The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 190 of 322 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,800 of 6424

Thanks everyone! I had my weekly lesson last night and we had a pretty decent ride, except that JJ decided he wanted to hand-gallop to our warm-up fence that was fun. I talked to my trainer and I'm going to start my lease in July

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Welcome, sara! We should get shirts made for the Plain Bay Horse Club. Love my plain bay. That's a cute pic!
    Yes we should! I've always liked bays with big blazes or lots of white but somehow I fell for one with only a tinyyyy little half-pastern marking. Go figure.

Hi again guys! I finally got a good video uploaded to Youtube of my first time back in the show ring! We won this class! Got lost a little in our first round but love our jump-off! This mare is so very special to me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3sjk2mrZRM

Mind you, this is my little mares 3rd show EVER in her life. She is 13! Not bad, huh??? She absolutely LOVES her job. Needs some strength, hence why she's always flopping leads but I think once we get that down we will be good! Not sure if I mentioned before in my previous post but I raised this mare....sold her...and she came back to me. Biggest blessing ever!

JSE, I can completely tell that your mare loves what she is doing! I feel like she's just thinking the whole course, "Oh boy, another jump! Yes! Ah, another one! C'mon Mom, what's next?" So cute

Cute video, JSE! Glad you did well, and thanks for sharing that.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

She has a heart of gold! Such a great boost of confidence!
    The show bug has bit me though, which my bank account may not like at all!!!
    Wishing you all luck with your re-riding experiences!!! Love to read through here and relate with everyone!

JSE, she is just too cute and her attitude reminds me a lot of Feronia's when Feronia was still jumping: "Wheeeeee!"

I took Feronia up to a friend's barn today; we had a nice, but too-short, session in the indoor and then a brief hack around the property... This included going past some GOATS and Feronia just hates GOATS. But we had my friend's nice steady 5 year old in front of us, and Feronia didn't want to be separated from him, so she went past the GOATS with only a little fuss. (Yes, sigh, the "nice steady horse" in this scenario was the 5 year old, not the 15 year old.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quietann - Reminds me of when I took my lifetime horse to a show when he was 21 just for fun. There were young horses that behaved better than him! lol Was a cool experience and we walked away with some good ribbons for the old man! However, you never would have guessed that he had shown the first 15 years of his life!

jse - very nice video and Congrats! Wish me luck - at month's end I'll be sending in an entry form for my first hunter show!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

quietann - GOATS - I think my guy would have a meltdown - whether or not we had the company of a "steady eddy". And yes, he is 14 going on 2!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

LOL Quietann - that's funny. Ollie doesn't like ponies, of all things. If we're in a lineup at a show, and a pony pulls up next to us, he starts prancing around and getting wide-eyed. It's like he's saying, "THESE ARE DEFORMED HORSES. THEY ARE TOO SMALL! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THEM!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hey guys! I promise I’ll catch up on everyone’s posts sometime this weekend. I have a few updates I wanted to share quick.

Last weekend I had someone come out to look at Velvet. It was one of those things that seemed almost like it was meant to happen, because it was out of the blue. A family had come to the barn so the husband could look at a horse another boarder was selling. My friend and I were talking with the rest of the family and found out the wife was also looking for a horse. They mostly just want to trail ride, which Velvet *loves* and is totally awesome at. So, she brushed Velvet, helped to tack her, and got on for a ride. Velvet absolutely loved these people – she was a superstar for them. The lady was nothing but smiles the entire time she was on Velvet, and when she got off, the husband gave each of the two kids pony rides on Velvet. See? Velvet is an *amazing* horse – she and I just haven’t been on the same wave length for a little while here, and my nervousness makes her very upset. She just needs the right person/people. And I could tell they loved her and she loved them.

I haven’t yet heard back from them, which may not be the best sign, but the way they were talking last weekend (saying “when” Velvet comes to live with them, etc.) I would be shocked if they don’t call me back and make an offer to buy her. We’ll have to wait and see.

Yesterday my goal was to grab Gabriel and head to the mountains for our trail ride. But apparently, we’re not going to get there. He was *so* good for me to give him a bath when I got to the barn. I put him back in his stall after so I could load all the stuff in the trailer, then he nickered to me as I walked back, so I thought, “Aaww – this is a great sign! He really wants me to work with him today.” He’s always been a Nervous Nellie regarding trailers, but over the years I’ve worked with him enough that he gets on pretty easily for me. So, I wasn’t too worried about it.

I took him out and he did get on pretty directly for me. He was blowing and nervous, but he climbed on. I have a used stock trailer that I *just* got road ready and haven’t used before. It’s a slant load with a gate you can close to make it similar to an actual horse trailer with that “slot” to put the horse in. So, I put Gabe in that spot, then tried to close the gate. He’s too big for the slot. Ugh!!! I can’t get it closed. And when I tried to squeeze him a bit to see if I could get it closed, he got upset and kicked out once. I realized he really is too big, so I said, “Ok… Let’s get off and I’ll regroup and make a Plan B.”

I decided I’d tie his head and just give him the whole space back there to move around. Getting him back on was a little tough, but after about 10 minutes of fooling around, he got back on. He was antsy and shaking a little. I tried to be quick, but couldn’t get him tied before he flew backward and off the trailer.

Ok. Plan C. I pre-tied a lead line in the trailer so I’d just have to snap it and “exit stage left” this time. Attempt three took about 15 minutes of fooling with him and a passer-by to be the dressage-whip-at-the-butt person. By this time, he’s getting pretty upset, blowing and getting kinda pushy, all because he’s scared. But he does get on for us. I clip him quickly, take one step backward to start my exit, and he freaks out. He flew backward, but his head was tied, so he started thrashing around to get his head free. His head smacked into my head a few times. I was pinned against the side of the trailer, so I just had to take it. It felt like a lifetime, but was only a few seconds until he broke the clip on the lead line and flew off the back of the trailer. My helper grabbed him up so he didn’t run off.

Nothing was hurt except my head and neck. And I’m very lucky that I wasn’t hurt too badly. I got a couple of small eggs on my head, and scrapes and bruises on my face and neck. But that’s all. I waved the white flag at that point because I just didn’t want to get hurt any worse. I closed up the trailer and drove it back home.

Of course, my non-horsey fiancé was very concerned about me, and gave me a very gentle chastising about being stubborn (guilty as charged) and said I should’ve asked him to come out and help in the first place. He was sure I had a light concussion – I have no idea. I didn’t feel like I did, but he made a good point that, “You don’t get lumps like that on your head from a gentle little tap.” lol And later in the evening he (again gently) tried to tell me horses are very dangerous and I should think twice about this hobby of mine.

Look, we all know that handling these big animals is a little dangerous, and that there is a certain amount of risk involved with it. But we get so much happiness from the good times that it far outweighs the bad experiences. And it is no more risky than any other physically demanding hobby. At least I know he loves me and is trying to look out for me, right?

So, I’m pretty disappointed that I’m not going to get to the trail ride this year. And for the first time ever in almost 8 years of having him, I was so upset with Gabriel yesterday that I couldn’t even say “I love you” to him before I left the barn. But, I’m over it today. It wasn’t really his fault. I know trailering is his Achilles heel. And it was my fault things didn’t go smoothly on the first load. If it had, we’d be out on the trail right now.

As it is, I now have a new thing to work on with Gabriel - *relax* and stand like a gentleman on the trailer, whether you’re gated in or not. We’ll be having regular training sessions for a while until he gets over his fear and can work with me even when things don’t go perfectly smooth once he’s inside. Both Velvet and Rose are awesome with the trailer, but if I have the trailer out for Gabriel, I’ll also play with them just to confirm there are no holes in their training that I just haven’t ever seen yet. I don’t ever want to get caught in a situation like that again.

I'm confident Gabe will get better. When I picked him up from the rescue, he was so bad about loading that it took something like an hour to get him on - and even then, they had to blindfold him and back him on, 'cause that's the only way they could get him up. So, the fact I have him walking on consistently and without much hassle is a small miracle in itself. Now, I have to finish the equation and teach him it's nothing to be fearful of.

OMG, Classy! I'm glad you're OK. Please be careful in future. I would suggest taking an experienced person with you to work with Gabriel and the trailer next time. It's always good to have a helper when you are loading. And at the risk of sounding preachy, never clip the horse's head inside the trailer before the rear gate is closed or tail bar fastened. Exhibit A for the reason why is what happened to you. Get the person helping to close the back while you stand at his head. THEN clip his lead to the trailer.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    LOL Quietann - that's funny. Ollie doesn't like ponies, of all things. If we're in a lineup at a show, and a pony pulls up next to us, he starts prancing around and getting wide-eyed. It's like he's saying, "THESE ARE DEFORMED HORSES. THEY ARE TOO SMALL! SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THEM!"
    Too funny - at the CT this past weekend, Dodger was quite sure that all of the appaloosa's (and there were alot of them) were deformed! On the other hand, he seems to love ponies. The current "love of his life" is a little buckskin pony mare, that is just too cute for words.

Classy - sounds really scary and am so glad that both you and Gabe are OK. Ditto what Dewey said about getting an experienced helper to work with you and Gabe on this - and might I also suggest (at the risk of sounding like a mom) that you wear a helmet next time? I normally only put mine on to ride - but am starting to see the benefit of wearing it all the time - esp for such not so common instances, like trailering.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the helmet is a great suggestion also. I wore a helmet while working on the ground manners of a difficult young horse at our barn and definitely would while working with a horse nervous or inexperienced in loading. Great idea.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    OMG, Classy! I'm glad you're OK. Please be careful in future. I would suggest taking an experienced person with you to work with Gabriel and the trailer next time. It's always good to have a helper when you are loading. And at the risk of sounding preachy, never clip the horse's head inside the trailer before the rear gate is closed or tail bar fastened. Exhibit A for the reason why is what happened to you. Get the person helping to close the back while you stand at his head. THEN clip his lead to the trailer.
    Definitely agree with this! Much rather them fly off the back of the trailer as a result of being untied than be tied and thrash about risking their safety and yours! Totally suggest getting a helper next time! I'm so glad you are ok!!! Trailering makes me very nervous most of the time but I have a system now....my little mare will fly back so I usually load her, exit to get the butt bar, tie her and then lift up my ramp and fasten it all up! I feel like, as I stated before, if she tries to get away and is successful in this situation, it's much less dangerous than if she's tied and can't get away in a small space where she is nervous. She has gotten tons better and if I stick to my system, we are perfectly fine! Good luck next time with Gabe! You'll get there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    jse - very nice video and Congrats! Wish me luck - at month's end I'll be sending in an entry form for my first hunter show!
    Good luck!!!! You will do great!!

Classy - I'm so glad you both came out of it in one piece each! Did you have any symptoms of a concussion? Nausea or dizziness? You can get some pretty bad lumps without a concussion, and vice versa, just depends on how your head/brain moved (with or against each other). If you had any other symptoms it's worth going to get checked out by a doctor.

I feel you about the SO worrying about our choice of sport. My DH totally doesn't get it, he keeps telling me to do dressage if I "have to do that English stuff" (he thinks he's a cowboy ). I knew I loved him when I came out of surgery from a torn rotator cuff (from the fall that stopped me riding for several years), threw up from the anesthesia, and he kissed me and said I was going to be ok. Sometimes they don't understand why we insist on doing the things we do, but if they're good ones they'll support us anyway. And as my instructor told me a few months ago "some people are just horse people, it's just a part of who you are and you can't change it. Especially when you've been hurt, and you're old enough to really understand how dangerous this sport is, and you still keep coming back. You'll never get rid of it so you might as well accept it."

Good luck with the trailering lessons, just keep it slow and steady, he's a good horse and he trusts you, you'll get there in the end. Keep us updated on the velvet situation, they sound like a nice family and I hope it works out!

jse - looking good! I love how she stares down the fences, you can tell she's enjoying it.

Tiger - High five and good luck!

quietann - Aww, she's such a saucy little mare. At least there was no goat related accident (are goats the militant offshoot of the alpaca death squad?).

Painted Hunter - I just laughed so hard I teared up a bit.

My Update - Got to work the chestnut beastie again (hooray for away shows!) and I think there's something in everyone's water, since he was also giving things the crazy eyes today. To be fair I've never seen a standardbred pulling an actual honest-to-god racing-sulky before either, but I think the snorting and blowing at the baby filly that lives 70 feet from him was a bit OTT.

jse- great video! What I loved most is her coming off that vertical at the end of the ring, when you're about to go into the one-stride combo. Her face showed she was LOOKING for the next jump- so cute! you can absolutely tell she adores her job. Love it.