The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 183 of 322 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 6423

Tiger, time does fly, doesn't it? Glad your daughter is riding. It really is something special you can share.

Thanks, I think Nessie's cute, too. She really is actually a pretty quite TB, which I love. I think we'll do well together once we click! (Too bad Nessie sounds like Loch Ness monster!)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Paradox....c'mon down if it's not pouring down rain. I think we're in the 2'6" Special Hunter division b/c I'm not interested in any MTHJA points, and everyone else who's in Modified or Pre-Child/Adult is. And we're not doing the Hunter Derby, but that class is always fun to watch.

Just saw the video of your new girl. She's very cute!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Thanks guys.
    I never had any plans of being a teacher/instructor/what ever so this may be interesting.
    I don't plan on them using the pow's but instead having them in their bag if tricks like draw reins know how to use them but not need them. kwim Like draw reins. Ive had draw reins (same set) since 1980 and I can count on one hand how many times counting the time I was taught to use them and have fingers left over.
    I think Im going to have them both start with basic dressage. you know having to get the horse moving forward properly, and basic movements etc. Maybe training level test 1. As into tests seem to be w/t and they are both beyond w/t.
    And Jumping probably working up to 2' I think is how high they are expected to do at the fair. And dispite the area off the forehand as the QH's appear to do. Maybe I should have them jump higher just because the rule goes always school higher at home than what you show.
    Friend of bar .ka

Haven't been on this thread for a long, long time, but wanted to give you all an update. Hope you are all doing well, your horses are happy, and you're all in good health!

Most recent barn is now past after one year. After nightmare barn from last year, moved to 24/7 turnout in a lovely location with a private barn owner. We had a visiting trainer who was only around in the good weather.

Around Feb, I noticed my horse, B (green, now 10yo OTTB) was really getting ribby. Mentioned it to recent BO. As many other things - you could never mention anything that might ever be construed as criticism, even though she is a novice rider/horse owner - she got her nose bent out of joint. Bent over backwards to try to accommodate the issue - bought a Nibble Net, offered to pay extra for the hay even though he had "unlimited" on the contract. "A friend told her" all horses only need enough hay to eat the first hour after each feeding.

In the meantime, she bought 2 sight unseen, non-vetted green, young ISH from a large stable, pasture setting, because BO is now going to train green horses. Because they were ribby, she decided my horse, the only paying boarder (although pasture boarded paid a rate comparable to local full board because I thought he was being well cared for), should be shoved in together with these fillies in another pasture, in knee deep mud, so she could throw them all "unlimited hay", which was an increase up to 1/2 bale a day each. Told me she'd reverse it if I didn't like the arrangement. Within 2 days it was a nightmare, I asked he be returned to his original paddock, and then she went back on her word.

After a dogged search, found his new barn and was moved within 2 weeks, and am finally where I should have been all along. The bad - over an hour from home. The good - everything else!

My horse is so darn happy. The new barn is a dressage/HJ barn, and I'm working with the dressage trainer, as she's the manager, and an ex groom for an exceptional Grand Prix rider. My horse is back to stall board, but loads of turnout, gets tons of hay, and we're doing the full training package, so she's riding him as well. She has figured out all the quirks the last two places couldn't touch. Finally, after taking him off the track, being with my friend for a year and a half, and a year and a half of my punting with the 2 local barns that weren't exactly "professional" , I'm going to have a legitimate, happy, handsome, really-and-truly trained horse!

I'm having COTH withdrawal, because I don't have to post anymore with issues from whacko trainers/BOs! Just pinching myself that it is as good as it is. And so we'll soon be able to figure out the best job for my guy.

Just wanted to let you all know, in case anyone wondered whatever happened. His progress was going so slowly the last 6 months, and I was treading water for so long, I just was frustrated, and tired of complaining. Even writing the above feels foreign because I'm so happy to have found him a great place - and hoping I never have to complain again!

PS - Oh, and at this barn, they recognize that I do sorta kinda really do know how to ride.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Glad the new barn worked out Peg. It's such a relief when your horse is in a place where competent people are in charge. Too bad it's so far from home, but at least you don't worry about him all the time.

Snickers and I survived our first show back after his September 2011 injury. He was asleep for the warm up before the show. He tried to sleep during his first jumping class, and finally woke up towards the end. By the time we entered the ring for the second jumping class, he remembered his job description and we had a very good round. I don't know if we place, because it was one of those "special hunter" divisions that runs all day at various heights, and pins at the end of the show. Our placing would depend on how well all of the others did, but I was very happy, and so was my trainer. The flat class wasn't so great because he broke from the canter briefly, so we have to work on that. Transitions were all good, but he just needs to collect and package better. Tomorrow I get to ride him and see if he really did survive his show ring experience.

CVpeg, sounds like you are doing quite well. I'm happy for you. Keep in touch letting us know how you are doing.

Pony4me, good job at your show!! I hope Snickers is feeling just as well today. Let us know. I ended up having to go to a function/picnic with my husband. Maybe you can let me know when you are riding some day and I will just come out and meet you! I'm only about ten minutes away from Hunter's Court. I'd love to meet you and your pony.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Today's update....Snick trotted sound both ways, we won the class he was awake for, and also got reserve champion for the division.

Paradox, we have a really fun Tuesday evening 5:30 adult group lesson, and an equally fun Saturday morning 9:30 lesson if you'd like to come over. We always enjoy meeting new people!

Woohoo, pony4me! Glad Snick is sound. That's great!! And wonderful placings. Icing on the cake.

I would love to come watch one of your Tuesday lessons. I would love to come out tomorrow. I have a deposition at 1:00, and I never know how long they will last, but if the attorneys are not long winded, hopefully I will make it to watch and say hello. If you see a lost looking 40-something with blonde hair, that's probably me.

How was everyone's weekend? Quiet here.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Just wanted to make a quick update about the Mag Restore that I started Iris on. We haven't changed anything else, except that the weather has gotten warmer, and she's a different horse after 2 weeks and only half the dosage that was suggested. (Full dosage gave her wet poop). Totally chilled out. She's more like the horse I bought 5 years ago. I've actually been looking forward to going to ride. Even had to add a pair of small spurs, because I couldn't get her out of a jog! My trainer is amazed.

When this bag runs out, I am going to stop the mag and see if she reverts to being more nervous again, to prove to myself that it really is the magnesium.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Awesome, NJR. I'd be curious to hear how she is when you take her back off it for a test. Let us know! Anyway, glad you are enjoying her again!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Just popping in to say that I hope everyone had a great weekend and a great start to this week....Our start to the week is also known as Back To The Swamp Season. This rain is just crazy! We have had one good solid week of sunny weather - enough to get some beautiful hay cut and put up. Footing is crap for riding...times like these I wish I was living back in So. Pines b/c of the wonderful footing. Oh well.

DD is headed to Raleigh with her Junior NCDCTA Club either this weekend or next. She's not showing but they are doing some "walk" test as a club - it's funny, DD said, "I'm always the butt. Why am I the butt? Maybe Tami thinks I do a good haunches in!" I'm thinking, yeah, that's what I'm thinking when you're BEING a butt around here! haha

I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and head to adult dressage camp. It's a weekend boot camp of sorts and the focus is on being fit/strong/correct position of our bodies. Yoga guru is supposed to be there... I'm not sure where my body is when I'm NOT on the horse...not sure I want to open myself up to being the example of what not to do. It's been a long time since I've done "legit" dressage - everything in the past 13 years has focused more on h/j stuff. Keep reminding myself it's only money and I will learn something...stop being a sissy! Oh, to have the body from my 20s again.

Y'all have a good week! Out to finish chores in my waders and snorkel gear!
    Last edited by Finzean; May. 21, 2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: not enough coffee

Paradox, I may not be at HC today. Seems like my farm is the destination for the CL TWH on the Off Course forum, and arrival may be in the late afternoon or early evening. I won't know until later. You are certainly welcome to visit HC anyway. They have a great front porch that faces the ring, and we spend many laid back summer hours sitting on the porch, and talking. People also hang out by the ring and watch the lessons. They are used to random new people showing up. Just introduce yourself, and enjoy.

Default Barn etiquette for newbie owner (sort of long)

*Started my own thread on this topic (slightly different), but thought I would also post here; feel free to delete if that's not appropriate*

I did the requisite Girl Scout riding camp ... cough *30* cough ... years ago, and have always had one or two friends with horses, but it's only in the last 7 years that I've really gotten back into horses. I've been a volunteer equine humane investigator for the 4.5 years, and have read/ done seminars & webinars/gotten an equine science certificate to learn more. I have been riding at a barn for the last five years. My daughter started riding, then it was both of us, then my daughter didn't want to ride anymore and it was just me.

I have honestly probably been a trainer's worst type of student: generally REALLY chickenshit rider anyway (scared of falling due to weight/lack of gracefulness) + erratic schedule, weeks without taking a lesson due to school (returning student at 42 who just graduated), illness, heat (over 95 + liquid air . . . like every single lesson day last summer!), flippin' work nonsense, etc. I am clearly NOT my trainer's bread and butter client! I have always let her know as soon as possible if I can't make it, and even though she tries to brush it off, I pay her for the lesson missed (it works out to about 50% of the time). My lesson time is the last one of the evening, so I'm not throwing off lessons for the rest of the day.

My 13yo DD will also be resuming lessons; I honestly think it was hard for her to be interested/get attached to any horse that wasn't ours (we have before, and they've left/died (naturally)/etc.). We have both made the commitment to be at the barn at least 3-4 times a week (more if she gets into it), and LEARN as much as possible.

I like to say I know enough to be really dangerous -- to me, books are a good basis, but I am lacking in the hands-on, know-things-automatically that you get from working around horses day in and day out. I never hesitate to ask questions if I don't know something, and when I hear something *~*NEW and FABULOUS*~* LOL, I always ask my BM, and she runs down pros and cons.

However, I am making the jump to boarder in June, and I would love to know those little things to avoid that drive BM/BOs and boarders nuts!!

My horse is one that is already at the barn; I will just be taking over board on him. No shoes air-fern pocket 7 yo Percheron gelding with no real vices (can get a little pushy/nippy about treats), special dietary or health requirements. I've known him since he was 18 mos old. He was diagnosed with pretty severe anemia when he arrived (was a bit of a rescue by the asst BM); she put him on PowerHorse and then Red Cell, and he recovered quickly, and subsequently only really needed it in the spring. He was on turnout for 3 years out of state until last September, when he was purchased by someone at the barn, who just decided to sell him back to owner last month (6 months later).

I would like to get medical + liability insurance on him, since he may be used for lessons/part of the drill team, etc; I'm wondering if it's worth it to run a full workup on him to get a baseline reading + check and see where his anemia is (does he need RedCell/PowerHorse or did he grow out of it)?

Thoughts?

Welcome, 2horseygirls. Well, as far as getting a full vet check, that's really a personal decision. I will say that with most of my horses who did not have a high price tag (most of them) I have not done a PPE. I just figured with those particular horses, I would take the risk since I was not out a lot of cash if something should happen. But I think I have a pretty good basic understanding of conformation, etc., and I rode the horses a few times and talked extensively with the previous owner(s) about those horses. Still, sure, something can go wrong. But personally I usually do not do a PPE.

As far as not doing anything annoying for barn owner, don't worry about it. I'm sure every boarder can be annoying in some small way! Just be yourself, enjoy your horse, etc. I guess if I had to give a piece of advice for a new boarder, it would be not to be overly nit-picky with every little thing at first. Use the first month or so to get to know how things work, etc. That is not to say, however, that if you see something going on that you really do not like, that you would keep quiet! You'll get the hang of it. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I finally got to meet Pony4me! I headed out to her farm and got to meet her, her trainer, and her lovely (big) pony, Snickers! Nice place, nice people, and nice horses. I enjoyed it.

Pony4me, how is that TWH doing?
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

NJR: Feronia gets SmartCalm and yes it really does make a difference. It doesn't make her any quieter, but it helps with her focus. I know people quibble over the legality of these supplements all the time, though.

2horseygirls, I agree with everything PF said about your new horse (and congratulations!) I would go ahead and get a baseline on his anemia status, but keep in mind that if you take him off RedCell he may become anemic again. (I have anemia and a double dose of Ferrous Gluconate each day keeps me just inside the normal range for hematocrit etc. But if I get sloppy about it, I become anemic again really fast.)

As for me and the golden pony, we're doing pretty well. Had a scary episode 2 weeks ago where she was suddenly lame at the canter. It was probably a slipped stifle and I am crossing my fingers it doesn't happen again. Of course by the time the vet came 2 days later, she was 100% sound on it. But he did worry about her left hock so we did some X-rays and discovered the joint is in the process of fusing. This can be quite painful until it's completely fused, which could take months, so she's on Previcox now after a week of Bute, and will need a hock injection sometime in the not too distant future.

In the meantime... obviously we lost some riding time to all this, but I have gotten her out on the trails a few times as the window of opportunity before it gets too buggy is closing soon. Here is my favorite view!

We've had some good lessons and I am finding the "go-ey" mare I know and love. Every lesson, however, starts with 10-15 minutes of "you must go forward from a light aid." I find this tiresome, but my trainer has pretty much told me this is the way it is, and as I do it more the time required to get forward might decrease, but not necessarily ever go away. She reminds me that *many* horses are this way, especially those who are achy from arthritis. But if I do this consistently, I consistently end up with a better ride.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Love the pic, QA. Very nice. Looks like a very nice trail, too.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Sorry I haven't been on lately, I've been traveling/lazy. It sounds like things are looking up for everyone though, which I'm happy to see.

I got a little kick in the pants this morning at my lesson (first one in two weeks since I've been gone). It looks like my beloved, flat jumping, basically bombproof schoolie is getting retired, he just can't stay sound. Now I get to ride the one who dumped me spine first onto a fence as my regular lesson horse. The one who is best described as "belligerent." And our day began with the scary gymnastic bounce, bounce, bounce, one stride, two stride. I think it was obvious that I was terrified, but I did it dang it. We actually had a decent lesson if you can ignore the racing around like a loon for ten strides after every fence (he gets strong on the back sides).

So after I did the days course a few times, my trainer beckons me over (silly me thinking he's changing the course), and gives me a little lecture. Basically 'did you freak yourself out so bad worrying that you're now exhausted? Or can you continue? You can stop now, or you can push yourself, either one is ok, but you have to decide.' So I said 'let's continue' and he just had me do the same course once more, and then I was done. I don't know why, it just gave me this vibe like we were talking about more than just the lesson. It was almost like he was asking 'are you going to quit trying to improve because you're scared, or are you going to suck it up and keep trying and become a real rider.' I felt like it was some kind of test.

Me too, it's been awhile - busy, busy weekend, then migraine, now finally catching up.

Button - it may just have been a question - if you're worried about it - ask. Glad you survived though - I hate those little gymnastics too!

Nice view quietann!

Paradox and Pony - glad you got to meet - how fun is that?!

Welcome 2horseygirls!

NJR - glad the MagRestore is working and that you've got your horse back!

Hey CV welcome back!

Had a blast at the mini event and learned a ton. My trainer ended up 5th in her division. She really just went to put some miles on her green bean, so she surprised herself. I really like working with her mare - she is big and can be pushy, but now that she's gotten to know me, she's quite the "pocket pony". Trainer was very pleased with my help - which is never a bad thing!

Hope to finally get a ride in tomorrow. DD has her second lesson on Saturday morning and is really looking forward to it!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

I think it was more, I condensed it down for brevity. There was a part about going and doing dressage instead, and if you're here then you're here to jump. Stuff about not being allowed to progress backward just because I had a fall. It felt like some kind of watershed moment.