddock with geotextile, screenings, etc.

Part of the reason I gave Dublin away is because when not ridden, he was starting to act like a total idiot, and with the paddocks either muddy or frozen solid, I was worried he was going to kill himself. My other two are sensible (aka lazy) and don't run around crazy on that hard ground.

We are having really bizarre weather here. Its warm, then a day later its down to 10 degrees at night. I'm not sure the horses know what to do with their winter coats!!!

Thanks for posting that, Opus. It's very encouraging! I have decided to start with the ten-week program from the link I posted earlier; if I can complete it, I will decide what do do long-term. I doubt I will get a personal trainer (that is so not me), but if I cannot stick to the program by myself, I may have to join an exercise class. We'll see. The ten-week program starts on a weekend with one 30-minute aerobic workout each day complete with recommended warm-up exercises.

I am considering trying to ride my bike to work one day each week starting this coming semester. It's not that far, but the idea of arriving at work sweaty and of not being able to haul my bulging briefcase back and forth has put me off. But let's face it: these are excuses. I should be able to plan around them. I don't use my briefcase every night anyway.

I plan to explore some alternative routes to work on my bike.

Welcome, PonyPenny! I think you will be glad you went back to riding.

If anyone is motivated to do running (outdoor or treadmill) I've done this program before and it really does work, if you stick with it.

http://c25k.com/

Hey guys - quick opinion. I sold a saddle through consignment for $500. If I take store credit I get the full $500. If I take cash they take 25% = $375.

I don't know what to do! I don't shop at stores a lot (I'm an online bargain hunter) and I don't "need" anything. But the cheap side of me doesn't want to lose $125.00!!!

Argh.

Is a 25% commission normal? That seems high to me.

I agree, I think its high, but I knew that going in so I can't really say much now.

I would be inclined to take the cash, but that's because I don't need to make a big purchase. You can look at it that they earned their commission by helping you sell the saddle. You're not losing $125 because to get the full price from them, you have to give up control of your money, which you could put into a savings account to earn interest or spend shopping for better bargains elsewhere.

That's what I'm leaning towards, otherwise, I feel like I'm going to buy stuff I don't need just to "use" the gift certificate.

Yeah, I'd take the cash. By bargain shopping online, you'll probably end up with the same amount of stuff you'd bought if you took their store credit.

The only way I'd keep it, is if I knew I was about to make a couple bigger purchases where it would be handy to have the credit.
    The dude abides ...

I agree - if you don't need anything now that you can use the $500 credit on, I'd take the cash.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I think I have introduced myself to some of you and have been lurking for awhile . I am a re-rider, back to riding for the last 4 months. Rode hunters throughout my childhood until I left for college (16 yr break!). I am obsessed again and so excited to be riding. I am currently doing 1 lesson a week, but am planning to part-lease a horse starting next month (hopefully, if it all works out!). I love reading your stories and can relate to many of you. I have 2 little kids, husband, job, and now added horses back in the mix. Exciting, but scary at the same time to juggle it all!

Had a super awesome lesson on the horse that I may lease this week. She is only 4 and 1/2, but crazily quiet. My trainer started her and rides her several days a week, so she has great habits/start. Little brag---I jumped her 3 ft. Biggest she has jumped yet. It felt amazing. I love how light and quiet she is. I am happy that (as of yet) I am feeling super confident on her. She is a baby, but so much like the horse that I sold right before going to college. He was a super quiet, kind 5 yo. I love the idea of working with a younger horse and growing with them. Maybe it is the mom in me I am still getting my old riding legs back, but excited about the future!

elizabuggy -- good for you on the 3 ft! I'd kill to have the confidence to jump 3 ft. again! Post pics of your soon to be leased mare when you get the chance -- we love pics!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Welcome, Elizabuggy! We look forward to hearing all about your progress with the mare. I love the greenies.

so, i had an awesome lesson on the mare yesterday. she's gotten a good handle on the sliding stops, so we were working on trot and canter pirouettes and lead changes.

a little background: i've ridden off and on since i was 11. rode through high school, stopped during college. got married, rode for a while before and after my first kiddo was born. had a bad fall off a horse and messed up my ankle. went back to riding, then got pregnant again. didn't have time/money until first child was 11. found a barn we love, rode for a year, and bought the mare. she was 7yo, appendix, very downhill, afraid of ground rails. trainer laughed and said, "what the HELL did you get yourself into?" :-D been a work in progress since. march/april of 2010 we had a series of injuries from which i had to rehab the mare. which turned out ok, because we were able to fill in some holes in her training. (by this time i had gotten to be a MUCH better rider. found a nearby barn that had warmbloods to take lessons on. trainer at first barn has no problems with her riders taking lessons at different barns-like clinics)

so now i've written a small novel. hehehe

That's awesome Hoosier!

Can I see pics of all your horses? Even if they're not yours? I think it would be fun to put "faces" to the training.

As for me, my local gym is offering a special and I'm tempted to join. I hate the thought of the gym, but bottom line is, its flipping cold outside, so I'm not doing that, and I am really bad about self-discipline. With a gym, I at least am held accountable ($$) for it. And they have a daycare that my DD really likes. Sigh. I dunno. I really want to get back in shape after the surgery so I'm ready to ride and show this summer, so I think it might be a good choice for me.